Britain’s most senior Catholic cleric is the latest to find himself at the centre of an historical abuse scandal.
Three priests and one former priest have reported Cardinal Keith O’Brien to the Vatican over allegations of inappropriate behaviour dating back 30 years.
The Cardinal categorically denies the claims. He is known as an outspoken opponent of gay rights and is due to retire next month.
There was a mixed reaction from members of the congregation.
“We trust the church to make the right decisions.”, said one
woman.“ You know, they’re good leaders and we’ll come out fine. Wherever it’s supposed to go, it will.”
“Well I think obviously, they are going to have to answer questions about it and just as the rest of the Catholic Church has had to face up to a lot of questions in the recent past.” was the opinion of another.
The complaints were submitted to the Vatican the week before the Pope’s resignation. They ask for the Cardinal to stand down.
The worry is that their concerns will be swept aside if Cardinal O’Brien travels to the forthcoming conclave to elect a new pope.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Choose co-operation or confrontation, not a bit of both, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 3Anti-immigrant violence in South Africa sparks concern across borders
- 4IMF’s Lagarde stresses rigour for economic salvation, rules out fast fix
- 5Russia and Ukraine at loggerheads after Buzyna and Kalashnykov murders
- 1Helicopter makes unauthorised landing in US Capitol grounds
- 2Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’
- 3ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech
- 4ISIL militants launch counter offensive in Iraq after recent losses
- 5Italy calls for a Europe-wide response to the migrant crisis in the Mediterranean
- 1ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech
- 2Britain’s RAF scrambles jets as Russian bombers near UK airspace
- 3Helicopter makes unauthorised landing in US Capitol grounds
- 4Orthodox Easter takes on additional meaning for debt-ridden Greece
- 5Four US Blackwater guards are jailed for the deaths of 14 Iraqi civilians
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 4Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 5French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 14Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Germany: Violence flares at anti-austerity protest against new ECB headquarters | euronews, world news
- 18European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 02:47 CET Teenagers planned Australian terror attack for ANZAC centenary -…
- 02:31 CET Trillions of dollars needed for new bid to end poverty by 2030
- 23:33 CET Car bomb kills three outside U.S. consulate in Iraq’s Kurdish…
- 22:03 CET Two Russian opposition parties unite after Nemtsov killing
- 21:07 CET Boko Haram slit throats of 12 as army tries to save civilians -…
- 20:59 CET U.S. charges four companies, five people over alleged tech exports…
- 20:37 CET Burundi police teargas protesters opposing presidential third term
- 20:20 CET Israeli military networks breached by hackers – researchers