Daniel Day-Lewis has won his third Best Actor Oscar at the 85th Academy Awards prize-giving ceremony in Los Angeles. He is the first actor to win the award three times. Jennifer Lawrence won the prize for Best Actress for her part in Silver Linings Playbook.
Michael Haneke’s Amour picked up the prize for Best Foreign Language Film. The film, a dramatic depiction of an elderly French couple’s relationship, had already won the Palme d’Or at Cannes as well as the Best Foreign Language Film award at the British BAFTAs.
Ang Lee won his third Oscar as best director for Life of Pi, having previously been honoured by the Academy for Brokeback Mountain and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which won Best Foreign Language Film in 2000.
The Award for Best Supporting Actor went to Christoph Waltz for his role in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained. Waltz had previously won an Oscar for his work in Inglorious Basterds, also by Tarantino. Anne Hathaway took the statuette for Best Supporting Actress, having been the bookmakers’ favourite thanks to her electric performance in Les Misérables.
Skyfall, a song of the James Bond film of the same name and performed by British singer Adele, won Best Original Song.
Two technical awards, for cinematography and visual effects, went to Ang Lee’s Life of Pi.
Paperman won the Best Animated Short Film, while Best Feature Length Animation went to Brave.
And the winners are…
Argo: Best Picture
Daniel Day-Lewis: Best Actor (Lincoln)
Jennifer Lawrence: Best Actress (Silver Linings Playbook)
Ang Lee: Best Director (Life of Pi)
Anne Hathaway: Best Supporting Actress (Les Miserables)
Christoph Waltz: Best Supporting Actor (Django Unchained)
Quentin Tarantino: Best Original Screenplay (Django Unchained)
Chris Terrio: Best Adapted Screenplay (Argo)
Amour: Best Foreign Language Film
Life of Pi (X3): Best Cinematography; Visual Effects; Original Score
Les Miserables (X2): Best Make-up & Hair; Sound Mixing
Skyfall (X2): Best Sound Editing*; Best Original Song
Argo: Best Film Editing
Lincoln: Best Production Design
Zero Dark Thirty: Best Sound Editing*
Anna Karenina: Best Costume Design
Searching for Sugar Man: Best Documentary feature
Paperman: Best Animated Short
Brave: Best Animated Feature
Curfew: Best Live Action Short
Inocente: Best Documentary Short
The Oscar for Best feature-length documentary was awarded to Searching for Sugar Man, by Malik Bendjelloul, about two South African fans and their efforts to find out about the death of American musician, Rodriguez.
Host Seth MacFarlane, creator of animated comedy show Family Guy got proceedings under way with a song about films in which he saw the breasts of the various actresses at the venue.
Earlier, a galaxy of Hollywood stars fought to win the battle for the ‘Best Dressed’ on the Oscars Red Carpet. In a poll of Twitter users that honour went to Jennifer Lawrence (see below).
No one film is expected to run away with most of the prizes this year, in what is being described as a very open field. Among the films vying for the Oscar for Best Picture are Argo (watch our report), Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln, Kathrin Bigelow’s Zero Dark Thirty and Life of Pi by Ang Lee.
In the Best Actor category, Daniel Day-Lewis could become the first man to win the award three times if he is chosen by the Academy for his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln. He faces competition from Denzel Washington (Flight), Hugh Jackman (Les Miserables), Joaquin Phoenix (The Master) and Bradley Cooper (Silver Linings Playbook).
Watch the winner of Best Animated Short:
The five nominees for Best Actress are Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty), Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings PLaybook), Naomi Watts (The Impossible), Emmanuelle Riva (Amour) and Quvenzhané Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild), who at the age of nine could become the youngest ever Oscars winner.
Emad Burnat, the maker of nominated Palestinian Film “5 Broken Cameras” & his family at the #oscars
<a href="https://twitter.com/5brokencameras">5brokencameras</a> <a href="http://t.co/LfP2f3wsgB" title="http://twitter.com/IQ_iman/status/305829119483072512/photo/1">twitter.com/IQ_iman/status…</a></p>— Iman(IQ_iman) February 24, 2013
Move over young ones! Jane Fonda’s custom #Versace is nothing short of stunning. #oscars2013
<a href="https://twitter.com/theacademy">theacademy</a> <a href="http://t.co/y7o061Q2dA" title="http://twitpic.com/c6lzuz">twitpic.com/c6lzuz</a></p>— AVA Online Group (AVAPhils) February 25, 2013
HELLO! (@hellomag) February 24, 2013
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage
- 4Artists hints at Monica Lewinsky scandal in Bill Clinton portrait
- 5Netanyahu warns US Congress against Iran nuclear deal
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 3Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 4Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 5Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 13‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 14Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 17Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 18Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 19London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 20Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
Wires > News
- 13:38 CET U.S., Iran wrap up round of talks after Netanyahu warning
- 13:23 CET Spain’s De Guindos insistent that Greece likely to need another…
- 13:17 CET Egypt upholds police sentence over death that stirred Mubarak…
- 13:12 CET Dozens of miners missing feared dead in rebel east Ukraine
- 13:11 CET U.S. says ‘seriously concerned’ about North Korea’s nuclear work
- 13:05 CET France faulted by rights body over failure on child-smacking
- 12:54 CET Sixteen injured in fire at Cairo convention hall
- 12:39 CET Russia’s Putin calls Nemtsov’s murder political