Argo has won the 2013 Academy Award for Best Film, while Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln) and Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook) won the prizes of Best Actor and Best Actress respectively. Day-Lewis becomes the first person to win a hat-trick of Best Actor prizes.
Argo was directed by Ben Affleck, who was not in the running for Best Director, a prize won by Taiwanese director Ang Lee. It was his third Oscar as director (after Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Brokeback Mountain) and was earned for bringing Yann Martel’s book Life of Pi to the big screen.
More love for 'Amour'
Amour, Austrian film-maker Michael Haneke’s French-language drama about the relationship of an elderly couple won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film. It had previously claimed, among other international prizes, the Palme d’Or at Cannes and the Best Foreign Language Film award at the British BAFTAs.
Christoph Waltz scooped the Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained. Waltz had already received an Oscar in 2010 thanks to his work in Inglorious Basterds, also by Tarantino. Anne Hathaway won Best Supporting Actress, having been the bookmakers’ favourite thanks to her electric performance in Les Misérables.
And the winners are…
Argo (X2): Best Picture; Best Film Editing
Daniel Day-Lewis: Best Actor (Lincoln)
Jennifer Lawrence: Best Actress (Silver Linings Playbook)
Ang Lee: Best Director (Life of Pi)
Anne Hathaway: Best Supporting Actress (Les Miserables)
Christoph Waltz: Best Supporting Actor (Django Unchained)
Quentin Tarantino: Best Original Screenplay (Django Unchained)
Chris Terrio: Best Adapted Screenplay (Argo)
Amour: Best Foreign Language Film
Life of Pi (X3): Best Cinematography; Visual Effects; Original Score
Les Miserables (X2): Best Make-up & Hair; Sound Mixing
Skyfall (X2): Best Sound Editing*; Best Original Song
Lincoln: Best Production Design
Zero Dark Thirty: Best Sound Editing*
Anna Karenina: Best Costume Design
Searching for Sugar Man: Best Documentary feature
Paperman: Best Animated Short
Brave: Best Animated Feature
Curfew: Best Live Action Short
Inocente: Best Documentary Short
Quentin Tarantino won his second Oscar for Best Original Screenplay (after Pulp Fiction in 1995) for writing the script for Django Unchained. Chris Terrio (Argo) won Best Adapted Screenplay.
British singer Adele collected the Best Original Song prize for singing Skyfall from the eponymous James Bond film. It is the first time a Bond theme song has won the award.
Four gongs for Life of Pi
In an open field, no film swept the board. In total, Life of Pi collected four Oscars, ahead of Les Miserables and Argo, which both took three. Django Unchained, Lincoln and Skyfall each go home with two statuettes.
Hosting the 85th Academy Award ceremony was Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane who got proceedings under way with a song about films in which he saw the breasts of the various actresses at the venue.
Earlier, a galaxy of Hollywood stars fought to win the battle for the ‘Best Dressed’ on the Oscars Red Carpet. In a poll of Twitter users that honour went to Best Actress Jennifer Lawrence (see below), making it a night to remember for the 22-year-old girl from Kentucky.
Emad Burnat, the maker of nominated Palestinian Film “5 Broken Cameras” & his family at the #oscars
<a href="https://twitter.com/5brokencameras">5brokencameras</a> <a href="http://t.co/LfP2f3wsgB" title="http://twitter.com/IQ_iman/status/305829119483072512/photo/1">twitter.com/IQ_iman/status…</a></p>— Iman(IQ_iman) February 24, 2013
Move over young ones! Jane Fonda’s custom #Versace is nothing short of stunning. #oscars2013
<a href="https://twitter.com/theacademy">theacademy</a> <a href="http://t.co/y7o061Q2dA" title="http://twitpic.com/c6lzuz">twitpic.com/c6lzuz</a></p>— AVA Online Group (AVAPhils) February 25, 2013
HELLO! (@hellomag) February 24, 2013
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Scotland: final pleas for and against independence from UK
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Rajoy tells Scots and Catalonians their referenda “damage the EU”
- 4Air France pilots’ strike set to break 16-year record
- 5Is a divided Belgium looking towards Scotland for independence inspiration?
- 1Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 2Russia: new EU sanctions look ‘strange’ says Putin
- 3Putin takes control of Russia’s defence industries and calls for new weapons
- 4Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 5US and NATO troops begin military exercises in Ukraine
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 9New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 12#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 15Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 16Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:21 CET Online volunteers map uncharted Ebola zones to help save lives
- 07:06 CET Pakistani woman embraced by Islamic State seeks to drop U.S. legal…
- 06:18 CET Australian PM says police raids follow threat of beheading
- 03:51 CET Japan, U.S. finance chiefs to meet ahead of G20 in Australia
- 03:46 CET U.S. contractor gets seven years for passing secrets to Chinese…
- 03:43 CET Militants urged Australian ‘demonstration killings’ – PM Abbott
- 02:38 CET Toronto Mayor Rob Ford diagnosed with rare cancer
- 00:28 CET French nurse for medical charity MSF contracts Ebola in Liberia