20/02/13 16:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
France said on Wednesday it believes the Nigerian jihadist group Boko Haram was behind the abduction of a French family of seven in Cameroon.
The family of three adults and four children were taken from a national park in the far north of the country, close to the border with Nigeria.
Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told French TV:
“We believe that it is the Boko Haram group which is behind the kidnapping, but we don’t have a signature yet. And now unfortunately, terror comes after horror. Now this group – which we think is behind it – is in the process of kidnapping children”.
Cameroon says Islamist militants have almost certainly taken the family to Nigeria. The kidnapping has shocked locals in the former French colony.
Marie Gisele Alima, who lives in the Cameroon capital Douala said: “I’m getting worried, because these are things we never hear about in our country, we are a peaceful country. We don’t have conflicts or relationships with terrorists.”
The kidnapping is the first case of foreigners being seized in the north of Cameroon. French citizens living there have been warned to leave the area as soon as possible.
“We were thinking we were sheltered here in Cameroon from Islamist groups but unfortunately now we realise that there is a strong presence of these forces around here,” said French citizen Coraline Molinie.
According to Cameroon state radio, witnesses say the three adults have been separated from the four children. Officials say they’ve put in place “urgent measures” to find the family.
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Syria fighting rages despite fresh efforts to end the war
- 3Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 4Austria calls on FYRM to close borders to migrants
- 5Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 1Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 182015 | archives : euronews
- 19French language revolution in France
- 20Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
Wires > News
- 05:40 CET North Korea to halt search for Japanese abductees – KCNA
- 04:13 CET Quake hits eastern Indonesia island, no casualties reported
- 03:45 CET Australian hospital refuses to release baby for detention on Nauru
- 02:24 CET After 1,000-year split, pope and Russian patriarch embrace in Cuba
- 01:02 CET South Korea, U.S. to discuss missile defence; South cuts power to…
- 00:02 CET ‘No Bashar al-Assad in the future’, says Saudi foreign minister -…
- 23:37 CET U.S. okays sale of 8 Lockheed F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan -…
- 21:53 CET Divisive politics return as India’s Modi eyes make-or-break state…