The 85th Academy Awards, commonly known as the Oscars, have been held in Hollywood.
It had been billed as one of the most unpredictable ceremonies for years, with hot competition between Lincoln, Argo and Les Miserables.
First Lady Michelle Obama announced that Argo had won Best Film.
Presidential biopic Lincoln had 12 nominations. Daniel Day-Lewis won an historical third Oscar of his career for his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln.
Best Actress went to Jennifer Lawrence while Anne Hathaway took Best Supporting Actress for her role as the tragic factory worker Fantine in Les Miserables. Christoph Waltz won his second Oscar for best supporting actor in a Quentin Tarantino film, this time Django Unchained.
British singer Adele won the Oscar for best original song for her Bond theme Skyfall.
The French language film Amour has won best foreign film, while this year’s competition saw the oldest ever best actress nominee – 86-year-old French actress and leading lady Emanuelle Riva.
The ceremony has been televised live to more than 225 countries.
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Destination northern Europe: thousands make daily ‘journey of death’
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 5Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 23:04 CET Analysis – Japan nuclear power outlook bleak despite first reactor…
- 23:00 CET Car bomb damages Italy’s ENI joint venture office in Libyan capital
- 22:20 CET Syrian court acquits free-speech campaigner
- 22:15 CET Greek banks must be recapitalised before capital controls go -…
- 21:56 CET Turkish court charges Vice News reporters with terrorism links
- 21:27 CET Fukushima-related child cancers unlikely to rise – IAEA
- 21:15 CET Blast reported at chemical plant in northern China
- 21:10 CET New batch of Hillary Clinton emails to be released at 9 p.m. -…