A French family of seven, including four children, has been abducted in northern Cameroon, confirmed President Francois Hollande, during a visit to Greece. Reports say the family was kidnapped at gunpoint and seen being taken towards Nigeria on motorbikes.
The abductions were carried out just 10kms away from the Nigerian border. The family, who live in Cameroon was on a sightseeing daytrip to the area. The father works for French energy company GDF Suez. The third adult with the group is said to be the father’s brother.
President Hollande said that the attack was commited by a group of Islamic extremists already known to the French government: “I am referring particularly to a terrorist group called Boko Haram which exists in this part of Cameroon,” he said.
Mathieu Guidère, a specialist on radical Islamic movements, said: “Following the military intervention in the north of Mali, now they are all cooperating against a common enemy which is France, and so now we’re dealing with regional terrorism rather than local radical Islamic groups.”
The risk of attacks on French nationals has been heightened since the French army intervened in Mali. But President Hollande declared that “France is in Mali and will continue in Mali until its mission is completed.”
Eight French nationals are already being held in West Africa by groups affiliated to Al-Qaeda.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 3Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 4‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 5Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.
- 04:18 CET Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali
- 04:04 CET South Korea ferry businessman’s cause of death impossible to…
- 03:34 CET Shelling of Gaza school kills at least 15; toll nears 800
- 03:24 CET Al Jazeera journalists jailed in Egypt say they will appeal
- 02:39 CET Death row Christian woman flies out of Sudan, meets pope
- 01:02 CET Iran detains four journalists, three of them Iranian-American…
- 00:54 CET Sudanese Salafi group endorses Islamic State’s new caliphate