Born without a fibula in either leg in 1986, Oscar Pistorius underwent a bi-lateral below the knee amputation just before his first birthday. “The fastest man on no legs” exploded on to the world stage in 2004 with victory in the 200-metres final at the Athens Paralympics.
He began to run against able-bodied athletes in South Africa until the International Association of Athletic Foundations banned him from competing, claiming his artificial legs gave him an unfair advantage.
He appealed at the Court of Arbitration for Sport and won his case. A multiple Paralympian Gold medalist Pistorius achieved his dream when he qualified to compete in the 400-metres at London Olympics, the first double amputee to do so.
Pistorius is the face of Paralympic sport, his image endorses countless products across the globe.
The latest twist in a life not without incident or tragedy has stunned the sporting world.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 09:48 CET Carter, Sonny Bill named in All Blacks tour squad
- 04:17 CET Barca need to avoid Clasico obsession, focus on Ajax
- 04:13 CET Schalke need Di Matteo’s touch against Sporting
- 04:10 CET Real seek first win over Liverpool, Totti eyes more goals
- 04:05 CET Totti’s Roma take aim at Bayern’s impregnable defence
- 03:33 CET Martin posts first PGA Tour victory in Las Vegas
- 02:29 CET Australia players given amnesty ‘window’ to report graft
- 02:09 CET Watson named in Australia’s T20 squad for South Africa