Argo has won the 2013 Academy Award for Best Film, while Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln) and Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook) won the prizes of Best Actor and Best Actress respectively. Day-Lewis becomes the first person to win a hat-trick of Best Actor prizes.
Argo was directed by Ben Affleck, who was not in the running for Best Director, a prize won by Taiwanese director Ang Lee. It was his third Oscar as director (after Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Brokeback Mountain) and was earned for bringing Yann Martel’s book Life of Pi to the big screen.
More love for 'Amour'
Amour, Austrian film-maker Michael Haneke’s French-language drama about the relationship of an elderly couple won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film. It had previously claimed, among other international prizes, the Palme d’Or at Cannes and the Best Foreign Language Film award at the British BAFTAs.
Christoph Waltz scooped the Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained. Waltz had already received an Oscar in 2010 thanks to his work in Inglorious Basterds, also by Tarantino. Anne Hathaway won Best Supporting Actress, having been the bookmakers’ favourite thanks to her electric performance in Les Misérables.
And the winners are…
Argo (X2): Best Picture; Best Film Editing
Daniel Day-Lewis: Best Actor (Lincoln)
Jennifer Lawrence: Best Actress (Silver Linings Playbook)
Ang Lee: Best Director (Life of Pi)
Anne Hathaway: Best Supporting Actress (Les Miserables)
Christoph Waltz: Best Supporting Actor (Django Unchained)
Quentin Tarantino: Best Original Screenplay (Django Unchained)
Chris Terrio: Best Adapted Screenplay (Argo)
Amour: Best Foreign Language Film
Life of Pi (X3): Best Cinematography; Visual Effects; Original Score
Les Miserables (X2): Best Make-up & Hair; Sound Mixing
Skyfall (X2): Best Sound Editing*; Best Original Song
Lincoln: Best Production Design
Zero Dark Thirty: Best Sound Editing*
Anna Karenina: Best Costume Design
Searching for Sugar Man: Best Documentary feature
Paperman: Best Animated Short
Brave: Best Animated Feature
Curfew: Best Live Action Short
Inocente: Best Documentary Short
Quentin Tarantino won his second Oscar for Best Original Screenplay (after Pulp Fiction in 1995) for writing the script for Django Unchained. Chris Terrio (Argo) won Best Adapted Screenplay.
British singer Adele collected the Best Original Song prize for singing Skyfall from the eponymous James Bond film. It is the first time a Bond theme song has won the award.
Four gongs for Life of Pi
In an open field, no film swept the board. In total, Life of Pi collected four Oscars, ahead of Les Miserables and Argo, which both took three. Django Unchained, Lincoln and Skyfall each go home with two statuettes.
Hosting the 85th Academy Award ceremony was Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane who got proceedings under way with a song about films in which he saw the breasts of the various actresses at the venue.
Earlier, a galaxy of Hollywood stars fought to win the battle for the ‘Best Dressed’ on the Oscars Red Carpet. In a poll of Twitter users that honour went to Best Actress Jennifer Lawrence (see below), making it a night to remember for the 22-year-old girl from Kentucky.
Emad Burnat, the maker of nominated Palestinian Film “5 Broken Cameras” & his family at the #oscars
<a href="https://twitter.com/5brokencameras">5brokencameras</a> <a href="http://t.co/LfP2f3wsgB" title="http://twitter.com/IQ_iman/status/305829119483072512/photo/1">twitter.com/IQ_iman/status…</a></p>— Iman(IQ_iman) February 24, 2013
Move over young ones! Jane Fonda’s custom #Versace is nothing short of stunning. #oscars2013
<a href="https://twitter.com/theacademy">theacademy</a> <a href="http://t.co/y7o061Q2dA" title="http://twitpic.com/c6lzuz">twitpic.com/c6lzuz</a></p>— AVA Online Group (AVAPhils) February 25, 2013
HELLO! (@hellomag) February 24, 2013
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA likely to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 3‘Russia needs to return Crimea to Ukraine,’ says Kyiv official
- 4Japan outrage at ISIL claims it has executed hostage Haruna Yukawa
- 5US and EU officials condemn deadly rocket attacks in Mariupol
- 1Where do YOU rank on the world’s wealth scale?
- 2Kyiv claims victory in new battle for control of Donetsk airport
- 3Anti-Charlie protests turn violent in Niger, Pakistan and Algeria
- 4Pope Francis says Catholics don’t need to breed ‘like rabbits’
- 5Pupil power shames police in Nairobi as Kenyan school protest goes global
- 1The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 9Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 12Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:08 CET Nigeria repels suspected Boko Haram attack on Maiduguri city
- 21:00 CET Honduran president says military crackdown has cut murder rate
- 20:55 CET U.N. to hold new Libya talks, gunmen kidnap deputy foreign minister
- 20:53 CET Greece’s Syriza on verge of outright majority in vote
- 20:44 CET Talks to end Yemen’s political crisis falter
- 20:23 CET Netanyahu defends planned Congress speech as anti-Iran strategy
- 19:53 CET After Ebola, WHO to set up contingency fund, develop ‘surge…
- 18:35 CET Obama reveals nuclear breakthrough on landmark India trip