24/02/13 13:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Leader of the centre-left Democratic Party, Luigi Bersani, cast his vote in the Emilia Romagna city of Piacenza, as Italians take part in an election his party’s tipped to win by a small margin.
Silvio Berlusconi used a ballot box in his home city of Milan. Leading a centre-right grouping that includes his People of Freedom party, the four-time prime minister is expected to come second.
Outgoing premier Mario Monti was also in Milan, representing a centrist coalition that may end up governing with Bersani’s centre-left Democratic Party – an appealing prospect to the financial markets.
Although he has not told the media exactly where or when he will be voting, it is anticipated that the leader of the Five Star Movement Beppe Grillo will be in Genova. The comedian’s maverick group may come in third place.
Polls are open until 14:00 local time on Monday.
The election is not expected to produce winners with enough backing to form a strong government and pull Italy out of recession and 10 years of economic stagnation.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
Latest world news
Five migrants saved from channel after trying to sail to Britain from Calais
Suicide bomber attacks Pakistani military convoy
Pope Francis celebrates Jubilee day in honour of Padre Pio
World condemns North Korean satellite launch
Syrian refugees flee to Turkey border as Aleppo assault intensifies
Wires > News
- 23:56 CET More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus -…
- 22:59 CET Tunisia finishes Libya border fence intended to keep out militants
- 22:41 CET Anti-Islam movement PEGIDA stages protests across Europe
- 22:39 CET Iraq’s water minister judges only tiny danger of Mosul dam collapse
- 22:35 CET Australian woman freed after kidnap by al Qaeda in Burkina Faso
- 21:10 CET Taiwan quake kills at least 12, fells apartment block
- 20:52 CET Turkey must cut migrant flows to Europe, top EU official says
- 20:44 CET Five Czechs killed as huge Austrian avalanche buries 17