South African Olympic and Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murdering his girlfriend.
Reeva Steenkamp, a 30-year-old model, was shot at Pistorius’ home in Pretoria in the early hours of February 14.
Police said they would oppose his bail when Pistorius appears in court but refused to reveal further details about the case.
“Our forensic staff are still on the premises. There’s still detectives on the premises. So it would be very premature and also very irresponsible of me at this stage to say exactly what happened,” said South African National Police spokeswoman Denise Beukes.
According to police there had been reports of incidents of a “domestic nature” at his home in the past.
The State Prosecutor said the track star’s court hearing will take place on February 15.
Pistorius and Steenkamp had been together for about a year. A South African radio station suggested that Pistorius may have mistaken his girlfriend for a burglar and that she may have been preparing a surprise for Valentine’s Day. One of the last Tweets she had send from her Twitter account on Wednesday read “What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay”.
The 26-year-old, who is known as the “Blade Runner” was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics, reaching the 400 metre semi-finals in London.
South Africa has some of the world’s highest rates of violent crime, and many home owners have weapons to defend themselves against intruders. Pistorius’ complex is surrounded by a three-metre high wall and electric fence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 11Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 15#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20Marine Le Pen criticises France’s decision to halt Mistral warship sale to Russia | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:44 CET Yemeni parties and Houthi rebels sign deal to end fighting, form…
- 20:55 CET Forty migrants missing after raft sinks near Libya – Italy coast…
- 20:46 CET U.S. military struggles to preserve options in Islamic State fight
- 20:13 CET Islamic State closes in on Syrian town, refugees flood into Turkey
- 16:03 CET Sarkozy takes swipe at French presidential rivals in comeback…
- 15:51 CET Iran prosecutor gives government 30 days to block social media
- 11:44 CET Families of German MH17 victims to sue Ukraine: lawyer
- 11:07 CET Wife of Alan Henning, Briton held by Islamic State, pleads for his…