Britain’s most senior Catholic cleric is the latest to find himself at the centre of an historical abuse scandal.
Three priests and one former priest have reported Cardinal Keith O’Brien to the Vatican over allegations of inappropriate behaviour dating back 30 years.
The Cardinal categorically denies the claims. He is known as an outspoken opponent of gay rights and is due to retire next month.
There was a mixed reaction from members of the congregation.
“We trust the church to make the right decisions.”, said one
woman.“ You know, they’re good leaders and we’ll come out fine. Wherever it’s supposed to go, it will.”
“Well I think obviously, they are going to have to answer questions about it and just as the rest of the Catholic Church has had to face up to a lot of questions in the recent past.” was the opinion of another.
The complaints were submitted to the Vatican the week before the Pope’s resignation. They ask for the Cardinal to stand down.
The worry is that their concerns will be swept aside if Cardinal O’Brien travels to the forthcoming conclave to elect a new pope.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 14:41 CET Two killed in Bahrain car explosion – Interior Ministry
- 14:10 CET Death toll climbs to at least 13 in worst tragedy on Everest
- 14:02 CET Japan expands army footprint for first time in 40 years, risks…
- 11:39 CET Kidnapped French journalists found on Turkey’s Syrian border
- 11:31 CET Iran says plane at airport leased to Ghana after U.S.-flagged…
- 11:28 CET Egyptian leftist politician submits bid to run for president
- 10:08 CET Gunmen kidnap two Pakistani U.N. staff members from Karachi
- 01:35 CET Nigeria Islamists still holding 85 schoolgirls after raid- state