South African Olympic and Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murdering his girlfriend.
Reeva Steenkamp, a 30-year-old model, was shot at Pistorius’ home in Pretoria in the early hours of February 14.
Police said they would oppose his bail when Pistorius appears in court but refused to reveal further details about the case.
“Our forensic staff are still on the premises. There’s still detectives on the premises. So it would be very premature and also very irresponsible of me at this stage to say exactly what happened,” said South African National Police spokeswoman Denise Beukes.
According to police there had been reports of incidents of a “domestic nature” at his home in the past.
The State Prosecutor said the track star’s court hearing will take place on February 15.
Pistorius and Steenkamp had been together for about a year. A South African radio station suggested that Pistorius may have mistaken his girlfriend for a burglar and that she may have been preparing a surprise for Valentine’s Day. One of the last Tweets she had send from her Twitter account on Wednesday read “What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow??? #getexcited #ValentinesDay”.
The 26-year-old, who is known as the “Blade Runner” was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics, reaching the 400 metre semi-finals in London.
South Africa has some of the world’s highest rates of violent crime, and many home owners have weapons to defend themselves against intruders. Pistorius’ complex is surrounded by a three-metre high wall and electric fence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Twelve injured as huge storm lashes Australian city of Brisbane
- 2Heartbroken dog waits in vain for its dead owner in Russia
- 3Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage?
- 4Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 5Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 1Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 3Italy: Tourist fined 20,000 euros for damaging Rome’s Colosseum
- 4Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 5Thanksgiving turkey pardoned by president
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 3Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 4Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 5Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:02 CET Army brigadier general shot dead in Cairo suburb – sources
- 12:44 CET Finland votes to legalise same-sex marriage
- 12:42 CET Japan military chief urges early ‘crisis management’ pact with…
- 12:28 CET NATO unconcerned by Russian warships in English Channel
- 12:26 CET Czechs raise security after ministers get poison by mail
- 12:24 CET Exclusive – Indian Essar’s planned oil-for-steel deal tests Iran…
- 12:22 CET France to recognise Palestinian state if peace efforts fail
- 12:14 CET China rebukes Turkey for offer to shelter Uighur refugees