South Korea’s new president Park Geun-hye has urged North Korea to abandon its nuclear ambitions, and to stop wasting its scarce resources on arms, less than two weeks after the country carried out its third nuclear test.
In her inauguration speech, the country’s first female leader offered the impoverished and isolated neighbour aid and trade if it gave up its nuclear programme.
“Trust can be built through dialogue and by honouring promises that have already been made,” she said. “It is my hope that North Korea will abide by international norms and make the right choice so that the trust-building process on the Korean peninsula can move forward,” she added.
Park also called on South Koreans to help revive the nation’s export-dependent economy whose trade is threatened by neighbouring Japan’s weak yen policy.
And the 70,000 strong crowd was also urged to move by rap sensation Psy, who performed his “Gangnam Style” hit, but without some of the raunchier actions.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 16:50 CET Swiss politician raises idea of new immigration vote
- 16:39 CET Jailed Venezuelan opposition leader Lopez says on hunger strike
- 16:36 CET Nepalese river blocked by landslide flowing again
- 16:28 CET Troubled new Berlin airport won’t be a white elephant, official…
- 16:12 CET Mathematician who inspired ‘A Beautiful Mind’ killed in auto…
- 15:57 CET Argentine election frontrunners nearly neck and neck – poll
- 15:57 CET Libyan government warplanes attack ship near port – air force…
- 15:13 CET Syria says Islamic State executes hundreds in Palmyra