The authorities in Los Angeles say a burned body found in the ruins of a mountain chalet near Los Angeles after a police gunfight was that of Christopher Dorner, an ex-policeman accused of killing four people in a vendetta against his former employers.
The chalet caught fire during the battle as police cornered the 33-year-old and a body was found. It was identified as Dorner via his dental records.
However the post mortem did not say whether he was killed by the fire or whether he shot himself dead first.
A police assault squad used tear gas to try to force the fugitive out of the chalet. He had reportedly refused to give himself up. During the gun battle a police officer was killed.
As fire spread in the cabin, police said they heard a single gunshot.
It followed a six-day manhunt for Dorner, who allegedly also killed the daughter of a policeman he held responsible for his sacking, her fiance, and another police officer.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 4Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 5Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Liberia launches child registration drive post Ebola crisis
Austria: overwhelmed refugee centre closes to new arrivals
UK extends Tornado air campaign against ISIL in Iraq
Dramatic footage of road collapse as deadly rain storms hit Asia
More Stock Exchange losses in Greece as banking shares plunge
Wires > News
- 17:42 CET Syria foreign minister in Tehran for talks with Iran, Russia
- 17:29 CET Turkish jets hit PKK targets, soldiers killed in southeast
- 17:27 CET Spanish prime minister lambasts Catalan independence drive
- 16:46 CET Belgian minister under fire for saying migrants can pay for hotels
- 16:17 CET Italy’s Senate passes Renzi’s bureaucracy reform plan
- 16:02 CET Italian minister visits Iran seeking better ties
- 15:50 CET Seven killed, about 20 taken in suspected Boko Haram attack in…
- 15:47 CET Israel’s Netanyahu tells cabinet to back budget or risk government…