Born without a fibula in either leg in 1986, Oscar Pistorius underwent a bi-lateral below the knee amputation just before his first birthday. “The fastest man on no legs” exploded on to the world stage in 2004 with victory in the 200-metres final at the Athens Paralympics.
He began to run against able-bodied athletes in South Africa until the International Association of Athletic Foundations banned him from competing, claiming his artificial legs gave him an unfair advantage.
He appealed at the Court of Arbitration for Sport and won his case. A multiple Paralympian Gold medalist Pistorius achieved his dream when he qualified to compete in the 400-metres at London Olympics, the first double amputee to do so.
Pistorius is the face of Paralympic sport, his image endorses countless products across the globe.
The latest twist in a life not without incident or tragedy has stunned the sporting world.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Wires > News
- 20:49 CET Tennis-Cocktail of talent helps Muguruza reach semis
- 20:04 CET Radwanska’s grasscourt pedigree helps her reach semis
- 18:58 CET Wimbledon’s famous strawberries now come…as mush
- 17:49 CET Italy’s Balotelli given compassionate leave by Liverpool
- 17:21 CET De Villiers rested for ODI series in Bangladesh
- 16:54 CET British Open likely to flourish even if McIlroy sits it out
- 13:52 CET Ferrer a surprise inclusion for Russia tie
- 13:38 CET Leie shines on debut, South Africa clinch T20 series in Dhaka