Confirmation that Italy’s Northern League has won the governorship of the economic powerhouse of Lombardy has set it up for a renewed power struggle with Rome and Brussels.
Despite winning under four per cent of the vote in the national election, in the separate regional vote Roberto Maroni beat off the centre-left to win with almost 43 per cent support.
The Northern League’s leader lost no time in setting out his agenda. “Our programme is to build up a Northern macro-region able to deal with Rome in order to get everything we want,” he said.
The Northern League’s victory in Lombardy means the party will control all the biggest northern regions, including Piedmont and Veneto.
They alone produce almost 60 per cent of Italy’s wealth. Traditionally eurosceptic, the League is now looking to take advantage of the EU’s own development plan to spread its influence beyond national borders.
“There is a European project to build up a euro-region around the Alps and the Padan Plain (Po Valley),” Maroni says. “It already includes four Italian regions, Slovenia, (the Austrian state of) Carinthia, Switzerland and a French region. This is the euro-region model I want to take shape, emanating from northern Italy.”
The Northern League’s success in the country’s wealthiest and most populous region is a boost for its aspiration to break away from Italy – and for its electoral ally Silvio Berlusconi.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 3Netanyahu warns US Congress against Iran nuclear deal
- 4Artists hints at Monica Lewinsky scandal in Bill Clinton portrait
- 5Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 3Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 4Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 5Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 12Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 18Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 19London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 20Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:43 CET Egypt’s cabinet approves long-awaited investment law – PM
- 11:40 CET Slovenia allows same-sex couples to marry, adopt children
- 11:38 CET Palestinian leadership gathers to review ties with Israel
- 11:35 CET Former allies sue Mugabe and ZANU-PF party for breaching rules
- 11:27 CET Philippines’ Aquino promises police commandos extra resources…
- 11:18 CET Two Malaysians identified in IS beheading video from Syria
- 11:11 CET Russian security service chief says several suspects in Nemtsov…
- 11:01 CET In Gaza, demand grows for a plastic surgeon’s services