US President Barack Obama has met with Japan’s new Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at the White House for a round of talks designed to reaffirm their alliance.
The two leaders pledged to cooperate to promote stability and economic growth and stand together to protect common interests.
Obama has described the US-Japanese alliance as “the central foundation” to US activities and security in the Pacific region. Relations had been strained under the previous Japanese Democratic Party (DPJ) administration over the relocation of a US military base in Okinawa.
Shinzo Abe’s visit is widely seen as an effort to shore up ties as Japan’s long-running conflict with China continues over islands in the East China Sea. He has pressed for the US to take a hardline with Beijing over the dispute and with North Korea over their nuclear capabilities.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 3Four children among road crash dead near Troyes, France
- 4Gaza’s civilians, ‘no safe space left’
- 5Israeli bombing in Gaza intensifies as Palestinian death toll mounts
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 03:34 CET Peru’s Humala lifts party activists in cabinet shake-up
- 03:22 CET Poll shows Brazil’s Rousseff would win presidential runoff
- 00:26 CET Kuwait strips citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
- 00:11 CET Benin detains 10 people in child trafficking probe
- 23:08 CET Insight – Battered by election, Indonesia’s new president faces…
- 22:53 CET Qatar emir meets Saudi king in Jeddah to discuss Gaza fighting
- 22:16 CET Suicide attack escalates Libya violence, oil output slips
- 21:59 CET Homemade explosive goes off at Santiago church, another defused