An international team of Romanian, British and Brazilian palaeontologists has discovered a new species of pterosaurus called Eurazhdarcho in Romania. It is a flying reptile which existed during the late Cretaceous period, 68 million years ago.
Found during excavations on the Transylvanian plateau, the discovery is much more important than previous ones due to the remarkably well-preserved state of the bones, which are extremely fragile. Some characteristics of the wing bones show that they could also fold their wings and walk on all four legs when needed. With a wingspan of three metres and weighing no more than 10 kilograms, the animal was big but not gigantic.
“This is one of the most complete discoveries from the Late Cretaceous Period in Europe. Because the bones are hollow, they are harder to preserve in geological rocks. The bones have very thin walls. At the slightest touch, they break. This is why this partial skeleton is the best preserved,” says paleontologist Matei Vremir.
“One fragment has crocodile bite marks on it, with tapered chip marks here and there. There are wing bones. Metacarpal bones are very elongated in pterosaurs. In humans, the bone corresponds to part of the hand and to the knuckles.”
The discovery gives scientists new clues about how this group of pterosaurs lived. One of the newer ideas is that they spend their time in forests, fields and other places where small prey was abundant.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 9Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 18Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 19What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections