27/02/13 23:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Slovenia has dismissed its conservative-led government and appointed an anti-austerity financial expert as its first female prime minister.
Alenka Bratusek replaces conservative leader Janez Jansa with a mandate to form a new cabinet.
It comes as the Alpine country struggles to avoid a bailout as it tackles its worst crisis in 22 years of independence.
Parliament voted 55 to 33 to dismiss the year-old coalition government. During the debate the 42-year-old centre-left leader quoted a Nobel economics laureate in likening more austerity to “medieval medicine”.
She said her new government’s priority would be growth and employment.
Jansa’s coalition partners had gradually abandoned him this year over a property scandal. He denies any wrongdoing.
The former Yugoslav country had the fastest growing economy in the eurozone when it joined the single currency six years ago.
But the economic downturn ravaged Slovenia’s export market, while billions of euros’ worth of toxic loans did the same to its banks.
It may be hard pushed to repay two billion euros of debt this year.
- 1Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 2Merkel faces call to resign amid migrant crisis criticism
- 3Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
- 4All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 5Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Over 100 arrests made as Paris scuffles precede COP21 climate forum
‘Statelessness, not state’ killed Tahir Elci, claims pro-Kurdish HDP leader
Pope Francis brings message of reconciliation to Central African Republic
Turkey returns body of Russian pilot whose warplane it shot down
Put yourself in their shoes: Paris presents new twist on climate march
Wires > News
- 17:45 CET From penguins to Pope’s shoes, climate rallies pressure U.N. summit
- 17:12 CET Declaring a new start, EU and Turkey set to sign migration deal
- 17:11 CET French minister condemns social exclusion of young Muslims
- 15:55 CET Turkey recovers body of pilot from downed Russian jet
- 15:53 CET Minister signals German trust could handle nuclear waste storage
- 15:24 CET Thousands gather for funeral of top Kurdish lawyer
- 15:13 CET Syria’s Assad says his enemies increasing support for insurgents
- 13:46 CET Slovakia to file lawsuit over EU migrant quotas before December 18…