South African paralympic star Oscar Pistorius will appear in court on Friday after being charged with the murder of his girlfriend.
Model Reeva Steenkamp, 30, was shot dead in Pistorius’ home in the outskirts of the South African capital, Pretoria, in the early hours of Thursday morning.
Although judicial procedure in South Africa usually prevents police from naming suspects before they appear in court, a spokesman for the National Prosecuting Authority confirmed that Pistorius has been charged. Earlier, a police spokeswoman had confirmed that a 26-year-old man had been charged with murder and that 26-year-old Pistorius and his girlfriend were the only people present in the house at the time of the shooting.
There were no other suspects and there were witnesses, the spokeswoman said, adding that there had been “previous incidents” at Pistorius’ home involving allegations of a “domestic nature.”
According to police, the incident happened at 03:00 in the morning local time (04:00 CET) at the house in the high-security Silverlakes complex on the outskirts of Pretoria. They were called to the scene by someone other than the suspect and upon arriving there they found a 9mm pistol.
Unconfirmed media speculation in South Africa suggests that Pistorius may have thought Steenkamp was an intruder and that she may have been preparing a surprise for Valentine’s Day. One of the last Tweets she had send from her Twitter account on Wednesday read “What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay”.
Track star Pistorius, known as the “Blade Runner”, was the first double amputee to compete in the Olympic Games and is something of a national hero in South Africa. He was born without calf bones in either of his legs, which were both amputated in his infancy.
In races he uses carbon fibre prosthetic legs and for years dominated paralympic sport. He was allowed to compete in able-bodied sport after a 2008 ruling by international athletics’ governing body, the IAAF. At last year’s Olympic Games in London he reached the semi-final stage.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Scotland referendum results live: the ‘Aye’ road or the ‘No’ road?
- 2UN warns over Ebola as Sierra Leone lockdown begins
- 3Which celebrities are backing Scottish independence?
- 4Scottish Highlands a spectacular battleground in the independence vote
- 5Obama meets Poroshenko in Washington pledging more support for Ukraine
- 1Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 2Russia: new EU sanctions look ‘strange’ says Putin
- 3Putin takes control of Russia’s defence industries and calls for new weapons
- 4Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 5US and NATO troops begin military exercises in Ukraine
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 9New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 14The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 15Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 16Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:43 CET Australian PM cites ‘chatter’ of attacks on government, parliament
- 02:53 CET U.N. to deploy Ebola mission as death toll reaches 2,630
- 00:57 CET Arab Bank never backed Hamas, lawyer tells U.S. jury
- 00:51 CET Armed Shi’ite rebels push into Yemen’s capital
- 22:49 CET Greek police, protesters clash during rally to mark rapper killing
- 22:10 CET Kurds issue call to arms as Islamic State gains in Syria
- 21:35 CET Three car bombs, mortars kill 23 in Shi’ite Baghdad districts
- 21:07 CET U.N. says five peacekeepers killed, three wounded in Mali blast