23/02/13 04:56 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
It had already won the Palme d’Or at Cannes, a Golden Globe and several other awards internationally – now the French-language film “Amour” has taken a clean sweep of the major prizes at the French “Césars” ceremony in Paris.
The tale of the relationship between an elderly couple in the face of declining health won the Austrian filmmaker Michael Haneke the award of best film, best director and best screenplay, while Emmanuelle Riva and Jean-Louis Trintignant took best actress and best actor respectively.
The director was not present to receive the prizes – he is in Los Angeles where “Amour” is in the running for the Oscars.
The big favourite to take Hollywood’s accolades, Ben Affleck’s “Argo”, was named best foreign film, while another American was present to receive an honorary award recognising his career. Kevin Costner said he was grateful to French cinema for accepting him “as he is”.
- 1Putin warns Finland: Russia will respond if Helsinki joins NATO
- 2Bangladesh police storm Dhaka restaurant after gun attack and siege
- 3Brexit sparks a political drama in the UK likened to the House of Cards
- 4EU extends sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
- 5Bangladesh police storm Dhaka restaurant after gun attack and siege
- 1Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 2Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 3Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
- 4Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 5Istanbul airport attack: the suspects and the victims
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 3What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 5David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
Latest world news
Dhaka cafe siege ends, 13 hostages freed
Bangladesh police storm Dhaka siege café, ‘several hostages freed’
‘Bring on Portugal!’ Wales fans ecstatic at historic win over Belgium
Turnbull and Shorten in tight contest as Australia votes in general election
Man jailed by German court for stabbing mayor of Cologne
Wires > News
- 09:01 CET Vietnam urges ‘fair’ ruling from court handling South China Sea…
- 08:48 CET Bangladesh commandos rescue 13 hostages, kill six gunmen as siege…
- 02:53 CET Murders in El Salvador drop by half in June
- 02:22 CET Venezuela’s Maduro ends power rationing as drought eases
- 01:58 CET Mexico air lifts food into villages as teacher blockades spread
- 00:56 CET Gingrich, Christie lead Trump list of vice presidential options
- 00:16 CET Pacific Alliance must reject Brexit path, seek integration -leaders
- 23:48 CET Air strike kills two Islamic State military commanders – Pentagon