As the EU launches plans for immediate DNA tests of beef products for the presence of unlabelled horse meat, more European countries have reported traces.
In Britain it has been revealed that three more sites have been raided. Earlier, nationwide tests found horse meat in just over 1 per cent of samples.
The scandal initally focused on a handful of countries after the discovery of horse meat in Irish burgers.
Now investigations in several more European countries have found it in what are described as beef products.
Authorities in Austria said horse meat had been detected in tortellini dishes made in Germany. In Norway lasagna products were withdrawn from supermarket shelves after testing positive.
In Denmark an abattoir is under investigation, suspected of supplying horse labelled as beef to pizza manufacturers. A factory in the Netherlands was raided on Friday; prosecutors allege it has mixed horse meat with beef before selling products as “pure beef”.
At least two UK supermarkets have sought to reassure consumers; the British National Farmers Union has taken out newspaper ads urging people to “buy British”.
Hospitals in Britain are to assess all their meat suppliers to trace the sources; pies have been withdrawn from dozens of school kitchens in Lancashire after testing positive for horse meat.
Across Europe more than 2000 tests are now planned. Between 10 and 150 tests are envisaged in each of the EU’s 27 member states.
The authorities continue seeking to reassure consumers there’s no risk to human health. But for millions of people issues of transparency, what goes into the food chain and the effectiveness of controls are equally important.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 21:03 CET Rwanda suspends BBC’s local radio service over genocide documentary
- 20:49 CET Attacks in Egypt’s Sinai kill at least 28 security personnel
- 20:46 CET Student opens fire at Washington state high school – report
- 20:42 CET No U.S. troop cuts without credible North Korea nuclear deal, says…
- 20:12 CET Vienna inaugurates monument to World War Two deserters
- 19:37 CET French court approves Kazakh tycoon Ablyazov’s extradition to…
- 19:27 CET Suspicious powder sent to western consulates in Istanbul -…
- 19:25 CET Palestinian boy shot dead by Israeli forces at West Bank protest