15/02/13 11:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Around 1,000 people have been injured after a meteor exploded over Chelyabinsk in central Russia, according to local reports.
The regional governor says at least 950 people have been wounded, including more than 159 children. Of the injured people, he added, only two were said to be in a serious condition; most of the injuries were caused by shattering window panes.
Chelyabinsk city officials say the blast happened at an altitude of 10,000 metres with the meteor breaking apart and causing a shower as it entered the Earth’s atmosphere at around 9:20 in the morning local time.
Part of the meteor raced across the horizon, leaving a long trail of white smoke behind it which could be seen 200 kilometres away in Russia’s fourth-largest city, Yekaterinburg.
A number of buildings have been damaged in the industrial city of Chelyabinsk,1,500 kilometres east of Moscow.
The meteor explosion and shower set off car alarms, shattered windows and disrupted the mobile phone network.
Six hundred square metres of the roof of a zinc factory collapsed, according to the Interior Ministry.
City officials have urged people to stay indoors unless they need to pick their children up from schools and nurseries.
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 4Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 5Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 4Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 5ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Latest world news
Bus bomber kills presidential guards in Tunisian capital
Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
Pope Francis heads to Africa with a message of religious tolerance
Canada reduces refugee intake to 10,000 by the year’s end
Chicago protests mark release of fatal shooting video
Wires > News
- 12:33 CET France detects first bird flu outbreak in years
- 12:31 CET China says must learn from Paris attacks
- 12:14 CET Singapore slashes publication bans, but not for Jehovah’s Witnesses
- 12:13 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says does not want escalation after Russian jet…
- 12:08 CET Three arrest warrants issued in widening royal insult probe
- 12:03 CET U.N. accuses Houthis of blocking supply routes to Yemen’s Taiz city
- 11:47 CET Defiant Merkel vows to stand by refugee policy despite security…
- 11:38 CET Pope heads to Africa hoping to bridge Christian-Muslim faultlines