South African Olympic and Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murdering his girlfriend.
Reeva Steenkamp, a 30-year-old model, was shot at Pistorius’ home in Pretoria in the early hours of February 14.
Police said they would oppose his bail when Pistorius appears in court but refused to reveal further details about the case.
“Our forensic staff are still on the premises. There’s still detectives on the premises. So it would be very premature and also very irresponsible of me at this stage to say exactly what happened,” said South African National Police spokeswoman Denise Beukes.
According to police there had been reports of incidents of a “domestic nature” at his home in the past.
The State Prosecutor said the track star’s court hearing will take place on February 15.
Pistorius and Steenkamp had been together for about a year. A South African radio station suggested that Pistorius may have mistaken his girlfriend for a burglar and that she may have been preparing a surprise for Valentine’s Day. One of the last Tweets she had send from her Twitter account on Wednesday read “What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay”.
The 26-year-old, who is known as the “Blade Runner” was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics, reaching the 400 metre semi-finals in London.
South Africa has some of the world’s highest rates of violent crime, and many home owners have weapons to defend themselves against intruders. Pistorius’ complex is surrounded by a three-metre high wall and electric fence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 3[Live] Ukraine: Lavrov announces agreement on roadmap to de-escalate situation
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Expectations are low as ministers gather for Ukraine crisis talks in Geneva
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 17:29 CET Iraqi Kurds entrench political faultline with Syria border ditch
- 17:11 CET Saudi activist sentenced to 15 years in jail for protests: lawyer
- 16:52 CET Burundi orders U.N. security adviser out after violence warning
- 16:49 CET Runaway spy Snowden is surprise guest on Putin phone-in
- 16:33 CET Exclusive – Syria submits more ‘detailed’ list of chemical weapons
- 16:24 CET Tunisian diplomat kidnapped in Libyan capital
- 16:05 CET Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors
- 15:56 CET Iran cuts sensitive nuclear stockpile, key plant delayed – IAEA