Leader of the centre-left Democratic Party, Luigi Bersani, cast his vote in the Emilia Romagna city of Piacenza, as Italians take part in an election his party’s tipped to win by a small margin.
Silvio Berlusconi used a ballot box in his home city of Milan. Leading a centre-right grouping that includes his People of Freedom party, the four-time prime minister is expected to come second.
Outgoing premier Mario Monti was also in Milan, representing a centrist coalition that may end up governing with Bersani’s centre-left Democratic Party – an appealing prospect to the financial markets.
Although he has not told the media exactly where or when he will be voting, it is anticipated that the leader of the Five Star Movement Beppe Grillo will be in Genova. The comedian’s maverick group may come in third place.
Polls are open until 14:00 local time on Monday.
The election is not expected to produce winners with enough backing to form a strong government and pull Italy out of recession and 10 years of economic stagnation.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 14:41 CET Two killed in Bahrain car explosion – Interior Ministry
- 14:10 CET Death toll climbs to at least 13 in worst tragedy on Everest
- 14:02 CET Japan expands army footprint for first time in 40 years, risks…
- 11:39 CET Kidnapped French journalists found on Turkey’s Syrian border
- 11:31 CET Iran says plane at airport leased to Ghana after U.S.-flagged…
- 11:28 CET Egyptian leftist politician submits bid to run for president
- 10:08 CET Gunmen kidnap two Pakistani U.N. staff members from Karachi
- 01:35 CET Nigeria Islamists still holding 85 schoolgirls after raid- state