It is the latest dance craze to go viral with reports of over 12,000 videos of the Harlem Shake posted online in the last month.
The dance named after the area in New York actually began back in the 1980s. The latest version is an electronic track by Brooklyn DJ Baauer which is set to enter the UK singles chart.
Latoya Williams a Harlem resident says it reflects the area of New York which it is named after. “I think it’s a neat dance. It has to do a lot with Harlem, a place that’s about music. A lot of things that come from here are great, dancing, a lot of artists, so I think that it’s great that it’s a nice dance for kids to pass on.”
Last December the dance craze “Gangnam Style” made history when it became the first video on You Tube to reach 1 billion views.
Harlem Shake may have a bit to go but it has caught the imagination of a eclectic range of fans -the staff of the Museum Natural History in Halifax in Canada have been seen in one version. So go on – get moving.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
“Three Amigos” summit presents a united front
Both Britain’s main political parties seem headed for leadership battles
The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
euronews reporter trapped on the tarmac as airport attack raged
Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
Wires > News
- 06:41 CET Philippines’ Duterte sworn as president, rails against crime
- 05:29 CET China slams South China Sea case as court set to rule
- 05:01 CET North Korea’s Dear Respected Comrade leader gets a new title
- 03:12 CET At Pacific Alliance summit, Chile warns against isolationism
- 02:26 CET U.S. says Russian ship raised false signal in incident
- 02:22 CET U.S.-led strikes pound Islamic State in Iraq, kill 250 fighters
- 01:42 CET North America leaders mount strong defence of trade despite threats
- 01:34 CET Japan plans July fighter jet tender seen worth $40 billion as…