23/02/13 04:56 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
It had already won the Palme d’Or at Cannes, a Golden Globe and several other awards internationally – now the French-language film “Amour” has taken a clean sweep of the major prizes at the French “Césars” ceremony in Paris.
The tale of the relationship between an elderly couple in the face of declining health won the Austrian filmmaker Michael Haneke the award of best film, best director and best screenplay, while Emmanuelle Riva and Jean-Louis Trintignant took best actress and best actor respectively.
The director was not present to receive the prizes – he is in Los Angeles where “Amour” is in the running for the Oscars.
The big favourite to take Hollywood’s accolades, Ben Affleck’s “Argo”, was named best foreign film, while another American was present to receive an honorary award recognising his career. Kevin Costner said he was grateful to French cinema for accepting him “as he is”.
- 1Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 2G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 23:15 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash, search…
- 23:08 CET Poll gives Peru’s Fujimori 5.8 point lead a week before election
- 22:55 CET Putin says Romania, Poland may now be in Russia’s cross-hairs
- 22:51 CET U.S. lawmakers want Obama to impose sanctions on Congo
- 22:26 CET Trump pulls out of debate showdown with Sanders
- 22:06 CET Ex-Guinea-Bissau PM calls government’s dismissal ‘constitutional…
- 22:04 CET Greece says sanctions against Russia not productive
- 21:54 CET U.S. judge sentences Vietnamese man to 40 years for al Qaeda…