Chuck Hagel, President Barack Obama’s nomination for US Secretary of Defence must wait before he is confirmed in the post.
Senate Republicans blocked narrowly a confirmation vote a tactic known as filibustering. President Obama said it was “unprecedented”.
The vote was just two short of the majority needed.
It’s expected the former Republican senator will win full Senate approval for the role in a vote later this month.
Some politicians have complained Hagal has been too critical of Israel and soft on Iran following reported comments.
Republicans have also sought more specific information from President Obama about the deadly September 11 attack on the US consulate in Benghazi in Libya.
White House spokesman John Earnest said a Republican is being blocked by Republicans and that does not send “a favourable signal” to the world.
- 1Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 2Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 3Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
- 4Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 5Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
Latest world news
Gunmen storm cafe in Bangledeshi capital Dhaka
Colosseum makeover gets the thumbs up from Italian PM Renzi
Israeli-Palestinian conflict ‘perpetual’ unless positive steps taken – Quartet
EU extends sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
Brexit sparks a political drama in the UK likened to the House of Cards
Wires > News
- 20:21 CET Gunmen attack restaurant in Dhaka’s diplomatic quarter
- 20:20 CET Putin hints Russia will react if Finland joins NATO
- 20:18 CET U.S. says kills up to 116 civilians in strikes outside war zones
- 20:07 CET U.N. rights investigator urges Myanmar to crack down on religious…
- 19:10 CET Italy’s biggest Chinese community clashes with police near Florence
- 19:08 CET Two suspects in Istanbul attack identified as Russian – Turkish…
- 18:56 CET Romanians offer symbolic EU membership to ‘Remain-ian’ Brits
- 18:27 CET Witnessing migrants being rescued at sea