South African Olympic and Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murdering his girlfriend.
Reeva Steenkamp, a 30-year-old model, was shot at Pistorius’ home in Pretoria in the early hours of February 14.
Police said they would oppose his bail when Pistorius appears in court but refused to reveal further details about the case.
“Our forensic staff are still on the premises. There’s still detectives on the premises. So it would be very premature and also very irresponsible of me at this stage to say exactly what happened,” said South African National Police spokeswoman Denise Beukes.
According to police there had been reports of incidents of a “domestic nature” at his home in the past.
The State Prosecutor said the track star’s court hearing will take place on February 15.
Pistorius and Steenkamp had been together for about a year. A South African radio station suggested that Pistorius may have mistaken his girlfriend for a burglar and that she may have been preparing a surprise for Valentine’s Day. One of the last Tweets she had send from her Twitter account on Wednesday read “What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay”.
The 26-year-old, who is known as the “Blade Runner” was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics, reaching the 400 metre semi-finals in London.
South Africa has some of the world’s highest rates of violent crime, and many home owners have weapons to defend themselves against intruders. Pistorius’ complex is surrounded by a three-metre high wall and electric fence.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Topless FEMEN protesters storm German football TV show
- 2Britain’s Queen Elizabeth goes nuts over nibbles at Buckingham Palace
- 3China and South Korea react to execution of Jang Song Thaek
- 4North Korea outrage over behaviour of Kim Jong-un’s uncle
- 5CCTV footage of suicide bomb attack on Yemen Defence Ministry released
- 1Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 2Former Thai prime minister charged with murder
- 3Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 4Social networks respond to mystery sign language and Obama ‘selfie’ at Mandela memorial
- 5US considers sanctions against Ukraine as Yanukovych’s offer of talks with the opposition is rejected
- 22:03 CET Shooting reported at Colorado high school, 2 may be hurt -reports
- 21:59 CET Kerry says Israeli-Palestinian deal possible by end-April
- 21:44 CET Accused partner of Russian arms dealer convicted in United States
- 20:52 CET American missing in Iran was probing possible graft -family lawyer
- 20:49 CET World watching, will act on Central African Republic crimes – UN
- 20:25 CET Gunmen shoot dead 18 gas workers in northeast Iraq – witnesses
- 20:20 CET New leader Renzi boosts support for Italy’s main ruling party
- 19:59 CET U.S. sanctions move angers Iran, Russia sees threat to nuclear deal