Streets, squares and parks throughout the world have been reverberating to millions of feet dancing to the same tune.
It is all part of the ‘One Billion Rising’ campaign to end violence against women.
In Istanbul, some of the dancing demonstrators wore cosmetic ‘bruises’ that drove the message home.
Once the music stops it is estimated almost 200 countries will have taken part.
In India there is still shock and anger after the gang rape and murder of a 23 year old student late last year.
New Delhi student, 17 year old Priya Rajender Prasad said: “All this violence against women, discrimination between men and women must be stopped. Every woman has the right to live, and to live with dignity.”
The dancing demonstration is the brainchild of the playwright and campaigner Eve Ensler, prompted by a shocking statistic that one in three women will be the subject of violence at some point in her life. That is a billion people.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Wires > News
- 14:05 CET New security at Brussels Airport causes delays, missed flights
- 14:02 CET U.S. targets Islamic State in Mosul, other cities in Iraq, Syria
- 13:59 CET Turkey to abolish visas for EU states including Cyprus under…
- 13:51 CET Islamic State forces kill U.S. armed forces member in Iraq
- 13:29 CET Baby pulled out alive three days after collapse of Kenya building
- 13:18 CET Fists fly as Sri Lankan MPs protest changing of the guard for…
- 13:17 CET Rebel shelling kills at least 19 in Aleppo – Observatory
- 13:07 CET Hungary plans to hold migrant quota referendum in September or…