The 85th Academy Awards, commonly known as the Oscars, have been held in Hollywood.
It had been billed as one of the most unpredictable ceremonies for years, with hot competition between Lincoln, Argo and Les Miserables.
First Lady Michelle Obama announced that Argo had won Best Film.
Presidential biopic Lincoln had 12 nominations. Daniel Day-Lewis won an historical third Oscar of his career for his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln.
Best Actress went to Jennifer Lawrence while Anne Hathaway took Best Supporting Actress for her role as the tragic factory worker Fantine in Les Miserables. Christoph Waltz won his second Oscar for best supporting actor in a Quentin Tarantino film, this time Django Unchained.
British singer Adele won the Oscar for best original song for her Bond theme Skyfall.
The French language film Amour has won best foreign film, while this year’s competition saw the oldest ever best actress nominee – 86-year-old French actress and leading lady Emanuelle Riva.
The ceremony has been televised live to more than 225 countries.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 12:59 CET EU’s Ashton to stay on until end of Iran nuclear talks
- 12:54 CET Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to…
- 12:46 CET Bus accident kills 20 in Bangladesh, leaves 30 injured
- 12:08 CET Japanese PM Abe suffers setback as two ministers quit
- 11:28 CET China likely will never open all files on painful past, official…
- 11:09 CET Japan to send team to North Korea for update on abductions
- 10:10 CET Reform-minded outsider Widodo takes over as Indonesia’s president
- 09:28 CET Polish president wants euro decision after 2015 vote – report