Athlete Oscar Pistorius has appeared in court in South Africa, charged with the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. The world famous amputee known as “Blade Runner” broke down in tears as the charges were read out.
Prosecutors told the court they intend to argue the international sports star committed premeditated murder in shooting his girlfriend dead at his home.
The hearing was delayed for two hours as his defence lawyers objected to the scrum of local and international reporters packed into the courtroom.
Early reports suggested Pistorius may have mistaken Steenkamp for an intruder, but police said neighbours had heard noises before the shots and they had been called to previous domestic incidents at the house.
Local media reports say he shot her four times through a bathroom door. A 9mm pistol was recovered from the athlete’s house in an affluent suburb of the South African capital.
Steenkamp, a 29-year-old model Pistorius had been seeing since November, had been due to give a talk on violence against women at a Johannesburg school this week.
The athlete will remain in custody before the next hearing on Tuesday. Police have said they will oppose bail.
Pistorius had united the rainbow nation behind him and won global recognition for his athletic achievements. The double amputee was hailed as a hero who triumphed over adversity to compete with able-bodied athletes at the 2012 London Olympics while also winning two gold medals in the Paralympics.
His fame brought in sponsorship deals thought to be worth as much as three million euros. Sportswear giant Nike have said they will not make any decisions until the police investigation is completed.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 11Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 15#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20Marine Le Pen criticises France’s decision to halt Mistral warship sale to Russia | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:44 CET Families of German MH17 victims to sue Ukraine: lawyer
- 11:07 CET Wife of Alan Henning, Briton held by Islamic State, pleads for his…
- 10:26 CET Kurds issue new call to arms against Islamic State in Syria
- 08:42 CET New Zealand PM storms to third term but faces slowing growth ahead
- 07:36 CET Exclusive – Iran seeks give and take on militants, nuclear…
- 03:40 CET Iraqi Christians fly to new life in France after escaping Islamic…
- 03:30 CET Sierra Leone Ebola burial team attacked despite lockdown
- 02:44 CET U.S. to deliver 10 Apache helicopters to Egypt – Pentagon