Thirteen soldiers from Chad have died while fighting in northern Mali.
It is the largest death toll on side of the French and African troops fighting the Islamist rebels.
Sixty-five Islamist rebels were also killed.
Two thousand troops from Chad are fighting alongside 4,000 French troops.
The foreign offensive to assist Mali’s government and push the rebels out of their strongholds in the north has been going on for six weeks.
Intense battles continue in the town of Gao. It is supposedly back under government control, but the rebels refusing to back down.
One hundred US soldiers have been deployed to Niger to help coordinate intelligence sharing with the French as they fight in Mali.
France plans to start withdrawing troops next month, but there are fears that with the rebel counter-attacks, French soldiers could get drawn into a guerilla war.
Mali’s army remains weak and divided and the African forces due to take over from the French are not yet in place.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 4Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 22:30 CET Avalanche kills at least 12 guides in deadliest incident on Mount…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 20:07 CET Brazilian tycoon Batista investigated for financial crimes -reports
- 19:56 CET Pakistani police arrest 6 suspected militant assassins
- 19:49 CET Erdogan challenges social media in top Turkish court