French and Malian forces pushed into the north of Mali in a bid to drive Islamists back. There were heavy skirmishes in Gao, a French hub for operations. Foreign hostages are also thought to be held there. A car bomb also went off in Kidal, reportedly killing two.
Malian troops used heavy machine-guns to root out rebels with links to al Qaeda as the fighting spilled out into the sandy streets.
Gao lies in the desert north of the country, where Islamists infiltrated, according to the town’s mayor. Explosions and gunfire rocked the town Wednesday night. The mayor’s office came under attack and a petrol station was set alight.
A Malian Army Commander told euronews: “We’re dealing with an infiltration from last night, just before the power was cut some elements infiltrated the town and they are trying to take this,” as he pointed out a building, “As well as other assets in the neighbourhood.”
Paris is keen to avoid a long term guerrilla conflict in Mali and plans to start a withdrawal of around 4000 troops from next month. But these sustained skirmishes come at a time when Mali’s army remains weak and divided. It means Malian and African forces need their French allies now more than ever.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 2Female pilot jailed in Russia proclaimed a ‘hero of Ukraine’
- 3Interview: The consequences of Boris Nemtsov’s murder
- 4Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 5Russia: floral tributes pile up at Nemtsov murder scene
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 4Stand-off at ‘anti-Islamisation’ march in north-east England
- 5Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:05 CET Video shows fatal Los Angeles police shooting of homeless man
- 03:04 CET China to hold parade, invite leaders to mark World War Two…
- 02:57 CET Obama hopes for U.S. embassy in Cuba before April summit in Panama
- 01:39 CET U.S. spy chief says he got a mixed reception in North Korea
- 01:35 CET U.S. air safety threatened by possible hacking – senators
- 00:36 CET Exclusive – Obama says Iran must halt key nuclear work for at…
- 00:32 CET Obama, Israel’s Netanyahu clash over Iran diplomacy
- 00:25 CET Somali-American on FBI watch list detained in Somalia: source