South African Olympic and Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murdering his girlfriend.
Reeva Steenkamp, a 30-year-old model, was shot at Pistorius’ home in Pretoria in the early hours of February 14.
Police said they would oppose his bail when Pistorius appears in court but refused to reveal further details about the case.
“Our forensic staff are still on the premises. There’s still detectives on the premises. So it would be very premature and also very irresponsible of me at this stage to say exactly what happened,” said South African National Police spokeswoman Denise Beukes.
According to police there had been reports of incidents of a “domestic nature” at his home in the past.
The State Prosecutor said the track star’s court hearing will take place on February 15.
Pistorius and Steenkamp had been together for about a year. A South African radio station suggested that Pistorius may have mistaken his girlfriend for a burglar and that she may have been preparing a surprise for Valentine’s Day. One of the last Tweets she had send from her Twitter account on Wednesday read “What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay”.
The 26-year-old, who is known as the “Blade Runner” was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics, reaching the 400 metre semi-finals in London.
South Africa has some of the world’s highest rates of violent crime, and many home owners have weapons to defend themselves against intruders. Pistorius’ complex is surrounded by a three-metre high wall and electric fence.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:01 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 18:54 CET Devastating Nepal quake kills over 1,100, some in Everest avalanche
- 18:37 CET U.S., allies conduct 15 air strikes in Syria, Iraq – military
- 18:00 CET Biggest Serb party in Bosnia threatens 2018 secession
- 17:56 CET Ghana can continue production in Ivory Coast oil dispute – tribunal
- 17:38 CET Indonesia informs death row convicts execution just days away
- 17:33 CET Exclusive – Brother says accused Tunisian was forced to captain…
- 16:49 CET Dutch detain three in French-led horsemeat investigation