It is the latest dance craze to go viral with reports of over 12,000 videos of the Harlem Shake posted online in the last month.
The dance named after the area in New York actually began back in the 1980s. The latest version is an electronic track by Brooklyn DJ Baauer which is set to enter the UK singles chart.
Latoya Williams a Harlem resident says it reflects the area of New York which it is named after. “I think it’s a neat dance. It has to do a lot with Harlem, a place that’s about music. A lot of things that come from here are great, dancing, a lot of artists, so I think that it’s great that it’s a nice dance for kids to pass on.”
Last December the dance craze “Gangnam Style” made history when it became the first video on You Tube to reach 1 billion views.
Harlem Shake may have a bit to go but it has caught the imagination of a eclectic range of fans -the staff of the Museum Natural History in Halifax in Canada have been seen in one version. So go on – get moving.
Latest world news
Public sector strike heightens industrial strife in Belgium
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
World No Tobacco Day: Plain packaging push to help smokers kick the habit
Brazil anti-corruption minister quits after ‘trying to spoil’ corruption probe
Wires > News
- 15:38 CET Italy arrests 16 suspected boat migrant traffickers
- 15:32 CET Almost 46 million people trapped in slavery with North Korea…
- 15:25 CET More Germans now moving from West to East
- 15:23 CET EU ships in Libyan waters would undermine Tripoli government -…
- 15:10 CET Former Miss Turkey sentenced to 14-months jail for insulting…
- 15:02 CET German minister says shouldn’t discuss ‘fantasy proposals’ for…
- 14:48 CET With Africa trip, Turkey’s Erdogan aims to quash influence of…
- 14:39 CET Bahrain court orders activist freed on humanitarian grounds