23/02/13 10:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Thirteen soldiers from Chad have died while fighting in northern Mali.
It is the largest death toll on side of the French and African troops fighting the Islamist rebels.
Sixty-five Islamist rebels were also killed.
Two thousand troops from Chad are fighting alongside 4,000 French troops.
The foreign offensive to assist Mali’s government and push the rebels out of their strongholds in the north has been going on for six weeks.
Intense battles continue in the town of Gao. It is supposedly back under government control, but the rebels refusing to back down.
One hundred US soldiers have been deployed to Niger to help coordinate intelligence sharing with the French as they fight in Mali.
France plans to start withdrawing troops next month, but there are fears that with the rebel counter-attacks, French soldiers could get drawn into a guerilla war.
Mali’s army remains weak and divided and the African forces due to take over from the French are not yet in place.
- 1Simplify MPs expenses to improve transparency, says campaigner
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Venezuela’s second city looted
- 4Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
- 5A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Latest world news
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Drastic cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
Germany: hundreds arrested as anti-immigrant AfD congress starts
Rescue teams keep searching after deadly Kenya collapse
Ireland: Minority government deal breaks political deadlock
Wires > News
- 14:55 CET Afghan forces launch push against Taliban
- 14:51 CET Air strikes pound Syrian city of Aleppo, death toll climbs
- 14:42 CET China, Japan more upbeat on ties but challenges remain
- 13:31 CET Cries heard as rescuers search rubble of Nairobi building, at…
- 12:53 CET Left-wing protesters clash with German police before right-wing…
- 12:44 CET Italy merchant ship rescues 26 migrants off Libya, others feared…
- 12:36 CET Russia defends intercept of U.S. reconnaissance plane over Baltic
- 12:23 CET Bomb attack on Shi’ite pilgrims in Baghdad kills at least 19 -…