The ordeal is almost over for more than 4,200 people who have been trapped on a crippled cruise liner since Sunday.
A fire on the Carnival Triumph left the vessel adrift in the Gulf of Mexico.
The toilets on board were reported to be overflowing and a coastguard helicopter had to fly in an emergency generator.
Tugs have now managed to tow the ship closer to safety and they are manouevring into the port of Mobile in Alabama.
Some passengers have been able to send texts and make calls.
Nelly Betts, whose daughter is on board, said: “I am sad. I am depressed. I’m devastated. I’m very devastated. This has been going on too long. I know they could have had them home by now. It’s just been awful.”
The vessel left Galveston in Texas a week ago, and had been due back there on Monday.
The head of Carnival Cruise lines has promised passengers 375 euros each in compensation for what he called “very challenging circumstances.”
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
“Three Amigos” summit presents a united front
Both Britain’s main political parties seem headed for leadership battles
The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
euronews reporter trapped on the tarmac as airport attack raged
Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
Wires > News
- 08:29 CET At least 18 killed by a roadside bomb in Somalia
- 07:07 CET Mongolia’s opposition MPP sweeps back to power on country’s…
- 06:41 CET Philippines’ Duterte sworn as president, rails against crime
- 05:29 CET China slams South China Sea case as court set to rule
- 05:01 CET North Korea’s Dear Respected Comrade leader gets a new title
- 03:12 CET At Pacific Alliance summit, Chile warns against isolationism
- 02:26 CET U.S. says Russian ship raised false signal in incident
- 02:22 CET U.S.-led strikes pound Islamic State in Iraq, kill 250 fighters