South African Olympic and Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius is spending Thursday night behind bars after being charged with the murder of his girlfriend.
30-year-old model Reeva Steenkamp was shot dead in the early hours of the morning at his home in Pretoria.
The pair had been together for about a year and police say they were the only two people in the house at the time of the shooting.
Known as the Blade Runner, Pistorius was lauded for overcoming his disabilities to compete with able-bodied athletes at the Olympics.
The double amputee is due to appear in court on Friday morning.
Prosecutor Medupe Simasiku said: “It’s put for tomorrow because the police are still busy with their preliminary investigations. Then it will appear tomorrow here in the Pretoria Magistrate Court at 9 o’clock.”
Pistorius lives in an upscale part of the city with three metre high walls. Given South Africa’s high crime rate, early reports suggested he may have mistaken Steenkamp for an intruder.
Police later confirmed that there had been previous incidents of a “domestic nature” at his home.
Pistorius reached the 400-metre semi-finals at the 2012 Olympics in London but suffered his first loss in nine-years in the 200 metre finals at the Paralympics.
Prosecutors said they would request that he be held in custody.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 5Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 6British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 8Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 9Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 10Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 02:31 CET Panama arrests supreme court judge on suspicion of corruption
- 02:16 CET Canada police kill ‘radicalised’ driver after he rams two soldiers
- 02:03 CET Unfinished war in Sri Lanka threatens paradise regained
- 01:55 CET Total CEO Christophe de Margerie killed in Moscow plane accident -…
- 01:54 CET South Sudan sexual violence ‘rampant,’ two-year-old raped – U.N.
- 01:34 CET Polls shows Rousseff gaining momentum as Brazil election nears
- 01:20 CET Former Australian PM Gough Whitlam dies at 98
- 23:09 CET Polish ex-minister quoted saying Putin offered to divide Ukraine…