An unemployed man has died after setting himself on fire outside a job centre in the French city of Nantes.
Forty-three-year-old Djamal Chaab warned the authorities he intended to kill himself after his request for benefits was rejected.
Although emergency services had been alerted they were unable to save him.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 3Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 4More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
- 5EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
Latest world news
Public sector strike heightens industrial strife in Belgium
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
World No Tobacco Day: Plain packaging push to help smokers kick the habit
Brazil anti-corruption minister quits after ‘trying to spoil’ corruption probe
Wires > News
- 15:55 CET French court rules woman can use dead husband’s sperm
- 15:54 CET Libyan security forces pushing Islamic State back from vicinity of…
- 15:38 CET Italy arrests 16 suspected boat migrant traffickers
- 15:32 CET Almost 46 million people trapped in slavery with North Korea…
- 15:25 CET More Germans now moving from West to East
- 15:23 CET EU ships in Libyan waters would undermine Tripoli government -…
- 15:10 CET Former Miss Turkey sentenced to 14-months jail for insulting…
- 15:02 CET German minister says shouldn’t discuss ‘fantasy proposals’ for…