Investigators are examining the wreckage of a plane that crashed at Donetsk Airport on February 13. Most of the passengers were football fans on their way to a Champions League Game.
Five people were killed and nine injured when the 30-year-old AN-24, operated by Ukrainian firm Southern Airlines, overshot the runway as it went into land. The reason is not known.
Donetsk State Prosecutor Volodymyr Vyshynsky explained what happened on approach: “When attempting to land, the aircraft caught the meteorological tower, about ten metres up, with its left wing. It hit the ground with its right wing, and also with its right engine – the propeller of the right engine.
“After that, it flew over the runway and when on the ground, it flipped over and broke up,” Vyshynky said.
The head of Southern Airlines told local media that the pilot should not have tried to land due to heavy fog.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
US: Rubio under fire from rivals during Republican presidential debate
Haiti leaders clinch last-minute deal to form interim government
S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
Taiwan quake: young man pulled alive from rubble, as survivor search continues
North Korea launches rocket, defying international warnings
Wires > News
- 13:42 CET Algerian lawmakers pass reforms boosting parliament powers
- 13:36 CET Several dual citizens in Iran face espionage charges – official
- 13:16 CET In Aleppo, underground schools face bombardments and burnout
- 13:02 CET Air strike kills mother and child in Libya’s Derna – witness
- 12:31 CET South Africa won’t declare national disaster over drought
- 12:04 CET UAE says ready to send ground troops to Syria
- 11:27 CET More pulled out alive after Taiwan quake, about 120 people still…
- 10:16 CET Australia pledges aid to help Tonga, Pacific with Zika