The 85th Academy Awards, commonly known as the Oscars, have been held in Hollywood.
It had been billed as one of the most unpredictable ceremonies for years, with hot competition between Lincoln, Argo and Les Miserables.
First Lady Michelle Obama announced that Argo had won Best Film.
Presidential biopic Lincoln had 12 nominations. Daniel Day-Lewis won an historical third Oscar of his career for his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln.
Best Actress went to Jennifer Lawrence while Anne Hathaway took Best Supporting Actress for her role as the tragic factory worker Fantine in Les Miserables. Christoph Waltz won his second Oscar for best supporting actor in a Quentin Tarantino film, this time Django Unchained.
British singer Adele won the Oscar for best original song for her Bond theme Skyfall.
The French language film Amour has won best foreign film, while this year’s competition saw the oldest ever best actress nominee – 86-year-old French actress and leading lady Emanuelle Riva.
The ceremony has been televised live to more than 225 countries.
- 1Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 4Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 5Suspect in French beheading attack admits killing his boss
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > News
- 14:23 CET Malaysia’s opposition demands emergency debate on PM after graft…
- 13:16 CET Islamic State suicide bombers strike in Iraqi refinery town
- 12:57 CET Landmine kills five Ukrainian soldiers in separatist east
- 12:40 CET Lebanese Hezbollah, Syrian army enter rebel-held border city – TV
- 11:30 CET Iran deploys new home-built long-range radar
- 11:22 CET China says tourists attacked in Turkey during anti-China protests
- 11:00 CET Malaysia’s opposition demands emergency debate on PM after graft…
- 08:12 CET China arrests man for suicide ‘rumours’ amid stock market rout -…