French and Malian forces pushed into the north of Mali in a bid to drive Islamists back. There were heavy skirmishes in Gao, a French hub for operations. Foreign hostages are also thought to be held there. A car bomb also went off in Kidal, reportedly killing two.
Malian troops used heavy machine-guns to root out rebels with links to al Qaeda as the fighting spilled out into the sandy streets.
Gao lies in the desert north of the country, where Islamists infiltrated, according to the town’s mayor. Explosions and gunfire rocked the town Wednesday night. The mayor’s office came under attack and a petrol station was set alight.
A Malian Army Commander told euronews: “We’re dealing with an infiltration from last night, just before the power was cut some elements infiltrated the town and they are trying to take this,” as he pointed out a building, “As well as other assets in the neighbourhood.”
Paris is keen to avoid a long term guerrilla conflict in Mali and plans to start a withdrawal of around 4000 troops from next month. But these sustained skirmishes come at a time when Mali’s army remains weak and divided. It means Malian and African forces need their French allies now more than ever.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 19:13 CET Tourist killed in Mombasa, second in July – police
- 19:07 CET At least 15 die in Israeli shelling of Gaza school as toll exceeds…
- 19:06 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- 18:30 CET Bomb hidden in fridge kills one, wounds eight in bus park in…
- 18:14 CET U.N. chief says arbitrary denial of aid a tactic of war in Syria
- 17:57 CET Insight – Purge of minorities re-draws Iraq map
- 16:43 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 16:18 CET Iraq parliament elects senior Kurdish politician president