The US first lady Michelle Obama made a surprise and unprecedented appearance when she presented the Best Picture award to Ben Affleck for his thriller, “Argo”.
The director said he felt he was “hallucinating” when she announced the award, which may be why he was slightly at a loss for words during his emotional acceptance speech.
The Iran hostage drama marks a triumphant comeback for Affleck, who failed to get a nomination in the directing category.
But there was no personal reward for Steven Spielberg, despite his film “Lincoln” going into the awards with 12 nominations
As widely expected, Daniel Day-Lewis made Hollywood history as he stepped up to collect his third Academy Award, and received a standing ovation in the process.
Having won virtually every award in the run-up to Sunday’s Oscar ceremony the 55-year-old British-born actor was favourite to win for his quiet, intense performance as one of America’s most respected presidents as he battled to end slavery and the US Civil War.
Jennifer Lawrence won her first Oscar on Sunday for her lead role as an outspoken young widow in the quirky comedy “Silver Linings Playbook.”
Lawrence, 22, fended off strong competition from Jessica Chastain and 86-year old French actress Emmanuelle Riva for the
Best Actress prize.
Ang Lee won his second Oscar for Best Directing for “Life of Pi” – the adaption of Yann Martel’s fantasy adventure novel about an Indian boy’s adventures after he survives a shipwreck but becomes stranded in a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger.
The film also picked up statuettes for Cinematography, Original Score and Visual Effects.
In the Best Foreign Language Film category, the Austrian drama, Amour, scooped the award, capping a year-long run of triumphs for its director Michael Haneke. The unflinching take on devotion, old age and illness details the everyday struggles and indignities of elderly Parisian couple Anne and Georges as they confront Anne’s slide toward death.
Christopher Waltz won Best Supporting Actor for his role in Quentin Taratino’s Django Unchained which scooped Best Original Screenplay, and Anne Hathaway took the Best Supporting Actress gong for her portrayal of Fantine in Les Miserables.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 3Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 4Libya: Rights groups slam death sentence for Gaddafi son
- 5Ukraine poised to bring corruption case against Yanukovych
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Clashes as Israel demolishes West Bank settlement homes
UEFA chief Michel Platini to stand for FIFA presidency
French Foreign Minister latest in line of dignitaries to visit Iran
Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar ‘is dead’, officials claim
Malik Ishaq: Pakistan Sunni militant chief dies in shootout
Wires > News
- 15:05 CET Fabius, visiting Tehran, invites Rouhani to France
- 14:52 CET Zimbabwean men in court over killing of Cecil the lion
- 14:49 CET Croat parliament OKs withdrawal from Slovenia border arbitration
- 14:39 CET Russia’s Putin says opposes MH17 tribunal ahead of U.N. vote
- 14:34 CET China says to fight terror, people smuggling with Turkey
- 14:15 CET Philippine military seeks almost triple defence spending amid…
- 14:00 CET Afghanistan investigating reports of Taliban leader’s death
- 13:55 CET Israeli drone strike in Syria kills two near frontier -…