South African Olympic and Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murdering his girlfriend.
Reeva Steenkamp, a 30-year-old model, was shot at Pistorius’ home in Pretoria in the early hours of February 14.
Police said they would oppose his bail when Pistorius appears in court but refused to reveal further details about the case.
“Our forensic staff are still on the premises. There’s still detectives on the premises. So it would be very premature and also very irresponsible of me at this stage to say exactly what happened,” said South African National Police spokeswoman Denise Beukes.
According to police there had been reports of incidents of a “domestic nature” at his home in the past.
The State Prosecutor said the track star’s court hearing will take place on February 15.
Pistorius and Steenkamp had been together for about a year. A South African radio station suggested that Pistorius may have mistaken his girlfriend for a burglar and that she may have been preparing a surprise for Valentine’s Day. One of the last Tweets she had send from her Twitter account on Wednesday read “What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay”.
The 26-year-old, who is known as the “Blade Runner” was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics, reaching the 400 metre semi-finals in London.
South Africa has some of the world’s highest rates of violent crime, and many home owners have weapons to defend themselves against intruders. Pistorius’ complex is surrounded by a three-metre high wall and electric fence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms
- 2Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released
- 3Burkina Faso military dissolves parliament
- 4NATO outlines ‘unusual’ activity of Russian military aircraft
- 5Investigation launched into unidentified drones over French nuclear plants
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 3International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 5European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 10Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 11What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 18Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 19US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
Wires > News
- 05:08 CET Japan coalition Komeito official says hard to raise sales tax as…
- 05:05 CET Obama urges progress in Myanmar ahead of rare roundtable
- 04:23 CET China says nets 180 graft suspects in overseas manhunt
- 04:22 CET Lack of mechanics threatens U.S. Air Force target date for F-35
- 04:21 CET Lack of mechanics threatens U.S. Air Force target date for F-35
- 01:58 CET Special Report – Tsunami evacuees caught in $30 billion Japan…
- 00:50 CET Ukraine, Russia, EU agree to natural gas supply deal
- 23:27 CET Italy union head accuses Renzi of seeking confrontation