Voting has begun in Italy for an election whose outcome is far from certain.
Polls will stay open until 14:00 local time on Monday.
The ban on opinion polls in the run-up to the ballot has made predicting what will happen a combination of speculation and guesswork.
Even though it appears his lead has shrunk, the most likely winner is still Luigi Bersani, who has touted the idea of forming an alliance even if his centre-left Democratic Party wins a majority.
Four-time prime minister Silvio Berlusconi staged a whirlwind media blitz over the latter stages of the campaign, winning support for his centre-right People of Freedom party by promising tax refunds. He is tipped for second place.
Picking up fans during his ‘Tsunami Tour’ political campaign where he launched scathing attacks against Italian politicians, comedian Beppe Grillo’s Five Star Movement are the maverick grouping, who now look like they will come in third.
The result could be lead to a governing alliance between Bersani’s Democratic Party and centrist bloc lead by outgoing prime minister Mario Monti – a prospect that would be appealing to the financial markets. However, many say Monti’s campaign has been lacklustre.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 07:37 CET Leaders of Taiwan, China offer condolences for 48 dead in plane…
- 07:33 CET China plans railway to India, Nepal borders by 2020
- 07:30 CET U.S. lifts ban on flights to Israel as Gaza toll tops 700
- 02:57 CET Venezuela’s world-famous ‘vertical slum’ may be demolished
- 23:23 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 23:21 CET India bids to reassert influence in Nepal with power pact
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved