Athlete Oscar Pistorius has appeared in court in South Africa, charged with the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. The world famous amputee known as “Blade Runner” broke down in tears as the charges were read out.
Prosecutors told the court they intend to argue the international sports star committed premeditated murder in shooting his girlfriend dead at his home.
The hearing was delayed for two hours as his defence lawyers objected to the scrum of local and international reporters packed into the courtroom.
Early reports suggested Pistorius may have mistaken Steenkamp for an intruder, but police said neighbours had heard noises before the shots and they had been called to previous domestic incidents at the house.
Local media reports say he shot her four times through a bathroom door. A 9mm pistol was recovered from the athlete’s house in an affluent suburb of the South African capital.
Steenkamp, a 29-year-old model Pistorius had been seeing since November, had been due to give a talk on violence against women at a Johannesburg school this week.
The athlete will remain in custody before the next hearing on Tuesday. Police have said they will oppose bail.
Pistorius had united the rainbow nation behind him and won global recognition for his athletic achievements. The double amputee was hailed as a hero who triumphed over adversity to compete with able-bodied athletes at the 2012 London Olympics while also winning two gold medals in the Paralympics.
His fame brought in sponsorship deals thought to be worth as much as three million euros. Sportswear giant Nike have said they will not make any decisions until the police investigation is completed.
- 1Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 5Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Latest world news
Iran talks could get new deadline extension says Washington
France and Germany expect ‘credible’ proposals from Greece
Euclid Tsakalotos sworn in as new Greek finance minister
Iran optimistic of leap in growth once out from under sanctions
Spain open to new Greece bailout talks post-referendum
Wires > News
- 01:07 CET Teenager blows herself up near mosque in Nigeria’s second city
- 22:08 CET Ebola-stricken nations need $700 million to rebuild healthcare
- 21:03 CET Four teachers among six Israeli-Arabs charged for promoting…
- 20:52 CET EU approves 1.15 billion euro aid package for West Africa
- 19:42 CET Chicago’s Fourth of July rituals – fireworks, gun deaths
- 19:32 CET 800 million still hungry and poor despite progress of millennium…
- 19:20 CET Bulgaria eyes Poland fighter deal to cut dependence on Russia
- 19:04 CET Insight – Iranian nuclear deal set to make hardline Revolutionary…