Pyongyang has something to tweet about. North Korea has opened up internet access to visiting foreigners. Though locals still have restricted access. Journalists wasted no time in sending some of the first Instagrams from inside the country.
Until January foreigners were forced to leave their phones at the border. The sole mobile phone provider Koryolink, is in charge of operating the 3G network which comes with a hefty price tag. A SIM card necessary to access the service will set you back about 50 euros.
The u-turn on internet access may have been prompted by Google chief, Eric Schmidt’s visit to North Korea in January. He urged North Korea to get more people online saying that isolation would affect economic growth. Over 1 million people in North Korea own mobile devices, but can only access limited services controlled by the state.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 21:40 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 21:29 CET Car bomb in Kenyan capital kills four people
- 21:28 CET U.S. Western Sahara draft urges respecting human rights, no …
- 21:02 CET New law to lure investors to Egypt could feed corruption, critics…
- 20:52 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from US to…
- 20:29 CET South Africa platinum strike talks to continue Thursday
- 20:23 CET Italy’s Berlusconi to start community service work next week
- 20:20 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement