Investigators are examining the wreckage of a plane that crashed at Donetsk Airport on February 13. Most of the passengers were football fans on their way to a Champions League Game.
Five people were killed and nine injured when the 30-year-old AN-24, operated by Ukrainian firm Southern Airlines, overshot the runway as it went into land. The reason is not known.
Donetsk State Prosecutor Volodymyr Vyshynsky explained what happened on approach: “When attempting to land, the aircraft caught the meteorological tower, about ten metres up, with its left wing. It hit the ground with its right wing, and also with its right engine – the propeller of the right engine.
“After that, it flew over the runway and when on the ground, it flipped over and broke up,” Vyshynky said.
The head of Southern Airlines told local media that the pilot should not have tried to land due to heavy fog.
- 1Explainer: why the blue moon will not be blue
- 2Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
- 3Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
- 4Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
- 5‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
UK: Four dead as private jet crashes into car auction site
Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
Hillary Clinton urges Congress to end US trade embargo on Cuba
Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
Wires > News
- 04:47 CET Mexican judge suspends U.S. extradition order for fugitive ‘Chapo‘…
- 04:09 CET Exclusive – Donald Trump’s companies have sought visas to import…
- 02:55 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France for checks
- 01:40 CET Iraq’s Kurdistan laments caught in middle of Turkey-PKK fight
- 01:18 CET Eleven Colombian military personnel killed in plane crash
- 22:22 CET Mexican president’s approval ratings hit after drug kingpin’s…
- 22:20 CET Venezuela supermarket looting leaves one dead, dozens detained
- 21:58 CET Vaccine success holds hope for end to deadly scourge of Ebola