It has been a dramatic, tearful day in court for South Africa’s most famous athelete Oscar Pistorius, who has been charged with the premeditated murder of his model girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. If found guilty, he faces life imprisonment.
He was remanded in custody until tomorrow, when his bail hearing resumes, although because of the premeditated ruling, bail will be difficult to obtain.
The prosecution dismissed claims Pistorius thought he was neutralising an intruder, pointing to the nine hours his girlfriend had been present, her overnight bag found at the scene and statements from friends of Steenkamp saying she wanted to leave him and was “scared”.
In contrast the judge heard a statement from Sam Greyvenstein, Steenkamp’s best friend, who said the couple “had nothing but love for each other”, and that Steenkamp “would have married Pistorius if he had asked her.”
Steenkamp was cremated at the same time as the hearing. Her Uncle regretted her life had been ended before she could become a campaigner against abuse of women.
“But we’re here today as a family and there is only one thing missing, and that is Reeva. We’ve got together but we miss one. I think I will never get over that,” said Mike Steenkamp.
Steenkamp was allegedly killed after Pistorius fired four shots through his toilet door, locked from the inside.
He says he awoke around 3am and went to close a balcony door, but heard a noise from the toilet. Believing Steenkamp was still in bed and, as he says, with “a sense of terror coming over me” and feeling “vulnerable” he fitted his legs and took his 9mm pistol from under his bed.
He claims after firing he realised Steenkamp was absent, so he then broke through the toilet door with a cricket bat, found her still alive, and took her downstairs in his arms, where she died.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms
- 2NATO accuses Russian bombers of flying close to its airspace
- 3France ‘to deliver’ Mistral warship, says Russia
- 4France says ‘conditions not met’ for Mistral warship delivery to Russia
- 5Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 3International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 5European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 10Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 11Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:52 CET Situation in Syria is ‘appalling,’ getting worse – U.N.
- 19:32 CET Germany’s new road toll to cost foreign drivers up to 130 euros
- 19:06 CET Sweden recognises Palestinian state
- 19:05 CET Clashes erupt as Israeli police kill Palestinian
- 18:43 CET No hope for survivors in Sri Lanka landslide, over 100 dead
- 18:39 CET Two dead, several injured after plane crashes at Kansas airport
- 18:11 CET Political crisis in Kosovo thwarts president’s historic Serbia…
- 18:08 CET Ukraine, Russia, EU likely to agree gas supply deal Thursday -…