Leader of the centre-left Democratic Party, Luigi Bersani, cast his vote in the Emilia Romagna city of Piacenza, as Italians take part in an election his party’s tipped to win by a small margin.
Silvio Berlusconi used a ballot box in his home city of Milan. Leading a centre-right grouping that includes his People of Freedom party, the four-time prime minister is expected to come second.
Outgoing premier Mario Monti was also in Milan, representing a centrist coalition that may end up governing with Bersani’s centre-left Democratic Party – an appealing prospect to the financial markets.
Although he has not told the media exactly where or when he will be voting, it is anticipated that the leader of the Five Star Movement Beppe Grillo will be in Genova. The comedian’s maverick group may come in third place.
Polls are open until 14:00 local time on Monday.
The election is not expected to produce winners with enough backing to form a strong government and pull Italy out of recession and 10 years of economic stagnation.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
Latest world news
Zion Harvey, 8, becomes youngest to receive double hand transplant
Romanian police make record heroin seizure
Turkey pounds PKK positions in ‘anti-terror’ operation
More police for Channel Tunnel as UK and France pledge to tackle migrant crisis
Amnesty International claims Israeli military committed war crimes during Gaza conflict
Wires > News
- 21:24 CET Fabius, visiting Tehran, invites Rouhani to France
- 21:05 CET U.S. democratic presidential hopeful Clinton to call for lifting…
- 20:54 CET Afghanistan says Taliban leader dead, urges peace talks
- 20:39 CET Too early to say if debris in Reunion is from MH370 flight – police
- 20:14 CET U.S., allies target Islamic State in Syria, Iraq with 14 air…
- 20:04 CET Taliban leader, who Afghanistan says is dead, a pious enigma
- 20:00 CET Syrian PM says power crisis worsens as militants target plants
- 19:52 CET Zimbabwean charged over killing of Cecil the lion