Argo has won the 2013 Academy Award for Best Film, while Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln) and Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook) won the prizes of Best Actor and Best Actress respectively. Day-Lewis becomes the first person to win a hat-trick of Best Actor prizes.
Argo was directed by Ben Affleck, who was not in the running for Best Director, a prize won by Taiwanese director Ang Lee. It was his third Oscar as director (after Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Brokeback Mountain) and was earned for bringing Yann Martel’s book Life of Pi to the big screen.
More love for 'Amour'
Amour, Austrian film-maker Michael Haneke’s French-language drama about the relationship of an elderly couple won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film. It had previously claimed, among other international prizes, the Palme d’Or at Cannes and the Best Foreign Language Film award at the British BAFTAs.
Christoph Waltz scooped the Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained. Waltz had already received an Oscar in 2010 thanks to his work in Inglorious Basterds, also by Tarantino. Anne Hathaway won Best Supporting Actress, having been the bookmakers’ favourite thanks to her electric performance in Les Misérables.
And the winners are…
Argo (X2): Best Picture; Best Film Editing
Daniel Day-Lewis: Best Actor (Lincoln)
Jennifer Lawrence: Best Actress (Silver Linings Playbook)
Ang Lee: Best Director (Life of Pi)
Anne Hathaway: Best Supporting Actress (Les Miserables)
Christoph Waltz: Best Supporting Actor (Django Unchained)
Quentin Tarantino: Best Original Screenplay (Django Unchained)
Chris Terrio: Best Adapted Screenplay (Argo)
Amour: Best Foreign Language Film
Life of Pi (X3): Best Cinematography; Visual Effects; Original Score
Les Miserables (X2): Best Make-up & Hair; Sound Mixing
Skyfall (X2): Best Sound Editing*; Best Original Song
Lincoln: Best Production Design
Zero Dark Thirty: Best Sound Editing*
Anna Karenina: Best Costume Design
Searching for Sugar Man: Best Documentary feature
Paperman: Best Animated Short
Brave: Best Animated Feature
Curfew: Best Live Action Short
Inocente: Best Documentary Short
Quentin Tarantino won his second Oscar for Best Original Screenplay (after Pulp Fiction in 1995) for writing the script for Django Unchained. Chris Terrio (Argo) won Best Adapted Screenplay.
British singer Adele collected the Best Original Song prize for singing Skyfall from the eponymous James Bond film. It is the first time a Bond theme song has won the award.
Four gongs for Life of Pi
In an open field, no film swept the board. In total, Life of Pi collected four Oscars, ahead of Les Miserables and Argo, which both took three. Django Unchained, Lincoln and Skyfall each go home with two statuettes.
Hosting the 85th Academy Award ceremony was Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane who got proceedings under way with a song about films in which he saw the breasts of the various actresses at the venue.
Earlier, a galaxy of Hollywood stars fought to win the battle for the ‘Best Dressed’ on the Oscars Red Carpet. In a poll of Twitter users that honour went to Best Actress Jennifer Lawrence (see below), making it a night to remember for the 22-year-old girl from Kentucky.
Emad Burnat, the maker of nominated Palestinian Film “5 Broken Cameras” & his family at the #oscars
<a href="https://twitter.com/5brokencameras">5brokencameras</a> <a href="http://t.co/LfP2f3wsgB" title="http://twitter.com/IQ_iman/status/305829119483072512/photo/1">twitter.com/IQ_iman/status…</a></p>— Iman(IQ_iman) February 24, 2013
Move over young ones! Jane Fonda’s custom #Versace is nothing short of stunning. #oscars2013
<a href="https://twitter.com/theacademy">theacademy</a> <a href="http://t.co/y7o061Q2dA" title="http://twitpic.com/c6lzuz">twitpic.com/c6lzuz</a></p>— AVA Online Group (AVAPhils) February 25, 2013
HELLO! (@hellomag) February 24, 2013
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Channel Tunnel: one dies, COBRA meets in London
Syria: counting the humanitarian cost
USA: Israeli spy Pollard to be released after 30 years in jail
Outrage after Zimbabwe’s Cecil the lion is killed by an American dentist
Ukraine bans French actor Gerard Depardieu over support for Crimea annexation
Wires > News
- 10:57 CET Saudi soldier killed in shooting in eastern district – SPA
- 10:51 CET Poland’s richest man, Jan Kulczyk, dies at 65
- 09:50 CET Fabius, visiting Tehran, invites Rouhani to France
- 09:38 CET Merkel’s Bavarian ally says Grexit would cause ‘utter chaos’
- 09:03 CET Chinese airport closed after arson attack aboard plane
- 08:43 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 08:11 CET Pakistan police say kill leader of banned sectarian group
- 07:45 CET Malaysian probe into fund scandal stalls after PM sacks deputy