Nigerian security forces claim to have surrounded the kidnappers of a French family in northeast Borno state in an effort to rescue the hostages.
The Nigerian military located the hostages and kidnappers between Dikwa and Ngala in the far northeast, according to a military source in Borno.
Dikwa is less than 80 km from the border with Cameroon where the three adults and four children were taken hostage on Tuesday.
Nigerian, French and Cameroonian officials have also denied French media reports that the family were freed.
Issa Tchiroma Bakary, Cameroon’s Communications Minister said: “For the moment the information that I am giving you is that it is a crazy rumour and the government has heard this statement. It is simply a crazy rumour, we don’t know where it has come from.”
The abduction is the first case of foreigners being seized in the mostly Muslim north of Cameroon, a former French colony.
But the region – like others in West and North Africa with porous borders – is considered within the operational sphere of Boko Haram and fellow Nigerian Islamist militants Ansaru.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 16Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > News
- 06:41 CET Gunmen in Egypt kill guard outside Niger embassy
- 06:41 CET Magnitude 6.3 earthquake rattles south-central Alaska
- 05:57 CET Malaysian parliament investigation of state fund on hold
- 05:54 CET Pakistan police say kill head of banned sectarian group
- 04:45 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 03:34 CET Singapore arrests man who tried to join Islamic State
- 02:55 CET Magnitude 5.9 quake hits Panama-Colombia border, no reports of…
- 00:59 CET Romania’s PM Ponta to go on holiday amid criminal probe