It had already won the Palme d’Or at Cannes, a Golden Globe and several other awards internationally – now the French-language film “Amour” has taken a clean sweep of the major prizes at the French “Césars” ceremony in Paris.
The tale of the relationship between an elderly couple in the face of declining health won the Austrian filmmaker Michael Haneke the award of best film, best director and best screenplay, while Emmanuelle Riva and Jean-Louis Trintignant took best actress and best actor respectively.
The director was not present to receive the prizes – he is in Los Angeles where “Amour” is in the running for the Oscars.
The big favourite to take Hollywood’s accolades, Ben Affleck’s “Argo”, was named best foreign film, while another American was present to receive an honorary award recognising his career. Kevin Costner said he was grateful to French cinema for accepting him “as he is”.
- 1Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 2Greece: with referendum looming ‘Yes’ vote ahead, opinion poll suggests
- 3Finland tops European countries in latest happiness survey
- 4Tsipras: ‘no’ vote will mean a better deal with lenders
- 5Thousands rally in France in support of Greek “no” vote
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > News
- 19:49 CET Boko Haram steps up attacks in northeast Nigeria
- 19:19 CET Tunisian militant chief probably died in U.S. air strike – source
- 19:08 CET After Tunisia attack, sun-seekers switch to Spain, Bulgaria and…
- 18:47 CET Hague judges give warlord’s lawyers more time to prepare
- 18:35 CET West wants to remove Russian government from power – Kremlin…
- 18:31 CET U.N. calls on Israel, Palestinians to prosecute Gaza war crimes
- 17:48 CET Saudi policeman killed during security raid – SPA agency
- 17:35 CET Congo’s opposition slaps conditions on national dialogue