24/02/13 23:37 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Daniel Day-Lewis has won his third Best Actor Oscar at the 85th Academy Awards prize-giving ceremony in Los Angeles. He is the first actor to win the award three times. Jennifer Lawrence won the prize for Best Actress for her part in Silver Linings Playbook.
Michael Haneke’s Amour picked up the prize for Best Foreign Language Film. The film, a dramatic depiction of an elderly French couple’s relationship, had already won the Palme d’Or at Cannes as well as the Best Foreign Language Film award at the British BAFTAs.
Ang Lee won his third Oscar as best director for Life of Pi, having previously been honoured by the Academy for Brokeback Mountain and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which won Best Foreign Language Film in 2000.
The Award for Best Supporting Actor went to Christoph Waltz for his role in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained. Waltz had previously won an Oscar for his work in Inglorious Basterds, also by Tarantino. Anne Hathaway took the statuette for Best Supporting Actress, having been the bookmakers’ favourite thanks to her electric performance in Les Misérables.
Skyfall, a song of the James Bond film of the same name and performed by British singer Adele, won Best Original Song.
Two technical awards, for cinematography and visual effects, went to Ang Lee’s Life of Pi.
Paperman won the Best Animated Short Film, while Best Feature Length Animation went to Brave.
And the winners are…
Argo: Best Picture
Daniel Day-Lewis: Best Actor (Lincoln)
Jennifer Lawrence: Best Actress (Silver Linings Playbook)
Ang Lee: Best Director (Life of Pi)
Anne Hathaway: Best Supporting Actress (Les Miserables)
Christoph Waltz: Best Supporting Actor (Django Unchained)
Quentin Tarantino: Best Original Screenplay (Django Unchained)
Chris Terrio: Best Adapted Screenplay (Argo)
Amour: Best Foreign Language Film
Life of Pi (X3): Best Cinematography; Visual Effects; Original Score
Les Miserables (X2): Best Make-up & Hair; Sound Mixing
Skyfall (X2): Best Sound Editing*; Best Original Song
Argo: Best Film Editing
Lincoln: Best Production Design
Zero Dark Thirty: Best Sound Editing*
Anna Karenina: Best Costume Design
Searching for Sugar Man: Best Documentary feature
Paperman: Best Animated Short
Brave: Best Animated Feature
Curfew: Best Live Action Short
Inocente: Best Documentary Short
The Oscar for Best feature-length documentary was awarded to Searching for Sugar Man, by Malik Bendjelloul, about two South African fans and their efforts to find out about the death of American musician, Rodriguez.
Host Seth MacFarlane, creator of animated comedy show Family Guy got proceedings under way with a song about films in which he saw the breasts of the various actresses at the venue.
Earlier, a galaxy of Hollywood stars fought to win the battle for the ‘Best Dressed’ on the Oscars Red Carpet. In a poll of Twitter users that honour went to Jennifer Lawrence (see below).
No one film is expected to run away with most of the prizes this year, in what is being described as a very open field. Among the films vying for the Oscar for Best Picture are Argo (watch our report), Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln, Kathrin Bigelow’s Zero Dark Thirty and Life of Pi by Ang Lee.
In the Best Actor category, Daniel Day-Lewis could become the first man to win the award three times if he is chosen by the Academy for his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln. He faces competition from Denzel Washington (Flight), Hugh Jackman (Les Miserables), Joaquin Phoenix (The Master) and Bradley Cooper (Silver Linings Playbook).
Watch the winner of Best Animated Short:
The five nominees for Best Actress are Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty), Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings PLaybook), Naomi Watts (The Impossible), Emmanuelle Riva (Amour) and Quvenzhané Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild), who at the age of nine could become the youngest ever Oscars winner.
Emad Burnat, the maker of nominated Palestinian Film “5 Broken Cameras” & his family at the #oscars
<a href="https://twitter.com/5brokencameras">5brokencameras</a> <a href="http://t.co/LfP2f3wsgB" title="http://twitter.com/IQ_iman/status/305829119483072512/photo/1">twitter.com/IQ_iman/status…</a></p>— Iman(IQ_iman) February 24, 2013
Move over young ones! Jane Fonda’s custom #Versace is nothing short of stunning. #oscars2013
<a href="https://twitter.com/theacademy">theacademy</a> <a href="http://t.co/y7o061Q2dA" title="http://twitpic.com/c6lzuz">twitpic.com/c6lzuz</a></p>— AVA Online Group (AVAPhils) February 25, 2013
HELLO! (@hellomag) February 24, 2013
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
Flagmakers rush to meet demand as France prepares public show for Paris victims
Muslims in Russian Federation, under police pressure (some) enlist with ISIL
Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
South Africa lifts ban on domestic rhino horn trade
Wires > News
- 22:01 CET Turkey arrests two journalists on terrorism charges – CNN Turk
- 21:11 CET Germany to support military campaign against IS after French appeal
- 20:58 CET Belgium eases alert level but threat still ‘serious’
- 20:53 CET Khodorkovsky says Putin is leading Russia towards stagnation…
- 20:37 CET France says UK air force needed in Syria to raise pressure on…
- 20:05 CET Russia seeks economic revenge against Turkey over jet
- 19:44 CET Cameron says time to bomb militants in Syria
- 19:04 CET South Sudan food team finds risk of ‘widespread catastrophe’