The 85th Academy Awards, commonly known as the Oscars, have been held in Hollywood.
It had been billed as one of the most unpredictable ceremonies for years, with hot competition between Lincoln, Argo and Les Miserables.
First Lady Michelle Obama announced that Argo had won Best Film.
Presidential biopic Lincoln had 12 nominations. Daniel Day-Lewis won an historical third Oscar of his career for his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln.
Best Actress went to Jennifer Lawrence while Anne Hathaway took Best Supporting Actress for her role as the tragic factory worker Fantine in Les Miserables. Christoph Waltz won his second Oscar for best supporting actor in a Quentin Tarantino film, this time Django Unchained.
British singer Adele won the Oscar for best original song for her Bond theme Skyfall.
The French language film Amour has won best foreign film, while this year’s competition saw the oldest ever best actress nominee – 86-year-old French actress and leading lady Emanuelle Riva.
The ceremony has been televised live to more than 225 countries.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 2Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 3Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 4Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 5Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 4Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 5‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 12How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 12:11 CET Eight Pakistani Shi’ites killed in sectarian attack
- 11:52 CET Japan’s top court orders retrial in ‘maternity harassment’ case
- 11:48 CET East of Kobani, Turkish town appreciates ‘peace’ brought by…
- 11:43 CET Burkina Faso opposition challenges president’s bid to extend term
- 11:38 CET Russian prosecutors detain more suspects in Total CEO plane crash
- 11:37 CET Tunisian policeman killed in clash with militants – ministry
- 11:25 CET Special Report – Why Ukraine’s revolution remains unfinished
- 11:01 CET North Korea to bar foreign tourists over Ebola concerns – tour…