25/02/13 09:13 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The 85th Academy Awards, commonly known as the Oscars, have been held in Hollywood.
It had been billed as one of the most unpredictable ceremonies for years, with hot competition between Lincoln, Argo and Les Miserables.
First Lady Michelle Obama announced that Argo had won Best Film.
Presidential biopic Lincoln had 12 nominations. Daniel Day-Lewis won an historical third Oscar of his career for his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln.
Best Actress went to Jennifer Lawrence while Anne Hathaway took Best Supporting Actress for her role as the tragic factory worker Fantine in Les Miserables. Christoph Waltz won his second Oscar for best supporting actor in a Quentin Tarantino film, this time Django Unchained.
British singer Adele won the Oscar for best original song for her Bond theme Skyfall.
The French language film Amour has won best foreign film, while this year’s competition saw the oldest ever best actress nominee – 86-year-old French actress and leading lady Emanuelle Riva.
The ceremony has been televised live to more than 225 countries.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 5Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Wires > News
- 17:38 CET Afghanistan sees Taliban leader as rigid conservative uninterested…
- 17:26 CET Sanders may debate Trump, not Clinton, before California contest
- 16:59 CET Migrants stranded in Greece take to fields to avoid state-run camps
- 16:52 CET Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days
- 16:52 CET German police investigate Britons’ Nazi salute at death camp
- 16:48 CET Muslims attack Christians in south Egypt after rumoured affair
- 16:47 CET Ukraine bans Gorbachev over support for Crimea annexation
- 16:36 CET Turkish writer quits UNESCO to protest damage to heritage, rights…