Violent thunderstorms and torrential rains have caused chaos across southern Europe.
In Italy, much of the Sicilian city of Catania was turned into a raging river with strong waters carrying away vehicles. Some 50 litres per square metre of rain fell in just half an hour.
Hundreds of firefighters were scrambled but only one person was injured.
The situation was worse in Greece where one woman died and dozens of commuters were trapped in their cars after a torrential downpour swamped the capital Athens.
Police said a 27-year-old woman died of a suspected heart attack after being trapped in her car in the northern suburb of Halandri
Power outages darkened large parts of the city during the overnight cloudburst, a river broke its banks and traffic jams brought much of Athens to a standstill in the morning rush hour.
The capital’s main roads and highways were overflowing with water and public transport was severely disrupted as two subway stops were briefly shut.
“This is the worst storm since 1961. We’re talking about 52 years without ever having seen such a heavy downpour in this area,” meteorologist Yannis Kallianos told state television.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 2Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support to Putin on Ukraine
- 4Watch: Femen protesters held after topless protest in Crimea
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Moscow denies ultimatum, EU discusses “targeted sanctions”
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 09:47 CET China voices ‘deep concern’ to North Korea over plane near-miss
- 09:35 CET Comic superhero Ultraman slain by Malaysian censors
- 09:33 CET Violent splinter group mars peace deal with Pakistan Taliban
- 09:18 CET U.S. says ready to do business with Indian front runner Modi
- 08:31 CET Erdogan says Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- 07:17 CET Violence against women ‘pandemic’ in Mexico
- 07:09 CET China warns prominent Internet users over Kunming attack
- 04:44 CET Senior North Korean official reappears, belies reports of another…