15/02/13 11:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Around 1,000 people have been injured after a meteor exploded over Chelyabinsk in central Russia, according to local reports.
The regional governor says at least 950 people have been wounded, including more than 159 children. Of the injured people, he added, only two were said to be in a serious condition; most of the injuries were caused by shattering window panes.
Chelyabinsk city officials say the blast happened at an altitude of 10,000 metres with the meteor breaking apart and causing a shower as it entered the Earth’s atmosphere at around 9:20 in the morning local time.
Part of the meteor raced across the horizon, leaving a long trail of white smoke behind it which could be seen 200 kilometres away in Russia’s fourth-largest city, Yekaterinburg.
A number of buildings have been damaged in the industrial city of Chelyabinsk,1,500 kilometres east of Moscow.
The meteor explosion and shower set off car alarms, shattered windows and disrupted the mobile phone network.
Six hundred square metres of the roof of a zinc factory collapsed, according to the Interior Ministry.
City officials have urged people to stay indoors unless they need to pick their children up from schools and nurseries.
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 4The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Wires > News
- 12:28 CET South Africa’s finance minister not facing arrest – state…
- 12:26 CET Blasts kill more than 100 in Syrian government stronghold – monitor
- 12:20 CET Islamic State suicide bombing kills 40 army recruits in Yemen’s…
- 12:03 CET Greece says to begin evacuating migrants camped at border within…
- 11:23 CET U.N. chief Ban calls for halving of numbers of displaced by 2030
- 11:19 CET Fire at school for poor girls in Thailand kills 17
- 11:12 CET Three Indian police shot dead in Kashmir summer capital
- 11:07 CET One Rohingya Muslim shot dead in mass escape from Thai detention…