Two pubs full of English football supporters have been attacked by an apparent neo-Nazi group in the French city of Lyon.
It happened on the eve of the Europa cup match between London club Tottenham Hotspur and Olympique Lyonnais.
A group of men, some wearing balaclavas smashed the windows of one of the pubs, the Smoking Dog.
Euronews’ reporter Alex Aucott witnessed one of the attacks.
“In the aftermath speaking to the (Spurs) supporters, they said they were making Nazi references and making Nazi salutes.
“From what I could see they’d taken various chairs and tables and things from a neighbouring bar and taken those down the road to use them to attack the pub with.
“(There were) Lots of people with cuts and bruises; and I saw one person who had a very nasty head wound and I saw another person, overheard him saying that he’d broken his arm. So I actually performed some first aid on him myself,” said Aucott.
French media reported that four people were taken to hospital. Others were slightly injured by flying glass.
This is not the first time that Tottenham supporters have been targeted. In December 2012, fans were attacked just before a Europa League match between Lazio and Spurs in Rome.
The Smoking Dog, the day after
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
80,000 flee as inferno threatens Canadian oil hub
Aleppo a city of slaughter as diplomats struggle for solutions
EU Commission to call for visa-free travel for Turks
Australia votes on July 2 after PM Turnbull calls election
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal
Wires > News
- 13:29 CET Russia withdraws 30 aircraft from Syria – TASS cites defence…
- 13:23 CET Russia to form three new military divisions to counter NATO
- 13:21 CET EU proposes scheme to share out asylum seekers
- 13:20 CET Turkey will keep responding to rocket fire from Syria – Erdogan
- 13:15 CET Bangladeshi group met in parks, plotted attacks, says Singapore
- 13:06 CET Tanker leaves east Libyan port without loading, amid stand-off…
- 12:55 CET China to carry out more military drills in South China Sea
- 12:50 CET Isolated Nepal PM not ready to go after Maoists call for change