South Korea’s new president Park Geun-hye has urged North Korea to abandon its nuclear ambitions, and to stop wasting its scarce resources on arms, less than two weeks after the country carried out its third nuclear test.
In her inauguration speech, the country’s first female leader offered the impoverished and isolated neighbour aid and trade if it gave up its nuclear programme.
“Trust can be built through dialogue and by honouring promises that have already been made,” she said. “It is my hope that North Korea will abide by international norms and make the right choice so that the trust-building process on the Korean peninsula can move forward,” she added.
Park also called on South Koreans to help revive the nation’s export-dependent economy whose trade is threatened by neighbouring Japan’s weak yen policy.
And the 70,000 strong crowd was also urged to move by rap sensation Psy, who performed his “Gangnam Style” hit, but without some of the raunchier actions.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics
Venezuela opposition group favourite to win December vote
Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
Families of MH370 victims renew talk of compensation after debris find
Zimbabwe minister calls for extradition of US dentist who killed Cecil the Lion
Wires > News
- 15:14 CET Zimbabwe calls for extradition of Cecil the lion’s killer
- 15:08 CET China, Southeast Asia to set up hotline for South China Sea issues
- 15:01 CET U.S.-led coalition stages 41 air strikes on Islamic State -…
- 14:25 CET Austria admits flaws in handling refugees, pledges action
- 14:22 CET Tunisia extends state of emergency for two more months – presidency
- 14:18 CET Exclusive – Walkout at Taliban leadership meeting raises spectre…
- 13:56 CET Gunmen open fire at Sri Lanka election rally, one dead
- 13:53 CET Suicide bomber kills six, injures 11 in Nigeria market – NEMA