Confirmation that Italy’s Northern League has won the governorship of the economic powerhouse of Lombardy has set it up for a renewed power struggle with Rome and Brussels.
Despite winning under four per cent of the vote in the national election, in the separate regional vote Roberto Maroni beat off the centre-left to win with almost 43 per cent support.
The Northern League’s leader lost no time in setting out his agenda. “Our programme is to build up a Northern macro-region able to deal with Rome in order to get everything we want,” he said.
The Northern League’s victory in Lombardy means the party will control all the biggest northern regions, including Piedmont and Veneto.
They alone produce almost 60 per cent of Italy’s wealth. Traditionally eurosceptic, the League is now looking to take advantage of the EU’s own development plan to spread its influence beyond national borders.
“There is a European project to build up a euro-region around the Alps and the Padan Plain (Po Valley),” Maroni says. “It already includes four Italian regions, Slovenia, (the Austrian state of) Carinthia, Switzerland and a French region. This is the euro-region model I want to take shape, emanating from northern Italy.”
The Northern League’s success in the country’s wealthiest and most populous region is a boost for its aspiration to break away from Italy – and for its electoral ally Silvio Berlusconi.
- 1Afghanistan wedding party ends in massacre
- 2United Arab Emrates leads way with planned mission to Mars
- 3Fires: thousands in emergency shelters as huge blazes take hold in France and Spain
- 4Kurdish women fighting ISIL on the frontline
- 5Turkey and the US plan ‘ISIL-free’ buffer zone in northern Syria
- 1Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 2Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 3Turkey appears to attack Kurdish targets in Syria, Turkey denies claim
- 4Saudi King flies into Cote d’Azur amid row over beach closure
- 5Sex, drugs and ‘shocking’ behaviour: Lord Sewel steps down amid allegations of lewd conduct
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Turkey’s Erdoğan says he can’t continue peace talks with Kurdish militants
Libya: Colonel Gaddafi’s son Saif al-Islam sentenced to death
Volkswagen overtakes Toyota in race to become king of car makers
South Korea declares end to MERS, World Health Organization exercises caution
Boy Scouts of America lift ban on gay leaders
Wires > News
- 12:13 CET Rajapaksa ‘ready for struggle’ in Sri Lanka comeback bid
- 12:09 CET EU’s Mogherini in Tehran to talk nuclear deal, regional issues – TV
- 11:40 CET Obama heads to African Union at end of tour to build ties
- 11:21 CET Japan approves increase in Fukushima compensation to $57 billion
- 11:01 CET Bangladesh police arrest eight in crackdown on Islamist groups
- 10:58 CET Huckabee’s gas chamber reference to Iran deal draws Israeli…
- 10:55 CET France’s Hollande gambles on jobs growth for second term bid
- 10:35 CET Turkey seeks NATO endorsement in Islamic State fight