South Korea’s new president Park Geun-hye has urged North Korea to abandon its nuclear ambitions, and to stop wasting its scarce resources on arms, less than two weeks after the country carried out its third nuclear test.
In her inauguration speech, the country’s first female leader offered the impoverished and isolated neighbour aid and trade if it gave up its nuclear programme.
“Trust can be built through dialogue and by honouring promises that have already been made,” she said. “It is my hope that North Korea will abide by international norms and make the right choice so that the trust-building process on the Korean peninsula can move forward,” she added.
Park also called on South Koreans to help revive the nation’s export-dependent economy whose trade is threatened by neighbouring Japan’s weak yen policy.
And the 70,000 strong crowd was also urged to move by rap sensation Psy, who performed his “Gangnam Style” hit, but without some of the raunchier actions.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 3Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 4Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
Wires > News
- 16:52 CET Dinner with Suu Kyi? – No thanks, say Myanmar military
- 16:49 CET In Syria, desperate residents see little hope in U.N. Aleppo truce…
- 16:31 CET Venezuela says 13 inmates die of overdose after robbing infirmary…
- 16:23 CET Israel says foiled Hamas plans for Jerusalem attacks
- 16:19 CET Venezuela suspends some private jet flights in security operation
- 16:17 CET Explosion, gunfire heard in diplomatic quarter of Afghan capital
- 16:15 CET Insight – Army splits that let Yemen’s capital fall augur new risks
- 15:30 CET ‘Hugo Chavez studies’: Venezuela’s latest academic trend