A flash of bright light, the sound of explosions – what witnesses report and cameras captured as a meteor broke apart as it entered the Earth’s atmosphere above Chelyabinsk in central Russia.
In the aftermath, a meteor shower that injured nearly 1,000 people, set off car alarms and disrupted the mobile phone network.
Describing what happened, the head of the region’s emergencies ministry Yuri Burenko said:
“In the sky over the city of Chelyabinsk an object was spotted which flew through the air at high speed leaving a trace in the sky.
“Two minutes later three consecutive explosions were heard, and the resulting impact wave smashed windows in the city of Chelyabinsk and neighbouring cities.”
Part of the meteor raced across the horizon, leaving a long trail of white smoke behind it which could be seen 200 kilometres away in Russia’s fourth-largest city, Yekaterinburg.
“I saw something moving in the sky, in a moment there came a flash – we first thought it was fireworks, but a moment later we saw a trace as if from a rocket, followed by an explosion in couple of minutes. The window broke … tea , bread, water – everything was on the ground,” said one resident of Chelyabinsk.
A number of buildings have been damaged in Chelyabinsk, 1,500 kilometres east of Moscow. Six hundred square metres of the roof on a zinc factory collapsed.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
80,000 flee as inferno threatens Canadian oil hub
Aleppo a city of slaughter as diplomats struggle for solutions
EU Commission to call for visa-free travel for Turks
Australia votes on July 2 after PM Turnbull calls election
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal
Wires > News
- 13:29 CET Russia withdraws 30 aircraft from Syria – TASS cites defence…
- 13:23 CET Russia to form three new military divisions to counter NATO
- 13:21 CET EU proposes scheme to share out asylum seekers
- 13:20 CET Turkey will keep responding to rocket fire from Syria – Erdogan
- 13:15 CET Bangladeshi group met in parks, plotted attacks, says Singapore
- 13:06 CET Tanker leaves east Libyan port without loading, amid stand-off…
- 12:55 CET China to carry out more military drills in South China Sea
- 12:50 CET Isolated Nepal PM not ready to go after Maoists call for change