Two pubs full of English football supporters have been attacked by an apparent neo-Nazi group in the French city of Lyon.
It happened on the eve of the Europa cup match between London club Tottenham Hotspur and Olympique Lyonnais.
A group of men, some wearing balaclavas smashed the windows of one of the pubs, the Smoking Dog.
Euronews’ reporter Alex Aucott witnessed one of the attacks.
“In the aftermath speaking to the (Spurs) supporters, they said they were making Nazi references and making Nazi salutes.
“From what I could see they’d taken various chairs and tables and things from a neighbouring bar and taken those down the road to use them to attack the pub with.
“(There were) Lots of people with cuts and bruises; and I saw one person who had a very nasty head wound and I saw another person, overheard him saying that he’d broken his arm. So I actually performed some first aid on him myself,” said Aucott.
French media reported that four people were taken to hospital. Others were slightly injured by flying glass.
This is not the first time that Tottenham supporters have been targeted. In December 2012, fans were attacked just before a Europa League match between Lazio and Spurs in Rome.
The Smoking Dog, the day after
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 4New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 5New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 17Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 18Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
- 19Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 20Raids across Turkey target media outlets linked to Erdogan foe Fethullah Gulen | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 05:59 CET Memorials for Sydney siege victims as flowers removed
- 05:05 CET North Korea’s Internet links restored amid U.S. hacking dispute
- 03:45 CET Australian court approves record compensation payout to wildfire…
- 03:22 CET At U.N. council, U.S. calls life in North Korea ‘living nightmare’
- 03:17 CET South Korea official says cannot rule out North’s hand in hack of…
- 00:37 CET Man rams van into Christmas market in France
- 22:39 CET Record number at Germany’s anti-immigrant rally
- 22:16 CET UBS whistelblower Birkenfeld lodges request for return to Europe