Madrid saw one of the many demonstrations against evictions taking place across Spain on Saturday.
Thousands took to the streets to protest against harsh repossession laws.
Current policy allows banks to repossess a home, while any remaining debt is still owed by the former owners.
More than 350,000 Spaniards have received eviction orders since 2008 because they were unable to pay their mortgages due to the country’s debt crisis.
“I was unemployed for three years when my husband became unemployed; he has been jobless for two years now. We couldn’t pay the mortgage, the house expenses and afford food for five people with his benefits. I’m waiting for the eviction date,” said one woman.
Parliament has agreed to debate a citizens’ motion that would protect indebted homeowners from eviction and has also agreed to suspend foreclosures for two years.
However, the government has so far resisted permanent new legislation.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 21:19 CET At least four killed by car bomb in Kenyan capital – government
- 21:02 CET New law to lure investors to Egypt could feed corruption, critics…
- 20:52 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from US to…
- 20:29 CET South Africa platinum strike talks to continue Thursday
- 20:23 CET Italy’s Berlusconi to start community service work next week
- 20:20 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 19:55 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt
- 19:30 CET Bahrain says expels representative of Shi’ite Ayatollah Sistani