South African Olympic and Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murdering his girlfriend.
Reeva Steenkamp, a 30-year-old model, was shot at Pistorius’ home in Pretoria in the early hours of February 14.
Police said they would oppose his bail when Pistorius appears in court but refused to reveal further details about the case.
“Our forensic staff are still on the premises. There’s still detectives on the premises. So it would be very premature and also very irresponsible of me at this stage to say exactly what happened,” said South African National Police spokeswoman Denise Beukes.
According to police there had been reports of incidents of a “domestic nature” at his home in the past.
The State Prosecutor said the track star’s court hearing will take place on February 15.
Pistorius and Steenkamp had been together for about a year. A South African radio station suggested that Pistorius may have mistaken his girlfriend for a burglar and that she may have been preparing a surprise for Valentine’s Day. One of the last Tweets she had send from her Twitter account on Wednesday read “What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay”.
The 26-year-old, who is known as the “Blade Runner” was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics, reaching the 400 metre semi-finals in London.
South Africa has some of the world’s highest rates of violent crime, and many home owners have weapons to defend themselves against intruders. Pistorius’ complex is surrounded by a three-metre high wall and electric fence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 5Denmark bridge collapse blocks motorway
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 11Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 15Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 18British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
Wires > News
- 18:49 CET Catalonia suspends formal campaign on Spain independence vote
- 18:04 CET U.N. Ebola mission head wants significant progress in 60 days
- 17:50 CET Hardline Buddhists in Myanmar, Sri Lanka strike anti-Islamist pact
- 16:57 CET Sri Lanka police stop online media workshop – rights groups
- 16:50 CET Bulgaria needs urgent reforms after Sunday election – interim PM
- 16:00 CET EU keeps Russia sanctions in place, sees ‘encouraging’ signs
- 15:47 CET Egypt’s Sisi delivers economic reforms but hurdles remain
- 15:06 CET Philippines recovers eight paintings from Marcos family