It has been a dramatic, tearful day in court for South Africa’s most famous athelete Oscar Pistorius, who has been charged with the premeditated murder of his model girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. If found guilty, he faces life imprisonment.
He was remanded in custody until tomorrow, when his bail hearing resumes, although because of the premeditated ruling, bail will be difficult to obtain.
The prosecution dismissed claims Pistorius thought he was neutralising an intruder, pointing to the nine hours his girlfriend had been present, her overnight bag found at the scene and statements from friends of Steenkamp saying she wanted to leave him and was “scared”.
In contrast the judge heard a statement from Sam Greyvenstein, Steenkamp’s best friend, who said the couple “had nothing but love for each other”, and that Steenkamp “would have married Pistorius if he had asked her.”
Steenkamp was cremated at the same time as the hearing. Her Uncle regretted her life had been ended before she could become a campaigner against abuse of women.
“But we’re here today as a family and there is only one thing missing, and that is Reeva. We’ve got together but we miss one. I think I will never get over that,” said Mike Steenkamp.
Steenkamp was allegedly killed after Pistorius fired four shots through his toilet door, locked from the inside.
He says he awoke around 3am and went to close a balcony door, but heard a noise from the toilet. Believing Steenkamp was still in bed and, as he says, with “a sense of terror coming over me” and feeling “vulnerable” he fitted his legs and took his 9mm pistol from under his bed.
He claims after firing he realised Steenkamp was absent, so he then broke through the toilet door with a cricket bat, found her still alive, and took her downstairs in his arms, where she died.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies
- 2Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 3Doctor in New York tests positive for Ebola infection
- 4Video footage of Canadian parliament gunman shows final movements
- 5Ukraine PM warns Russia may try to disrupt election
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 14:29 CET Merkel urges Putin to back swift solution to Ukraine gas row
- 14:26 CET Canadian consulate in Istanbul gets package containing yellow…
- 14:25 CET Three major nations absent as China launches World Bank rival in…
- 14:19 CET South Africa police fire rubber bullets at Diamondcorp strikers
- 14:06 CET Masked men burn two Saudi Arabia consulate cars in Egypt: sources
- 13:56 CET Restore EU borders, France’s Le Pen says amid Calais tensions
- 13:46 CET Protesters in Hong Kong to vote on government proposals
- 13:33 CET Tunisia forces kill six after standoff with militants outside Tunis