The authorities in Los Angeles say a burned body found in the ruins of a mountain chalet near Los Angeles after a police gunfight was that of Christopher Dorner, an ex-policeman accused of killing four people in a vendetta against his former employers.
The chalet caught fire during the battle as police cornered the 33-year-old and a body was found. It was identified as Dorner via his dental records.
However the post mortem did not say whether he was killed by the fire or whether he shot himself dead first.
A police assault squad used tear gas to try to force the fugitive out of the chalet. He had reportedly refused to give himself up. During the gun battle a police officer was killed.
As fire spread in the cabin, police said they heard a single gunshot.
It followed a six-day manhunt for Dorner, who allegedly also killed the daughter of a policeman he held responsible for his sacking, her fiance, and another police officer.
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4Greece to default on IMF loan on Tuesday as banks close and panic buying begins
- 5Croatian President Kolinda Grabar- Kitarovic from peace, recession to feminism
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 6Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 7Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 8NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 19Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 07:26 CET Man sets himself alight on Japan bullet train, second passenger…
- 07:04 CET Obama, Rousseff to make up missed White House visit on Tuesday
- 06:05 CET Japan raises volcano alert for Mt. Hakone after small eruption
- 04:10 CET U.S. spy agency wiretapped two French finance ministers – Wikileaks
- 04:08 CET Four Israelis wounded in suspected Palestinian West Bank shooting
- 04:07 CET Car bomb in Yemeni capital hits mourners, dozens wounded
- 03:02 CET Amnesty slams Egypt over arrests of youths
- 00:54 CET Burundi votes in boycott-hit poll; blasts, gunfire heard