In Greece, tens of thousands of people have taken to the streets of Athens in a new nationwide strike against austerity measures.
Angry over wage cuts and tax rises, the crowd marched to parliament in the biggest protest for months over belt-tightening demands required by international lenders.
One unemployed hotel worker described it as the start of a new wave of demonstrations against Greece’s wealthy elite and the government.
“Today there are a few thousand on the streets, tomorrow there will be many more. They must listen to us, they must understand us, they must understand that this policy can no longer continue,” said Dionysis Kandiokos.
Sentiments shared by the Greek Communist Party leader, Aleka Papariga: “The workers are suffering and they have only one choice, no other, and that is to resist as long as possible otherwise they will find themselves with their backs against the wall, and this has to be avoided.”
Alexis Tsipras, head of Syriza party said: “This catastrophe must end now. This mistake must be corrected immediately, not after the German elections take place and when it suits Angela Merkel, when it will be too late.”
There were minor clashes between riot police and hooded youths on the sidelines of the protest but the march ended peacefully.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…
- 19:26 CET Kenya charges 9 foreigners over 377-kg heroin haul
- 19:13 CET Azerbaijan detains rights activist accused of espionage
- 19:08 CET Iraqi Shi’ite militias use hit lists to pick off foes – police
- 19:01 CET Thai junta gives security forces majority in interim legislature
- 18:55 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion due in U.S
- 18:25 CET China says Islamist militants kill pro-Beijing imam in Xinjiang
- 18:22 CET U.S. says hopeful of WTO deal with India only hours before deadline