South African Olympic and Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius is spending Thursday night behind bars after being charged with the murder of his girlfriend.
30-year-old model Reeva Steenkamp was shot dead in the early hours of the morning at his home in Pretoria.
The pair had been together for about a year and police say they were the only two people in the house at the time of the shooting.
Known as the Blade Runner, Pistorius was lauded for overcoming his disabilities to compete with able-bodied athletes at the Olympics.
The double amputee is due to appear in court on Friday morning.
Prosecutor Medupe Simasiku said: “It’s put for tomorrow because the police are still busy with their preliminary investigations. Then it will appear tomorrow here in the Pretoria Magistrate Court at 9 o’clock.”
Pistorius lives in an upscale part of the city with three metre high walls. Given South Africa’s high crime rate, early reports suggested he may have mistaken Steenkamp for an intruder.
Police later confirmed that there had been previous incidents of a “domestic nature” at his home.
Pistorius reached the 400-metre semi-finals at the 2012 Olympics in London but suffered his first loss in nine-years in the 200 metre finals at the Paralympics.
Prosecutors said they would request that he be held in custody.
- 1Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 2Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 3Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
- 4Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 5UK police investigated over alleged child sex abuse cover-up involving former Prime Minister
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
ASEAN foreign ministers set to discuss South China Sea tensions
Nearly 1.5 million counterfeit cigarettes seized in Poland
California wildfires: Thousands told to flee as ‘Rocky’ ravages drought-parched terrain
Kosovo votes in favour war crimes court
Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
Wires > News
- 08:52 CET Pakistan hangs man lawyers say was a child when charged with murder
- 08:49 CET Good progress made on Pacific trade deal despite talks failure -…
- 08:47 CET Returning Uighurs attacked Thai, Chinese police, China says
- 08:35 CET Japan suspends work on U.S. base on Okinawa as Abe battles low…
- 06:06 CET Japan A-bomb survivors speak out against nuclear power, decry…
- 05:12 CET China’s foreign minister to visit Ebola-affected countries
- 04:10 CET Blast in Korean DMZ wounds two South Korean soldiers – military
- 03:59 CET Illegal immigration a dominant theme at Republican forum even…