French meat-processing firm Spanghero has rejected claims that it deliberately sold horsemeat labelled as beef.
It has released a statement saying it believed that it was selling beef. That was in response to the French government which blamed it for being actively involved and suspended its operating licence.
France’s Consumer Affairs Minister Benoit Hamon said “the investigation shows that Spanghero stamped ‘beef’ on horsemeat from Romania. Spanghero knew it was stamping meat that was potentially horsemeat.”
He also went on to add that Spanghero could also not have failed to notice that the meat in question was much cheaper than beef.
European ministers have now agreed to make the European policing agency Europol the coordinator to deal with the growing scandal.
Police in Britain, meanwhile have arrested three men on suspicion of Fraud Act offences after raiding a slaughterhouse and a meat packaging firm.
It has also emerged that eight horses, killed in the UK, tested positive for the painkiller bute and six may have entered the food chain in France.
England’s chief medical officer Dame Sally Davies says the highest level detected was 1.9mg of bute per kilo of horsemeat, which posed “very little risk to human health” as someone would have to eat around 600 burgers a day to be affected.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Students floated to safety from South Korea ferry
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Israel warns of “long-lasting operation” in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 4Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 5Spread of Ebola virus sees parts of West Africa placed under quarantine
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 10:19 CET Insight – Gold, diamonds feed Central African religious violence
- 09:34 CET U.S. judge signs order to seize cargo of Kurdish oil from tanker…
- 09:30 CET Australia issues arrest warrants over Syria severed head photos
- 03:51 CET U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- 03:43 CET U.N. blacklists operator of North Korean ship seized in Panama
- 03:23 CET Australian PM Abbott’s tough stance on MH17 paying off – poll
- 02:04 CET Police arrest four in beating death of China grad student near USC
- 01:24 CET Nigeria isolates hospital in Lagos as Obama briefed on Ebola…