Hundreds of Egyptians have demonstrated outside the High Court in Cairo, demanding the departure of President Mursi’s newly-appointed Attorney General and the government.
In the latest in a series of protests against the president and the Muslim Brotherhood, they denounced what they say is undue interference in people’s lives and called for an independent judiciary.
Dozens of women including lawyers were among the demonstrators, accusing the president of trying to control state institutions by appointing his supporters to key positions.
The protesters chanted slogans such as “the people want to overthrow the regime” and “the blood of our sons will not be forgotten”.
The opposition alleges Mursi is running Egypt in a similar manner to the old regime.
“ We are here to protest against the fascist regime. We removed one corrupt regime and we got a fascist regime in its place, our brothers are still in prison and we can not release them. We think of the martyrs, until now we have not had justice for them,” said one demonstrator.
“As long as blood continues to flow in the country, as it has in the past few days and maybe will do in the future, that means the regime lacks legitimacy. We are not asking Mursi for anything, but telling him that the Attorney General is HIS special representative, not the Egyptian people’s,” said a woman among the crowd.
President Mursi has called parliamentary elections in the spring, no doubt hoping that they will put an end to the protests, but the move seems to have done little to defuse tensions.
Euronews correspondent Mohammed Shaikhibrahim said at the rally in Cairo:
“Every Friday the opposition holds a rally against the policies of the Egyptian president, but the difference is that these days demonstrations are becoming more peaceful and orderly. The civil disobedience has spread to several Egyptian provinces.”
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2One of five suspects charged after Melbourne anti-terror raids
- 3Exclusive: choose between co-operation and confrontation, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 4Foreigners flee xenophobic attacks in South Africa
- 5International lenders raise pressure on Greece as cash crunch looms
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 12:48 CET Somalia’s al Shabaab fighters attack African Union troops -…
- 12:46 CET Up to 700 feared dead after migrant boat sinks off Libya
- 12:45 CET Northern Cypriots vote for new leader who can succeed in peace…
- 12:05 CET Khamenei says Iran nuclear weapons are a U.S. ‘myth’
- 11:49 CET Egypt court seeks death for 11 in soccer stadium case – TV
- 08:57 CET UN investigation finds corruption in Afghan police oversight…
- 03:00 CET Mexico confirms capture of Gulf Cartel leader
- 02:23 CET Thousands in Germany protest against Europe-U.S. trade deal