Violent thunderstorms and torrential rains have caused chaos across southern Europe.
In Italy, much of the Sicilian city of Catania was turned into a raging river with strong waters carrying away vehicles. Some 50 litres per square metre of rain fell in just half an hour.
Hundreds of firefighters were scrambled but only one person was injured.
The situation was worse in Greece where one woman died and dozens of commuters were trapped in their cars after a torrential downpour swamped the capital Athens.
Police said a 27-year-old woman died of a suspected heart attack after being trapped in her car in the northern suburb of Halandri
Power outages darkened large parts of the city during the overnight cloudburst, a river broke its banks and traffic jams brought much of Athens to a standstill in the morning rush hour.
The capital’s main roads and highways were overflowing with water and public transport was severely disrupted as two subway stops were briefly shut.
“This is the worst storm since 1961. We’re talking about 52 years without ever having seen such a heavy downpour in this area,” meteorologist Yannis Kallianos told state television.
Latest world news
Turkey: journalist speaks out against those ‘targeting’ him after Istanbul shooting
Syrian and Russian military deny conducting air strike on refugee camp
North Korea kicks off congress, but foreign invitees refused entry
Clearing mines from the ancient site of Palmyra with restoration work ongoing
Turkey: journalist heading to state secrets trial shot at moments before verdict
Wires > News
- 19:58 CET Russia says U.S.-Georgian military exercises could destabilise…
- 19:56 CET U.S. says it is committed to keeping Aleppo truce in place beyond…
- 19:40 CET Brazil Senate committee votes for Rousseff to stand trial
- 19:33 CET Turkey’s Erdogan rebuffs EU on terrorism law
- 19:23 CET Franco-Tunisian woman kidnapped in Yemen appeals for release
- 18:35 CET Convoy of stranded residents speed through fire-ravaged Canadian…
- 18:32 CET Assailant tries to shoot prominent Turkish journalist outside court
- 18:22 CET Pakistan’s tribal councils in spotlight after brutal ‘honour…