Investigators are examining the wreckage of a plane that crashed at Donetsk Airport on February 13. Most of the passengers were football fans on their way to a Champions League Game.
Five people were killed and nine injured when the 30-year-old AN-24, operated by Ukrainian firm Southern Airlines, overshot the runway as it went into land. The reason is not known.
Donetsk State Prosecutor Volodymyr Vyshynsky explained what happened on approach: “When attempting to land, the aircraft caught the meteorological tower, about ten metres up, with its left wing. It hit the ground with its right wing, and also with its right engine – the propeller of the right engine.
“After that, it flew over the runway and when on the ground, it flipped over and broke up,” Vyshynky said.
The head of Southern Airlines told local media that the pilot should not have tried to land due to heavy fog.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 2International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fresh Israeli shelling hits UN school injuring scores of children
- 5Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 09:48 CET Greece evacuates embassy staff, foreign nationals from Libya
- 09:46 CET PR firm Edelman says its China chief is missing amid unspecified…
- 09:20 CET Japan offers vessels to Vietnam to boost its sea strength
- 09:12 CET Algerian capital hit by 5.5 quake, no reports of damage
- 09:07 CET Gas blast in Taiwan kills 25, injures 267, topples buildings
- 07:57 CET Disappointment, uncertainty after India blocks WTO trade deal
- 06:35 CET China’s Xi pledges hard strike against military corruption
- 02:42 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion arrives in…