Argo has won the 2013 Academy Award for Best Film, while Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln) and Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook) won the prizes of Best Actor and Best Actress respectively. Day-Lewis becomes the first person to win a hat-trick of Best Actor prizes.
Argo was directed by Ben Affleck, who was not in the running for Best Director, a prize won by Taiwanese director Ang Lee. It was his third Oscar as director (after Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Brokeback Mountain) and was earned for bringing Yann Martel’s book Life of Pi to the big screen.
More love for 'Amour'
Amour, Austrian film-maker Michael Haneke’s French-language drama about the relationship of an elderly couple won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film. It had previously claimed, among other international prizes, the Palme d’Or at Cannes and the Best Foreign Language Film award at the British BAFTAs.
Christoph Waltz scooped the Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained. Waltz had already received an Oscar in 2010 thanks to his work in Inglorious Basterds, also by Tarantino. Anne Hathaway won Best Supporting Actress, having been the bookmakers’ favourite thanks to her electric performance in Les Misérables.
And the winners are…
Argo (X2): Best Picture; Best Film Editing
Daniel Day-Lewis: Best Actor (Lincoln)
Jennifer Lawrence: Best Actress (Silver Linings Playbook)
Ang Lee: Best Director (Life of Pi)
Anne Hathaway: Best Supporting Actress (Les Miserables)
Christoph Waltz: Best Supporting Actor (Django Unchained)
Quentin Tarantino: Best Original Screenplay (Django Unchained)
Chris Terrio: Best Adapted Screenplay (Argo)
Amour: Best Foreign Language Film
Life of Pi (X3): Best Cinematography; Visual Effects; Original Score
Les Miserables (X2): Best Make-up & Hair; Sound Mixing
Skyfall (X2): Best Sound Editing*; Best Original Song
Lincoln: Best Production Design
Zero Dark Thirty: Best Sound Editing*
Anna Karenina: Best Costume Design
Searching for Sugar Man: Best Documentary feature
Paperman: Best Animated Short
Brave: Best Animated Feature
Curfew: Best Live Action Short
Inocente: Best Documentary Short
Quentin Tarantino won his second Oscar for Best Original Screenplay (after Pulp Fiction in 1995) for writing the script for Django Unchained. Chris Terrio (Argo) won Best Adapted Screenplay.
British singer Adele collected the Best Original Song prize for singing Skyfall from the eponymous James Bond film. It is the first time a Bond theme song has won the award.
Four gongs for Life of Pi
In an open field, no film swept the board. In total, Life of Pi collected four Oscars, ahead of Les Miserables and Argo, which both took three. Django Unchained, Lincoln and Skyfall each go home with two statuettes.
Hosting the 85th Academy Award ceremony was Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane who got proceedings under way with a song about films in which he saw the breasts of the various actresses at the venue.
Earlier, a galaxy of Hollywood stars fought to win the battle for the ‘Best Dressed’ on the Oscars Red Carpet. In a poll of Twitter users that honour went to Best Actress Jennifer Lawrence (see below), making it a night to remember for the 22-year-old girl from Kentucky.
Emad Burnat, the maker of nominated Palestinian Film “5 Broken Cameras” & his family at the #oscars
<a href="https://twitter.com/5brokencameras">5brokencameras</a> <a href="http://t.co/LfP2f3wsgB" title="http://twitter.com/IQ_iman/status/305829119483072512/photo/1">twitter.com/IQ_iman/status…</a></p>— Iman(IQ_iman) February 24, 2013
Move over young ones! Jane Fonda’s custom #Versace is nothing short of stunning. #oscars2013
<a href="https://twitter.com/theacademy">theacademy</a> <a href="http://t.co/y7o061Q2dA" title="http://twitpic.com/c6lzuz">twitpic.com/c6lzuz</a></p>— AVA Online Group (AVAPhils) February 25, 2013
HELLO! (@hellomag) February 24, 2013
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 3Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different?
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 12:05 CET Finnish military fires depth charges at suspected submarine
- 11:42 CET Bangladesh opposition boycotts mayoral elections as being rigged
- 11:40 CET China protests over shelling as Myanmar battles insurgents
- 11:30 CET Two projectiles hit Israeli-occupied Golan, no casualties -…
- 11:29 CET Hundreds march in Burundi against president’s bid for third term
- 11:24 CET Syria’s defence minister leads delegation to Iran – al-Manar TV
- 11:23 CET China “extremely concerned” by ASEAN statement on disputed sea
- 11:22 CET Taliban, Afghan forces battle for control of northern city