The ordeal is almost over for more than 4,200 people who have been trapped on a crippled cruise liner since Sunday.
A fire on the Carnival Triumph left the vessel adrift in the Gulf of Mexico.
The toilets on board were reported to be overflowing and a coastguard helicopter had to fly in an emergency generator.
Tugs have now managed to tow the ship closer to safety and they are manouevring into the port of Mobile in Alabama.
Some passengers have been able to send texts and make calls.
Nelly Betts, whose daughter is on board, said: “I am sad. I am depressed. I’m devastated. I’m very devastated. This has been going on too long. I know they could have had them home by now. It’s just been awful.”
The vessel left Galveston in Texas a week ago, and had been due back there on Monday.
The head of Carnival Cruise lines has promised passengers 375 euros each in compensation for what he called “very challenging circumstances.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 3Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 4Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 5Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 07:18 CET Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people…
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 06:18 CET China draws ‘red line’ on North Korea, says won’t allow war on…
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan
- 21:34 CET Latin American foreign ministers to discuss Venezuela unrest