South African Olympic and Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murdering his girlfriend.
Reeva Steenkamp, a 30-year-old model, was shot at Pistorius’ home in Pretoria in the early hours of February 14.
Police said they would oppose his bail when Pistorius appears in court but refused to reveal further details about the case.
“Our forensic staff are still on the premises. There’s still detectives on the premises. So it would be very premature and also very irresponsible of me at this stage to say exactly what happened,” said South African National Police spokeswoman Denise Beukes.
According to police there had been reports of incidents of a “domestic nature” at his home in the past.
The State Prosecutor said the track star’s court hearing will take place on February 15.
Pistorius and Steenkamp had been together for about a year. A South African radio station suggested that Pistorius may have mistaken his girlfriend for a burglar and that she may have been preparing a surprise for Valentine’s Day. One of the last Tweets she had send from her Twitter account on Wednesday read “What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay”.
The 26-year-old, who is known as the “Blade Runner” was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics, reaching the 400 metre semi-finals in London.
South Africa has some of the world’s highest rates of violent crime, and many home owners have weapons to defend themselves against intruders. Pistorius’ complex is surrounded by a three-metre high wall and electric fence.
- 1Aylan Kurdi: the boy whose picture broke the world’s heart
- 2Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
- 3Artist pays tribute to Aylan Kurdi and Good Samaritan
- 4Bicske: Hundreds refusing to leave migrant train
- 5Turkey calls on nations to be more sensitive to the refugee crisis
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 3Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 4Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Bicske: Hundreds refusing to leave migrant train
‘We love peace,’ China’s president proclaims at WWII parade
Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
Turkey calls on nations to be more sensitive to the refugee crisis
MH370: experts now certain wing section is from missing plane
Wires > News
- 01:54 CET Guatemala’s president quits, jailed on corruption charges
- 23:49 CET Chinese ships headed home after Bering Sea sighting – U.S. Navy
- 23:30 CET Father of drowned Syrian toddlers prepares to take bodies home
- 22:32 CET U.N. experts accuse Chad of abuses in Central Africa conflict
- 21:14 CET Leading Islamist party faces test in local Moroccan elections
- 20:16 CET Iran’s Khamenei backs parliamentary vote on nuclear deal with…
- 19:05 CET Greek leftists put on brave face as poll shows conservatives…
- 18:48 CET U.N. to set up inspection regime to ease Yemen humanitarian plight