Yulia Tymoshenko has been fined for failing to appear for a hearing where she is accused of ordering a contract killing of a local businessman and parliament deputy in 1996.
There were fiery scenes as riot police ejected supporters of Ukraine’s former prime minister from the courtroom.
The public prosecutor, Ihor Pushkar, believes she got what she deserved: “She released a statement in the afternoon saying she wished to be brought to court but this was clearly an attempt to delay the trial and manipulate public opinion.”
Despite suffering from poor health because of back trouble, Tymoshenko’s lawyer says she wanted to be present.
Serhiy Vlasenko said: “Yulia Tymoshenko stated both verbally and in written form that she demands to be present at the hearing. They are afraid of Tymoshenko appearing in public. They are afraid she will discredit their witnesses.”
Tymoshenko is also facing tax evasion and embezzlement charges and has already been sentenced to seven years in jail in a separate abuse of office trial.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 21:19 CET At least four killed by car bomb in Kenyan capital – government
- 21:02 CET New law to lure investors to Egypt could feed corruption, critics…
- 20:52 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from US to…
- 20:29 CET South Africa platinum strike talks to continue Thursday
- 20:23 CET Italy’s Berlusconi to start community service work next week
- 20:20 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 19:55 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt
- 19:30 CET Bahrain says expels representative of Shi’ite Ayatollah Sistani