24/02/13 14:00 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A group of topless women were dragged away by police on Sunday when they protested against former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi as he voted in Italy’s election.
The protesters, from the Ukrainian women’s rights group Femen, shouted “Basta (Enough) Berlusconi”, as the media tycoon was voting in a polling station in a Milan school.
The same words were painted on their bodies. Police quickly grabbed the women and roughly bundled them away.
Berlusconi, who is seeking his fifth term in government, is on trial for having sex with an underage prostitute during alleged “bunga bunga” orgies at his Milan villa, a charge he denies.
The 76-year-old billionaire, who was pushed out of power in November 2011 as Italy faced a grave financial crisis, enrages feminists who accuse him of exploiting scantily-clad showgirls on his television shows and degrading women with off-colour jokes.
(Pictures are from AFP and La Repubblica)
During the election campaign his center-left rival Pier Luigi Bersani accused him of treating women like inflatable dolls.
An Italian woman has demanded an apology after he made suggestive remarks to her while they were on stage together at a business event.
He says he holds women in high respect and that he does not mean to offend anyone with his jokes.
- 1Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 2Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 3Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 4How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 5Turkey and Russia trade barbs as tensions mount over downed jet
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Kenya: Pope Francis visits slum, calls for more to be done about poverty
French President François Hollande leads tribute to Paris terror victims
USA: estimates suggest early Black Friday sales not up to the mark
Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
US: man arrested after jumping White House fence
Wires > News
- 12:34 CET Poland says pirates attacked Polish ship off Nigeria coast
- 12:33 CET Governments take rose-tinted view of climate projections before…
- 12:31 CET Kenya backs down from threat to leave ICC over Vice-President
- 11:33 CET Putin seeks map of forces not to bomb in Syria – France
- 11:30 CET Kremlin says Turkey’s Erdogan requests meeting with Putin in Paris
- 11:23 CET Russia-Ukraine row over Crimea escalates as Moscow cuts coal to…
- 11:14 CET Dijsselbloem – Refugee crisis could trigger ‘mini-Schengen’
- 10:30 CET Beijing to toughen car emission standards by 2017 to cut pollution