Argo has won the 2013 Academy Award for Best Film, while Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln) and Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook) won the prizes of Best Actor and Best Actress respectively. Day-Lewis becomes the first person to win a hat-trick of Best Actor prizes.
Argo was directed by Ben Affleck, who was not in the running for Best Director, a prize won by Taiwanese director Ang Lee. It was his third Oscar as director (after Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Brokeback Mountain) and was earned for bringing Yann Martel’s book Life of Pi to the big screen.
More love for 'Amour'
Amour, Austrian film-maker Michael Haneke’s French-language drama about the relationship of an elderly couple won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film. It had previously claimed, among other international prizes, the Palme d’Or at Cannes and the Best Foreign Language Film award at the British BAFTAs.
Christoph Waltz scooped the Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained. Waltz had already received an Oscar in 2010 thanks to his work in Inglorious Basterds, also by Tarantino. Anne Hathaway won Best Supporting Actress, having been the bookmakers’ favourite thanks to her electric performance in Les Misérables.
And the winners are…
Argo (X2): Best Picture; Best Film Editing
Daniel Day-Lewis: Best Actor (Lincoln)
Jennifer Lawrence: Best Actress (Silver Linings Playbook)
Ang Lee: Best Director (Life of Pi)
Anne Hathaway: Best Supporting Actress (Les Miserables)
Christoph Waltz: Best Supporting Actor (Django Unchained)
Quentin Tarantino: Best Original Screenplay (Django Unchained)
Chris Terrio: Best Adapted Screenplay (Argo)
Amour: Best Foreign Language Film
Life of Pi (X3): Best Cinematography; Visual Effects; Original Score
Les Miserables (X2): Best Make-up & Hair; Sound Mixing
Skyfall (X2): Best Sound Editing*; Best Original Song
Lincoln: Best Production Design
Zero Dark Thirty: Best Sound Editing*
Anna Karenina: Best Costume Design
Searching for Sugar Man: Best Documentary feature
Paperman: Best Animated Short
Brave: Best Animated Feature
Curfew: Best Live Action Short
Inocente: Best Documentary Short
Quentin Tarantino won his second Oscar for Best Original Screenplay (after Pulp Fiction in 1995) for writing the script for Django Unchained. Chris Terrio (Argo) won Best Adapted Screenplay.
British singer Adele collected the Best Original Song prize for singing Skyfall from the eponymous James Bond film. It is the first time a Bond theme song has won the award.
Four gongs for Life of Pi
In an open field, no film swept the board. In total, Life of Pi collected four Oscars, ahead of Les Miserables and Argo, which both took three. Django Unchained, Lincoln and Skyfall each go home with two statuettes.
Hosting the 85th Academy Award ceremony was Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane who got proceedings under way with a song about films in which he saw the breasts of the various actresses at the venue.
Earlier, a galaxy of Hollywood stars fought to win the battle for the ‘Best Dressed’ on the Oscars Red Carpet. In a poll of Twitter users that honour went to Best Actress Jennifer Lawrence (see below), making it a night to remember for the 22-year-old girl from Kentucky.
Emad Burnat, the maker of nominated Palestinian Film “5 Broken Cameras” & his family at the #oscars
<a href="https://twitter.com/5brokencameras">5brokencameras</a> <a href="http://t.co/LfP2f3wsgB" title="http://twitter.com/IQ_iman/status/305829119483072512/photo/1">twitter.com/IQ_iman/status…</a></p>— Iman(IQ_iman) February 24, 2013
Move over young ones! Jane Fonda’s custom #Versace is nothing short of stunning. #oscars2013
<a href="https://twitter.com/theacademy">theacademy</a> <a href="http://t.co/y7o061Q2dA" title="http://twitpic.com/c6lzuz">twitpic.com/c6lzuz</a></p>— AVA Online Group (AVAPhils) February 25, 2013
HELLO! (@hellomag) February 24, 2013
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 2[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 3Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 4‘No survivors’ as 33 people are confirmed dead in Ukraine mine blast
- 5Germany’s Merkel rebuffs talk of new Greek bailout
- 1Australian drug smugglers Chan and Sukumaran moved to ‘Indonesia’s Alcatraz’
- 2Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 3[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 4Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage
- 5Driving the future: the highlights of Press Day at the Geneva Motor Show
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Australian drug smugglers Chan and Sukumaran moved to ‘Indonesia’s Alcatraz’
- 4[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 5Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 18Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 19Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 07:41 CET Kidnapped Iranian diplomat held in Yemen since 2013 freed – Iran…
- 07:38 CET U.S. Syria strategy falters with collapse of rebel group
- 07:15 CET Hillary Clinton’s focus on women’s pay may resonate broadly – poll
- 07:12 CET Embattled Hillary Clinton urges U.S. State Department to release…
- 07:11 CET Syria opposition turns to internal opponents
- 07:02 CET Knife-wielding attacker slashes face of U.S. ambassador in South…
- 06:19 CET Two Germans to be caned, jailed for train graffiti in Singapore
- 05:41 CET Modi to ramp up help for Indian Ocean nations to counter China…