Britain’s most senior Catholic cleric is the latest to find himself at the centre of an historical abuse scandal.
Three priests and one former priest have reported Cardinal Keith O’Brien to the Vatican over allegations of inappropriate behaviour dating back 30 years.
The Cardinal categorically denies the claims. He is known as an outspoken opponent of gay rights and is due to retire next month.
There was a mixed reaction from members of the congregation.
“We trust the church to make the right decisions.”, said one
woman.“ You know, they’re good leaders and we’ll come out fine. Wherever it’s supposed to go, it will.”
“Well I think obviously, they are going to have to answer questions about it and just as the rest of the Catholic Church has had to face up to a lot of questions in the recent past.” was the opinion of another.
The complaints were submitted to the Vatican the week before the Pope’s resignation. They ask for the Cardinal to stand down.
The worry is that their concerns will be swept aside if Cardinal O’Brien travels to the forthcoming conclave to elect a new pope.
- 1‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 2Amanda Knox: ‘Joy’ as murder conviction overturned
- 3Doctor had excused co-pilot from work on day of tragic flight 9525
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 5Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:00 CET Arab summit agrees on unified military force for crises
- 14:57 CET Singapore stands still as nation bids farewell to founding father…
- 14:42 CET Putin letter to Arab summit triggers strong Saudi attack
- 14:38 CET Air Canada flight slides off Halifax runway, 23 injured
- 13:49 CET Germanwings crash co-pilot may have had detached retina – newspaper
- 13:32 CET Germanwings crash co-pilot may have had detached retina – newspaper
- 11:51 CET Tunisia says senior militant commander killed in raid
- 11:49 CET Uzbekistan votes, to extend leader’s reign to over three decades