Athlete Oscar Pistorius has appeared in court in South Africa, charged with the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. The world famous amputee known as “Blade Runner” broke down in tears as the charges were read out.
Prosecutors told the court they intend to argue the international sports star committed premeditated murder in shooting his girlfriend dead at his home.
The hearing was delayed for two hours as his defence lawyers objected to the scrum of local and international reporters packed into the courtroom.
Early reports suggested Pistorius may have mistaken Steenkamp for an intruder, but police said neighbours had heard noises before the shots and they had been called to previous domestic incidents at the house.
Local media reports say he shot her four times through a bathroom door. A 9mm pistol was recovered from the athlete’s house in an affluent suburb of the South African capital.
Steenkamp, a 29-year-old model Pistorius had been seeing since November, had been due to give a talk on violence against women at a Johannesburg school this week.
The athlete will remain in custody before the next hearing on Tuesday. Police have said they will oppose bail.
Pistorius had united the rainbow nation behind him and won global recognition for his athletic achievements. The double amputee was hailed as a hero who triumphed over adversity to compete with able-bodied athletes at the 2012 London Olympics while also winning two gold medals in the Paralympics.
His fame brought in sponsorship deals thought to be worth as much as three million euros. Sportswear giant Nike have said they will not make any decisions until the police investigation is completed.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1NATO: satellite images ‘show Russian troops in Ukraine’
- 2Islamic State video shows ‘scores of dead Syrian soldiers’
- 3Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 4Protesters demand more frontline equipment for Ukraine soldiers
- 5New Turkey President Erdogan says priorities include EU accession
- 1Footage released of 9-year-old on firing range moments before she accidently kills instructor
- 2Boston bombing suspects’ sister arrested
- 3Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights
- 4Poroshenko says Russian soldiers have been ‘brought into Ukraine’
- 5Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 6Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 7Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 8Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 10Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 12Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 13Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 14Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 15Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 16EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 17Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
- 18Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 19Hamas executes 18 suspected collaborators | euronews, world news
- 20Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
Wires > News
- 07:04 CET Macau to ‘re-elect’ leader as democratic rumblings, mirroring Hong…
- 06:59 CET Icelandic volcano alert raised to red after eruption, no volcanic…
- 06:50 CET Volcanic eruption in Papua New Guinea causes flight diversions
- 06:00 CET Magnitude 5.7 quake strikes 80 miles south of Athens – USGS
- 05:41 CET Accident traps at least 25 miners in Nicaragua, government-backed…
- 05:36 CET With eye on China, Japan defence planners seek spending boost
- 04:34 CET Syrian accused of making detonators with U.S. parts faces Arizona…
- 03:19 CET U.S., China plan followup to Sunnylands summit in November