A French family of seven, including four children, has been abducted in northern Cameroon, confirmed President Francois Hollande, during a visit to Greece. Reports say the family was kidnapped at gunpoint and seen being taken towards Nigeria on motorbikes.
The abductions were carried out just 10kms away from the Nigerian border. The family, who live in Cameroon was on a sightseeing daytrip to the area. The father works for French energy company GDF Suez. The third adult with the group is said to be the father’s brother.
President Hollande said that the attack was commited by a group of Islamic extremists already known to the French government: “I am referring particularly to a terrorist group called Boko Haram which exists in this part of Cameroon,” he said.
Mathieu Guidère, a specialist on radical Islamic movements, said: “Following the military intervention in the north of Mali, now they are all cooperating against a common enemy which is France, and so now we’re dealing with regional terrorism rather than local radical Islamic groups.”
The risk of attacks on French nationals has been heightened since the French army intervened in Mali. But President Hollande declared that “France is in Mali and will continue in Mali until its mission is completed.”
Eight French nationals are already being held in West Africa by groups affiliated to Al-Qaeda.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 11:55 CET Labour Party hires Obama strategist for 2015 poll
- 11:42 CET Japan to arm remote western island, risking more China tension
- 11:26 CET South Korea ferry captain rushed back to bridge as ship…
- 10:40 CET At least 12 Nepali guides killed in Everest avalanche
- 10:27 CET Iran says will firmly deter any attacks as military displays might
- 09:45 CET As opposition grows, China defends plans for petrochemical plants
- 08:42 CET Fly me to Sochi, demands Cathay passenger armed with chocolate…
- 08:06 CET India’s election commission lifts ban on top Modi aide