Streets, squares and parks throughout the world have been reverberating to millions of feet dancing to the same tune.
It is all part of the ‘One Billion Rising’ campaign to end violence against women.
In Istanbul, some of the dancing demonstrators wore cosmetic ‘bruises’ that drove the message home.
Once the music stops it is estimated almost 200 countries will have taken part.
In India there is still shock and anger after the gang rape and murder of a 23 year old student late last year.
New Delhi student, 17 year old Priya Rajender Prasad said: “All this violence against women, discrimination between men and women must be stopped. Every woman has the right to live, and to live with dignity.”
The dancing demonstration is the brainchild of the playwright and campaigner Eve Ensler, prompted by a shocking statistic that one in three women will be the subject of violence at some point in her life. That is a billion people.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 04:55 CET Kerry pushes for Gaza truce as death toll tops 700
- 04:36 CET Leaders of Taiwan, China offer condolences for 48 dead in plane…
- 02:57 CET Venezuela’s world-famous ‘vertical slum’ may be demolished
- 23:23 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 23:21 CET India bids to reassert influence in Nepal with power pact
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video