It has been a dramatic, tearful day in court for South Africa’s most famous athelete Oscar Pistorius, who has been charged with the premeditated murder of his model girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. If found guilty, he faces life imprisonment.
He was remanded in custody until tomorrow, when his bail hearing resumes, although because of the premeditated ruling, bail will be difficult to obtain.
The prosecution dismissed claims Pistorius thought he was neutralising an intruder, pointing to the nine hours his girlfriend had been present, her overnight bag found at the scene and statements from friends of Steenkamp saying she wanted to leave him and was “scared”.
In contrast the judge heard a statement from Sam Greyvenstein, Steenkamp’s best friend, who said the couple “had nothing but love for each other”, and that Steenkamp “would have married Pistorius if he had asked her.”
Steenkamp was cremated at the same time as the hearing. Her Uncle regretted her life had been ended before she could become a campaigner against abuse of women.
“But we’re here today as a family and there is only one thing missing, and that is Reeva. We’ve got together but we miss one. I think I will never get over that,” said Mike Steenkamp.
Steenkamp was allegedly killed after Pistorius fired four shots through his toilet door, locked from the inside.
He says he awoke around 3am and went to close a balcony door, but heard a noise from the toilet. Believing Steenkamp was still in bed and, as he says, with “a sense of terror coming over me” and feeling “vulnerable” he fitted his legs and took his 9mm pistol from under his bed.
He claims after firing he realised Steenkamp was absent, so he then broke through the toilet door with a cricket bat, found her still alive, and took her downstairs in his arms, where she died.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 3Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different?
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 13:40 CET Baltimore smolders after riot over black man’s police – custody…
- 13:34 CET Houthis and tribesmen battle in central Yemen, at least 15 dead
- 13:32 CET Sweden’s Supreme Court says will hear Assange appeal over arrest…
- 13:21 CET Tsipras presses for May debt deal, says referendum possible
- 12:54 CET Immigrants slow population decline in Germany – statistics office
- 12:53 CET India cancels licences of nearly 9,000 charities over foreign funds
- 12:45 CET Islamic State has killed over 2,000 off battlefield since June -…
- 12:43 CET China ‘extremely concerned’ by ASEAN statement on disputed sea