Two pubs full of English football supporters have been attacked by an apparent neo-Nazi group in the French city of Lyon.
It happened on the eve of the Europa cup match between London club Tottenham Hotspur and Olympique Lyonnais.
A group of men, some wearing balaclavas smashed the windows of one of the pubs, the Smoking Dog.
Euronews’ reporter Alex Aucott witnessed one of the attacks.
“In the aftermath speaking to the (Spurs) supporters, they said they were making Nazi references and making Nazi salutes.
“From what I could see they’d taken various chairs and tables and things from a neighbouring bar and taken those down the road to use them to attack the pub with.
“(There were) Lots of people with cuts and bruises; and I saw one person who had a very nasty head wound and I saw another person, overheard him saying that he’d broken his arm. So I actually performed some first aid on him myself,” said Aucott.
French media reported that four people were taken to hospital. Others were slightly injured by flying glass.
This is not the first time that Tottenham supporters have been targeted. In December 2012, fans were attacked just before a Europa League match between Lazio and Spurs in Rome.
The Smoking Dog, the day after
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 4Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 5Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
At least 20 killed as two trains derail in central India
Israel approves detention without trial in crackdown on Jewish extremists
Appeal for international aid as floods kill hundreds in Myanmar and India
Croatia and Serbia mark the 20th anniversary of Operation Storm
Wires > News
- 08:10 CET Japan’s Abe asks Biden for investigation of possible U.S. spying
- 07:37 CET Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
- 07:34 CET Civilian casualties rise as Afghan war intensifies in 2015
- 06:14 CET Kerry, China’s Wang discuss South China Sea tensions
- 06:08 CET India floods derail two trains, killing at least 20; hundreds…
- 04:52 CET China appeals for U.S. help to fight Xinjiang militants
- 04:51 CET FBI looking into security of Clinton private email account -…
- 04:05 CET Fewer Germans going to Syria, Iraq to fight for Islamic State -…