Athlete Oscar Pistorius has appeared in court in South Africa, charged with the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. The world famous amputee known as “Blade Runner” broke down in tears as the charges were read out.
Prosecutors told the court they intend to argue the international sports star committed premeditated murder in shooting his girlfriend dead at his home.
The hearing was delayed for two hours as his defence lawyers objected to the scrum of local and international reporters packed into the courtroom.
Early reports suggested Pistorius may have mistaken Steenkamp for an intruder, but police said neighbours had heard noises before the shots and they had been called to previous domestic incidents at the house.
Local media reports say he shot her four times through a bathroom door. A 9mm pistol was recovered from the athlete’s house in an affluent suburb of the South African capital.
Steenkamp, a 29-year-old model Pistorius had been seeing since November, had been due to give a talk on violence against women at a Johannesburg school this week.
The athlete will remain in custody before the next hearing on Tuesday. Police have said they will oppose bail.
Pistorius had united the rainbow nation behind him and won global recognition for his athletic achievements. The double amputee was hailed as a hero who triumphed over adversity to compete with able-bodied athletes at the 2012 London Olympics while also winning two gold medals in the Paralympics.
His fame brought in sponsorship deals thought to be worth as much as three million euros. Sportswear giant Nike have said they will not make any decisions until the police investigation is completed.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 2German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 3Total boss dies in Moscow air crash
- 4Total oil CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash; snowplough driver was ‘drunk’
- 5Ebola death toll tops 4,500 people in West Africa
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 10Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 19:39 CET White House confirms U.S. citizen released from North Korea
- 19:00 CET Poland’s speaker backs down from claim Putin proposed dividing…
- 18:54 CET War heroes and activists to shape new-look Ukraine parliament
- 18:51 CET Islamic State advances against Yazidis on Iraq’s Sinjar mountain
- 18:07 CET Consumed by Islamic State, Iraq’s Anbar province a key…
- 17:55 CET Nurse infected with Ebola in Spain cleared of disease
- 17:49 CET Turkish PM unveils tighter security steps after deadly protests
- 17:45 CET Egypt court sets January 1 appeal date for Al Jazeera journalists