Greece’s jobless rate has hit a new record of 27 percent as the austerity-fuelled recession there continues to take its toll on the labour market.
That was in November – the latest figures available from the country’s statistics service ELSTAT.
The situation for Greece’s young people is even grimmer. Almost 62 percent of those aged 15 to 24 are out of work
Greek unemployment was more than double the eurozone’s average rate of 11.7 percent in November.
Athens projects the country’s economy will contract by 4.5 percent this year.
The jobs situation is boosting the popularity of parties that oppose the country’s bailout deals.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 04:21 CET Ex-Hanlong head pleads guilty to insider trading in Australia
- 03:53 CET China sets deadline for clean-up of grey market margin financing -…
- 03:32 CET China signs off on 3.2 billion pound loan to boost Venezuela oil…
- 03:18 CET LVMH hires former Apple executive as digital director
- 03:16 CET China brokerages pledge 3.07 billion pounds more to buy shares -…
- 01:35 CET Argentina orders HSBC’s local unit to name new president
- 00:04 CET European insurers’ assets under management hit $11 trillion -…
- 00:03 CET Exclusive – China’s AIIB to offer loans with fewer strings…