Confirmation that Italy’s Northern League has won the governorship of the economic powerhouse of Lombardy has set it up for a renewed power struggle with Rome and Brussels.
Despite winning under four per cent of the vote in the national election, in the separate regional vote Roberto Maroni beat off the centre-left to win with almost 43 per cent support.
The Northern League’s leader lost no time in setting out his agenda. “Our programme is to build up a Northern macro-region able to deal with Rome in order to get everything we want,” he said.
The Northern League’s victory in Lombardy means the party will control all the biggest northern regions, including Piedmont and Veneto.
They alone produce almost 60 per cent of Italy’s wealth. Traditionally eurosceptic, the League is now looking to take advantage of the EU’s own development plan to spread its influence beyond national borders.
“There is a European project to build up a euro-region around the Alps and the Padan Plain (Po Valley),” Maroni says. “It already includes four Italian regions, Slovenia, (the Austrian state of) Carinthia, Switzerland and a French region. This is the euro-region model I want to take shape, emanating from northern Italy.”
The Northern League’s success in the country’s wealthiest and most populous region is a boost for its aspiration to break away from Italy – and for its electoral ally Silvio Berlusconi.
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 3Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:19 CET One dead, two hurt as vehicle tries to ram U.S. spy agency gates
- 23:52 CET Canada-based Iranian filmmaker ‘in good shape’ in Evin prison
- 23:47 CET Exclusive – Pentagon chief sends military wish lists to Congress…
- 22:22 CET Crash pilot had been treated for suicidal tendencies
- 22:17 CET Red Cross driver killed in north Mali attack
- 22:04 CET Rogue Catholic bishops plan to grow schismatic challenge to Rome
- 21:47 CET Mentally ill British man pleads guilty to U.S. terrorism charges
- 20:12 CET Sollecito may seek compensation after Kercher murder acquittals