Daniel Day-Lewis has won his third Best Actor Oscar at the 85th Academy Awards prize-giving ceremony in Los Angeles. He is the first actor to win the award three times. Jennifer Lawrence won the prize for Best Actress for her part in Silver Linings Playbook.
Michael Haneke’s Amour picked up the prize for Best Foreign Language Film. The film, a dramatic depiction of an elderly French couple’s relationship, had already won the Palme d’Or at Cannes as well as the Best Foreign Language Film award at the British BAFTAs.
Ang Lee won his third Oscar as best director for Life of Pi, having previously been honoured by the Academy for Brokeback Mountain and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which won Best Foreign Language Film in 2000.
The Award for Best Supporting Actor went to Christoph Waltz for his role in Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained. Waltz had previously won an Oscar for his work in Inglorious Basterds, also by Tarantino. Anne Hathaway took the statuette for Best Supporting Actress, having been the bookmakers’ favourite thanks to her electric performance in Les Misérables.
Skyfall, a song of the James Bond film of the same name and performed by British singer Adele, won Best Original Song.
Two technical awards, for cinematography and visual effects, went to Ang Lee’s Life of Pi.
Paperman won the Best Animated Short Film, while Best Feature Length Animation went to Brave.
And the winners are…
Argo: Best Picture
Daniel Day-Lewis: Best Actor (Lincoln)
Jennifer Lawrence: Best Actress (Silver Linings Playbook)
Ang Lee: Best Director (Life of Pi)
Anne Hathaway: Best Supporting Actress (Les Miserables)
Christoph Waltz: Best Supporting Actor (Django Unchained)
Quentin Tarantino: Best Original Screenplay (Django Unchained)
Chris Terrio: Best Adapted Screenplay (Argo)
Amour: Best Foreign Language Film
Life of Pi (X3): Best Cinematography; Visual Effects; Original Score
Les Miserables (X2): Best Make-up & Hair; Sound Mixing
Skyfall (X2): Best Sound Editing*; Best Original Song
Argo: Best Film Editing
Lincoln: Best Production Design
Zero Dark Thirty: Best Sound Editing*
Anna Karenina: Best Costume Design
Searching for Sugar Man: Best Documentary feature
Paperman: Best Animated Short
Brave: Best Animated Feature
Curfew: Best Live Action Short
Inocente: Best Documentary Short
The Oscar for Best feature-length documentary was awarded to Searching for Sugar Man, by Malik Bendjelloul, about two South African fans and their efforts to find out about the death of American musician, Rodriguez.
Host Seth MacFarlane, creator of animated comedy show Family Guy got proceedings under way with a song about films in which he saw the breasts of the various actresses at the venue.
Earlier, a galaxy of Hollywood stars fought to win the battle for the ‘Best Dressed’ on the Oscars Red Carpet. In a poll of Twitter users that honour went to Jennifer Lawrence (see below).
No one film is expected to run away with most of the prizes this year, in what is being described as a very open field. Among the films vying for the Oscar for Best Picture are Argo (watch our report), Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln, Kathrin Bigelow’s Zero Dark Thirty and Life of Pi by Ang Lee.
In the Best Actor category, Daniel Day-Lewis could become the first man to win the award three times if he is chosen by the Academy for his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln. He faces competition from Denzel Washington (Flight), Hugh Jackman (Les Miserables), Joaquin Phoenix (The Master) and Bradley Cooper (Silver Linings Playbook).
Watch the winner of Best Animated Short:
The five nominees for Best Actress are Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty), Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings PLaybook), Naomi Watts (The Impossible), Emmanuelle Riva (Amour) and Quvenzhané Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild), who at the age of nine could become the youngest ever Oscars winner.
Emad Burnat, the maker of nominated Palestinian Film “5 Broken Cameras” & his family at the #oscars
<a href="https://twitter.com/5brokencameras">5brokencameras</a> <a href="http://t.co/LfP2f3wsgB" title="http://twitter.com/IQ_iman/status/305829119483072512/photo/1">twitter.com/IQ_iman/status…</a></p>— Iman(IQ_iman) February 24, 2013
Move over young ones! Jane Fonda’s custom #Versace is nothing short of stunning. #oscars2013
<a href="https://twitter.com/theacademy">theacademy</a> <a href="http://t.co/y7o061Q2dA" title="http://twitpic.com/c6lzuz">twitpic.com/c6lzuz</a></p>— AVA Online Group (AVAPhils) February 25, 2013
HELLO! (@hellomag) February 24, 2013
- 1Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 2Croatia celebrates 20th anniversary of ‘Operation Storm’
- 3Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
- 4India: more than 20 dead in double train derailment
- 5German state and judiciary square up over treason probe
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 4Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 5Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Wildfire forces US town to evacuate as ‘Rocky’ rages on
Iran nuclear deal: Obama and Netanyahu make competing appeals to US Jews
Hiroshima 70 years on: Survivors remember horror of nuclear bomb
Missing MH370: analysis of wing part due to begin in France
Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
Wires > News
- 14:21 CET Don’t treat divorced Catholics as outcasts, Pope tells priests
- 14:20 CET China says has stopped reclamation work in South China Sea
- 14:19 CET Russia’s Lavrov criticises Obama over missile shield plans
- 14:17 CET Syrian Islamist group says had been in talks with Iran
- 14:14 CET Danish government plans referendum on EU defence opt-out
- 14:06 CET Malaysia’s anti-graft unit to ask Najib to explain 2.6 billion…
- 13:50 CET President-elect says Poland should be part of Ukraine peace talks…
- 13:48 CET Poll shows Spain set for unpredictable political autumn