US President Barack Obama has met with Japan’s new Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at the White House for a round of talks designed to reaffirm their alliance.
The two leaders pledged to cooperate to promote stability and economic growth and stand together to protect common interests.
Obama has described the US-Japanese alliance as “the central foundation” to US activities and security in the Pacific region. Relations had been strained under the previous Japanese Democratic Party (DPJ) administration over the relocation of a US military base in Okinawa.
Shinzo Abe’s visit is widely seen as an effort to shore up ties as Japan’s long-running conflict with China continues over islands in the East China Sea. He has pressed for the US to take a hardline with Beijing over the dispute and with North Korea over their nuclear capabilities.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 12:30 CET Vice principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits…
- 12:23 CET At least 12 Nepali guides killed in Everest avalanche
- 11:55 CET Labour Party hires Obama strategist for 2015 poll
- 11:42 CET Japan to arm remote western island, risking more China tension
- 10:27 CET Iran says will firmly deter any attacks as military displays might
- 09:45 CET As opposition grows, China defends plans for petrochemical plants
- 08:42 CET Fly me to Sochi, demands Cathay passenger armed with chocolate…
- 08:06 CET India’s election commission lifts ban on top Modi aide