Chuck Hagel, President Barack Obama’s nomination for US Secretary of Defence must wait before he is confirmed in the post.
Senate Republicans blocked narrowly a confirmation vote a tactic known as filibustering. President Obama said it was “unprecedented”.
The vote was just two short of the majority needed.
It’s expected the former Republican senator will win full Senate approval for the role in a vote later this month.
Some politicians have complained Hagal has been too critical of Israel and soft on Iran following reported comments.
Republicans have also sought more specific information from President Obama about the deadly September 11 attack on the US consulate in Benghazi in Libya.
White House spokesman John Earnest said a Republican is being blocked by Republicans and that does not send “a favourable signal” to the world.
- 1Eastern Ukraine: separatists ‘will not push for independence,’ says spokesperson
- 2‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 3Aleksandar Vucic becomes first Serbian leader to visit Albania
- 4Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 5UEFA wants FIFA vote to be called off amid corruption turmoil
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > News
- 01:12 CET U.N. council urges end to impunity for attacks on journalists
- 01:08 CET Islamic State sympathizers may have made airline threats – …
- 23:56 CET Leader of al Qaeda Syria wing says aims to take Damascus – TV
- 23:26 CET Pentagon chief urges end to island-building in South China Sea
- 23:04 CET Insight – All at sea: Australia’s search for MH370 under scrutiny
- 22:48 CET France warns Iran over nuclear deal as deadline nears
- 22:06 CET For Kremlin, a charity teaching science to kids is viewed as…
- 21:20 CET Belgian flights halted after air traffic power fault