14/02/13 00:56 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Yulia Tymoshenko has been fined for failing to appear for a hearing where she is accused of ordering a contract killing of a local businessman and parliament deputy in 1996.
There were fiery scenes as riot police ejected supporters of Ukraine’s former prime minister from the courtroom.
The public prosecutor, Ihor Pushkar, believes she got what she deserved: “She released a statement in the afternoon saying she wished to be brought to court but this was clearly an attempt to delay the trial and manipulate public opinion.”
Despite suffering from poor health because of back trouble, Tymoshenko’s lawyer says she wanted to be present.
Serhiy Vlasenko said: “Yulia Tymoshenko stated both verbally and in written form that she demands to be present at the hearing. They are afraid of Tymoshenko appearing in public. They are afraid she will discredit their witnesses.”
Tymoshenko is also facing tax evasion and embezzlement charges and has already been sentenced to seven years in jail in a separate abuse of office trial.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Wires > News
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq