Born without a fibula in either leg in 1986, Oscar Pistorius underwent a bi-lateral below the knee amputation just before his first birthday. “The fastest man on no legs” exploded on to the world stage in 2004 with victory in the 200-metres final at the Athens Paralympics.
He began to run against able-bodied athletes in South Africa until the International Association of Athletic Foundations banned him from competing, claiming his artificial legs gave him an unfair advantage.
He appealed at the Court of Arbitration for Sport and won his case. A multiple Paralympian Gold medalist Pistorius achieved his dream when he qualified to compete in the 400-metres at London Olympics, the first double amputee to do so.
Pistorius is the face of Paralympic sport, his image endorses countless products across the globe.
The latest twist in a life not without incident or tragedy has stunned the sporting world.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Afghanistan: Fifty dead after suicide attack during volleyball match
- 2Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 3Deadly floods in southern Morocco
- 4Femen lay bare their naked opposition to papal visit
- 5Violence erupts after policeman avoids charges over black teenager’s death
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 23:27 CET Mbemba double sends Anderlecht into Europa League
- 23:22 CET Tevez strikes late as Juventus beat Malmo 2-0
- 23:12 CET Monaco stun Leverkusen 1-0 to revive qualifying hopes
- 23:11 CET Liverpool stumble again as Terziev earns Ludogorets late draw
- 22:53 CET Ronaldo strike sinks gallant Basel
- 22:17 CET Swimming – WADA may appeal Sun’s three-month doping ban
- 21:36 CET Danny’s late goal keeps Zenit’s last-16 hopes alive
- 20:54 CET McLaren make troubled start to new Honda era