South African Olympic and Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murdering his girlfriend.
Reeva Steenkamp, a 30-year-old model, was shot at Pistorius’ home in Pretoria in the early hours of February 14.
Police said they would oppose his bail when Pistorius appears in court but refused to reveal further details about the case.
“Our forensic staff are still on the premises. There’s still detectives on the premises. So it would be very premature and also very irresponsible of me at this stage to say exactly what happened,” said South African National Police spokeswoman Denise Beukes.
According to police there had been reports of incidents of a “domestic nature” at his home in the past.
The State Prosecutor said the track star’s court hearing will take place on February 15.
Pistorius and Steenkamp had been together for about a year. A South African radio station suggested that Pistorius may have mistaken his girlfriend for a burglar and that she may have been preparing a surprise for Valentine’s Day. One of the last Tweets she had send from her Twitter account on Wednesday read “What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay”.
The 26-year-old, who is known as the “Blade Runner” was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics, reaching the 400 metre semi-finals in London.
South Africa has some of the world’s highest rates of violent crime, and many home owners have weapons to defend themselves against intruders. Pistorius’ complex is surrounded by a three-metre high wall and electric fence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 5Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 12Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:58 CET Palestinians draft U.N. resolution on ending Israel occupation
- 03:06 CET Greenland votes to hold parliamentary election in November
- 03:01 CET Greenland’s parliament votes to hold parliamentary election
- 02:03 CET Mexico captures drug lord Beltran Leyva – government source
- 01:16 CET Mexico captures drug lord Beltran Leyva – government source
- 01:08 CET Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital
- 23:39 CET Israel’s Netanyahu to Obama: Don’t allow Iran deal that leaves it…
- 23:28 CET U.S. Army drops murder charges against soldier in slaying of Iraqi…