South African paralympic star Oscar Pistorius will appear in court on Friday after being charged with the murder of his girlfriend.
Model Reeva Steenkamp, 30, was shot dead in Pistorius’ home in the outskirts of the South African capital, Pretoria, in the early hours of Thursday morning.
Although judicial procedure in South Africa usually prevents police from naming suspects before they appear in court, a spokesman for the National Prosecuting Authority confirmed that Pistorius has been charged. Earlier, a police spokeswoman had confirmed that a 26-year-old man had been charged with murder and that 26-year-old Pistorius and his girlfriend were the only people present in the house at the time of the shooting.
There were no other suspects and there were witnesses, the spokeswoman said, adding that there had been “previous incidents” at Pistorius’ home involving allegations of a “domestic nature.”
According to police, the incident happened at 03:00 in the morning local time (04:00 CET) at the house in the high-security Silverlakes complex on the outskirts of Pretoria. They were called to the scene by someone other than the suspect and upon arriving there they found a 9mm pistol.
Unconfirmed media speculation in South Africa suggests that Pistorius may have thought Steenkamp was an intruder and that she may have been preparing a surprise for Valentine’s Day. One of the last Tweets she had send from her Twitter account on Wednesday read “What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay”.
Track star Pistorius, known as the “Blade Runner”, was the first double amputee to compete in the Olympic Games and is something of a national hero in South Africa. He was born without calf bones in either of his legs, which were both amputated in his infancy.
In races he uses carbon fibre prosthetic legs and for years dominated paralympic sport. He was allowed to compete in able-bodied sport after a 2008 ruling by international athletics’ governing body, the IAAF. At last year’s Olympic Games in London he reached the semi-final stage.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 4New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 5New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 17Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 18Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
- 19Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 20Raids across Turkey target media outlets linked to Erdogan foe Fethullah Gulen | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says birth control ‘treason’ against Turkish…
- 15:39 CET Russia watchdog blocks web pages calling for Navalny support…
- 14:54 CET U.S. leads 22 more air strikes against Islamic State – task force
- 14:28 CET Pope says Vatican administration is sick with power and greed
- 14:20 CET Five killed as Libyan forces and Islamist fighters clash in…
- 14:05 CET Police fire on Myanmar protesters, one dead, 20 hurt – reports
- 13:59 CET Germany sees no need to ease Russia sanctions despite minister’s…
- 13:54 CET Ukraine threatens to cut off power to rebel-held regions if usage…