The ordeal is almost over for more than 4,200 people who have been trapped on a crippled cruise liner since Sunday.
A fire on the Carnival Triumph left the vessel adrift in the Gulf of Mexico.
The toilets on board were reported to be overflowing and a coastguard helicopter had to fly in an emergency generator.
Tugs have now managed to tow the ship closer to safety and they are manouevring into the port of Mobile in Alabama.
Some passengers have been able to send texts and make calls.
Nelly Betts, whose daughter is on board, said: “I am sad. I am depressed. I’m devastated. I’m very devastated. This has been going on too long. I know they could have had them home by now. It’s just been awful.”
The vessel left Galveston in Texas a week ago, and had been due back there on Monday.
The head of Carnival Cruise lines has promised passengers 375 euros each in compensation for what he called “very challenging circumstances.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 2Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
- 3Kyiv ultimatum to pro-Russian militia to disarm expires
- 4Australia avoids worst of Cyclone Ita but stormy weather still expected
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Kyiv calls for UN peacekeepers as pro-Russians approach Putin
- 1Missing flight MH370: ‘most promising lead’ yet as search crews detect two signal pings
- 2Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 5Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
Wires > News
- 05:59 CET Scores rescued from sinking South Korean ferry, two dead -…
- 05:42 CET China stresses need for stability at first meeting of new security…
- 05:21 CET Australian state premier resigns over A$3,000 bottle of wine gift
- 04:05 CET Recovery effort underway after two die in Australia coal mine
- 02:09 CET Iran’s Zarif not worried about pushback from hardliners on nuclear…
- 01:35 CET Thousands flee gun battle as Chad withdraw from Central African…
- 01:06 CET U.S., China in ‘productive’ talks after North Korea test threat
- 23:40 CET Bombs wound three policemen in Cairo