BREAKING NEWS

Now Reading:

Number of dead rises in Pakistan bombing


Pakistan

Number of dead rises in Pakistan bombing

The number of dead in Saturday’s bomb that ripped through a crowded market place in a Shi’ite Muslim area of Quetta in Pakistan has risen to at least 79 with around 200 injured.

Police believe explosives had been planted inside a water tank on a tractor trailer.

It is the second major attack in the city in five weeks. Police say this latest bomb is part of an escalation of sectarian attacks by hardline Sunni extremists. More bodies could yet be uncovered as rescue worker Mohammad Ismail explained.

“We will maybe find 30 to 40 more bodies because these walls caved in. When the debris is cleared we will know how many people are buried underneath the rubble,” he said.

Victims were taken to local hospitals and some flown to others in the southern city of Karachi.

It is reported that the banned Sunni militant group Lashkar-e-Jhangvi which was behind the attack last month has claimed responsibility.

The city’s minority Shia community has been angered by what it says is a lack of protection for them against sectarian attacks by Pakistani Sunni militants.

Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.

Next Article

world news

Economy tops voters' concerns in Cyprus presidential election