South African Olympic and Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murdering his girlfriend.
Reeva Steenkamp, a 30-year-old model, was shot at Pistorius’ home in Pretoria in the early hours of February 14.
Police said they would oppose his bail when Pistorius appears in court but refused to reveal further details about the case.
“Our forensic staff are still on the premises. There’s still detectives on the premises. So it would be very premature and also very irresponsible of me at this stage to say exactly what happened,” said South African National Police spokeswoman Denise Beukes.
According to police there had been reports of incidents of a “domestic nature” at his home in the past.
The State Prosecutor said the track star’s court hearing will take place on February 15.
Pistorius and Steenkamp had been together for about a year. A South African radio station suggested that Pistorius may have mistaken his girlfriend for a burglar and that she may have been preparing a surprise for Valentine’s Day. One of the last Tweets she had send from her Twitter account on Wednesday read “What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay”.
The 26-year-old, who is known as the “Blade Runner” was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics, reaching the 400 metre semi-finals in London.
South Africa has some of the world’s highest rates of violent crime, and many home owners have weapons to defend themselves against intruders. Pistorius’ complex is surrounded by a three-metre high wall and electric fence.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Gunman interrupts Dutch broadcast to demand airtime before being arrested
- 2Ukrainian artillery fire thwarts rebel plan to surround government troops in Debaltseve
- 3‘Positive signs’ Greece will work together with lenders to reach deal
- 4At least 27 dead in militant attacks in Egypt’s North Sinai province
- 5euronews sees damage first-hand in government-held city under rebel fire in Luhansk
- 1French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 2Council of Europe suspends Russian voting rights over Ukraine
- 3What’s the link between WW1 and Hungary’s 675,000 new citizens?
- 4Memories of rebel control in Kramatorsk
- 5Prisoner exchange in eastern Ukraine, as witnessed by euronews
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 3French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 4No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 5Thailand: Army urges respect for Yingluck Shinawatra impeachment
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 12:29 CET Blast at Pakistan Shi’ite mosque kills 20; more than 50 hurt
- 12:24 CET Man who forced his way into Dutch TV station had no terrorist…
- 12:14 CET Egypt’s Sisi cuts short Ethiopia visit after 30 killed in Sinai
- 12:04 CET Syria battle between al Qaeda and Western-backed group spreads
- 11:55 CET Ex-EU economic chief Olli Rehn to run for Finnish parliament
- 11:49 CET Islamic State attacks near Kirkuk, bombs kill 18 in Baghdad
- 11:12 CET Italy votes for president after Renzi shrugs off Berlusconi
- 10:36 CET Malaysia completes a third of undersea search for MH370