Nigerian security forces claim to have surrounded the kidnappers of a French family in northeast Borno state in an effort to rescue the hostages.
The Nigerian military located the hostages and kidnappers between Dikwa and Ngala in the far northeast, according to a military source in Borno.
Dikwa is less than 80 km from the border with Cameroon where the three adults and four children were taken hostage on Tuesday.
Nigerian, French and Cameroonian officials have also denied French media reports that the family were freed.
Issa Tchiroma Bakary, Cameroon’s Communications Minister said: “For the moment the information that I am giving you is that it is a crazy rumour and the government has heard this statement. It is simply a crazy rumour, we don’t know where it has come from.”
The abduction is the first case of foreigners being seized in the mostly Muslim north of Cameroon, a former French colony.
But the region – like others in West and North Africa with porous borders – is considered within the operational sphere of Boko Haram and fellow Nigerian Islamist militants Ansaru.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 12:30 CET Vice principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits…
- 12:23 CET At least 12 Nepali guides killed in Everest avalanche
- 11:55 CET Labour Party hires Obama strategist for 2015 poll
- 11:42 CET Japan to arm remote western island, risking more China tension
- 10:27 CET Iran says will firmly deter any attacks as military displays might
- 09:45 CET As opposition grows, China defends plans for petrochemical plants
- 08:42 CET Fly me to Sochi, demands Cathay passenger armed with chocolate…
- 08:06 CET India’s election commission lifts ban on top Modi aide