Bulgaria is is to hold early elections to end its political crisis.
Prime Minister Boiko Borisov resigned last week over the sometimes violent demonstrations over high electricity prices with thousands accusing the government of being a “Mafia” due to rampant corruption and its failure to improve living standards in the EU poorest state.
The protests have already forced some concessions and President Rosen Plevneliev said necessary key changes in the laws should be decided by a new parliament.
The outgoing prime minister has now been hospitalised with high blood pressure, adding to a sense of political limbo before an interim government is appointed to lead the country to early elections.
Borisov’s departure has failed to fully calm voters. Demonstrations have continued on a smaller scale with large protests planned for the weekend.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 12:23 CET At least 12 Nepali guides killed in Everest avalanche
- 11:55 CET Labour Party hires Obama strategist for 2015 poll
- 11:42 CET Japan to arm remote western island, risking more China tension
- 11:26 CET South Korea ferry captain rushed back to bridge as ship…
- 10:27 CET Iran says will firmly deter any attacks as military displays might
- 09:45 CET As opposition grows, China defends plans for petrochemical plants
- 08:42 CET Fly me to Sochi, demands Cathay passenger armed with chocolate…
- 08:06 CET India’s election commission lifts ban on top Modi aide