Nearly 1,000 people injured as a meteor shower rained down on central Russia were mainly hurt by flying glass.
No one was killed in the celestial event in Chelyabinsk, but the country’s Emergencies Ministry says nearly 1,000 have been hurt - including children.
Speaking from Chelyabinsk Hospital, surgeon Vladimir Basmannikov said: “The wounds that people have are mainly cuts and bruises, due to windows and window frames breaking and flying around. And you can see how many people are here. We’ve already treated 60 or 70, and we still have a corridor full of people.”
The meteor explosion and shower may be connected to an asteroid the size of an Olympic swimming pool that is due to pass Earth at a distance of 27,520 kilometres – however, the link has not been confirmed.
It is thought another meteorite hit Siberia in 1908 devastating an area of more than 2,000 square kilometres.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Official photos capture Prince George’s first birthday
- 5First of flight MH17 victims’ remains arrive in the Netherlands
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 19:54 CET Bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari targeted
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video
- 17:42 CET Yemen president says Houthis agree to return town to state control
- 17:38 CET Seleka to sign ceasefire, drops call for Central African Republic…
- 17:10 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- 17:05 CET Islamists gun down Somali protest singer-turned-lawmaker
- 16:59 CET Second bomb in Nigeria’s Kaduna kills 50 – Red Cross worker