Britain’s most senior Catholic cleric is the latest to find himself at the centre of an historical abuse scandal.
Three priests and one former priest have reported Cardinal Keith O’Brien to the Vatican over allegations of inappropriate behaviour dating back 30 years.
The Cardinal categorically denies the claims. He is known as an outspoken opponent of gay rights and is due to retire next month.
There was a mixed reaction from members of the congregation.
“We trust the church to make the right decisions.”, said one
woman.“ You know, they’re good leaders and we’ll come out fine. Wherever it’s supposed to go, it will.”
“Well I think obviously, they are going to have to answer questions about it and just as the rest of the Catholic Church has had to face up to a lot of questions in the recent past.” was the opinion of another.
The complaints were submitted to the Vatican the week before the Pope’s resignation. They ask for the Cardinal to stand down.
The worry is that their concerns will be swept aside if Cardinal O’Brien travels to the forthcoming conclave to elect a new pope.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
Russia ‘involved’ in Litvinenko death says Scotland Yard
Belgian dairy farmers block roads in more price protests
Wires > News
- 03:35 CET Taiwan students storm education ministry compound in textbook…
- 03:25 CET Obama urges supporters to lobby for Iran deal
- 02:59 CET Plane debris found on Indian Ocean island points to MH370…
- 02:15 CET Mexico approves U.S. extradition warrant for fugitive kingpin…
- 00:24 CET Brazil’s Rousseff announces more education spending cuts
- 00:11 CET Checked bag fees are here to stay – United Airlines CEO
- 00:11 CET Greece’s Tsipras asserts control over party with congress vote
- 23:37 CET Canada’s election campaign seen starting Sunday