A flash of bright light, the sound of explosions – what witnesses report and cameras captured as a meteor broke apart as it entered the Earth’s atmosphere above Chelyabinsk in central Russia.
In the aftermath, a meteor shower that injured nearly 1,000 people, set off car alarms and disrupted the mobile phone network.
Describing what happened, the head of the region’s emergencies ministry Yuri Burenko said:
“In the sky over the city of Chelyabinsk an object was spotted which flew through the air at high speed leaving a trace in the sky.
“Two minutes later three consecutive explosions were heard, and the resulting impact wave smashed windows in the city of Chelyabinsk and neighbouring cities.”
Part of the meteor raced across the horizon, leaving a long trail of white smoke behind it which could be seen 200 kilometres away in Russia’s fourth-largest city, Yekaterinburg.
“I saw something moving in the sky, in a moment there came a flash – we first thought it was fireworks, but a moment later we saw a trace as if from a rocket, followed by an explosion in couple of minutes. The window broke … tea , bread, water – everything was on the ground,” said one resident of Chelyabinsk.
A number of buildings have been damaged in Chelyabinsk, 1,500 kilometres east of Moscow. Six hundred square metres of the roof on a zinc factory collapsed.
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 23D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 3Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Syria: We believe that Russia has the wrong strategy, says US
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 20Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
Latest world news
S. Carolina city to pay $6.5 mln over police shooting of Walter Scott
Spain says high speed rail line in Catalonia was sabotaged
Syrian army claims major anti-IS campaign has begun
Israel braces itself for Friday prayers protests as violent attacks continue
EU Balkan refugee conference attempts to end divisions, offer more aid, and work with Syria’s neighbours
Wires > News
- 07:02 CET Australia, Philippines negotiating asylum seeker transfer deal
- 04:47 CET Malaysia arrests lawyer critical of PM Najib
- 02:17 CET France train attack hero Stone stabbed in California
- 23:44 CET SpaceX raps ULA bid to get U.S. waiver for Russian engines
- 23:28 CET Insight – Collision course with a hurricane: How doomed U.S. ship…
- 23:20 CET In India, a test for Modi’s economic reforms and Hindu agenda
- 23:15 CET Myanmar official accuses China of meddling in rebel peace talks
- 22:28 CET Syria extends offensive to retake territory in west