14/02/13 14:15 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
South African Olympic and Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murdering his girlfriend.
Reeva Steenkamp, a 30-year-old model, was shot at Pistorius’ home in Pretoria in the early hours of February 14.
Police said they would oppose his bail when Pistorius appears in court but refused to reveal further details about the case.
“Our forensic staff are still on the premises. There’s still detectives on the premises. So it would be very premature and also very irresponsible of me at this stage to say exactly what happened,” said South African National Police spokeswoman Denise Beukes.
According to police there had been reports of incidents of a “domestic nature” at his home in the past.
The State Prosecutor said the track star’s court hearing will take place on February 15.
Pistorius and Steenkamp had been together for about a year. A South African radio station suggested that Pistorius may have mistaken his girlfriend for a burglar and that she may have been preparing a surprise for Valentine’s Day. One of the last Tweets she had send from her Twitter account on Wednesday read “What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay”.
The 26-year-old, who is known as the “Blade Runner” was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics, reaching the 400 metre semi-finals in London.
South Africa has some of the world’s highest rates of violent crime, and many home owners have weapons to defend themselves against intruders. Pistorius’ complex is surrounded by a three-metre high wall and electric fence.
- 1Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
- 2All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
- 3Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
- 4Tension in Turkey after pro-Kurdish lawyer is shot dead
- 5COP21: climate change provokes protests of all shapes and sizes
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 4Crimea: state of emergency declared
- 5Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 13‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Latest News Bulletin
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
Palestinian shot dead after stabbing Israeli officer in Jerusalem
Questions raised after pro-Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southern Turkey
Sand sculptures stun beach-goers in Florida Keys
Monarch butterflies make annual migration to Mexico
Get your skates on! Massive ice rink opens in Moscow
Wires > News
- 10:54 CET Syria monitor – Russian air strikes kill at least 18 in northwest
- 10:42 CET Body of Russian pilot in Turkey, preparing handover to Russia
- 10:31 CET Austria’s Faymann sees compromise in EU-Turkey talks – Kurier
- 08:42 CET Burkina Faso votes to choose first new leader in decades
- 07:19 CET Colorado shooting suspect said ‘no more baby parts’ – reports
- 06:28 CET Lie detectors, solitary: How South Korea screens refugees
- 03:11 CET Japan’s tiny refugee community urges Tokyo to open doors wider
- 01:06 CET EU hopes for Turkish help to slow migrants at summit