14/02/13 17:56 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
South African Olympic and Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius is spending Thursday night behind bars after being charged with the murder of his girlfriend.
30-year-old model Reeva Steenkamp was shot dead in the early hours of the morning at his home in Pretoria.
The pair had been together for about a year and police say they were the only two people in the house at the time of the shooting.
Known as the Blade Runner, Pistorius was lauded for overcoming his disabilities to compete with able-bodied athletes at the Olympics.
The double amputee is due to appear in court on Friday morning.
Prosecutor Medupe Simasiku said: “It’s put for tomorrow because the police are still busy with their preliminary investigations. Then it will appear tomorrow here in the Pretoria Magistrate Court at 9 o’clock.”
Pistorius lives in an upscale part of the city with three metre high walls. Given South Africa’s high crime rate, early reports suggested he may have mistaken Steenkamp for an intruder.
Police later confirmed that there had been previous incidents of a “domestic nature” at his home.
Pistorius reached the 400-metre semi-finals at the 2012 Olympics in London but suffered his first loss in nine-years in the 200 metre finals at the Paralympics.
Prosecutors said they would request that he be held in custody.
Latest world news
Forensic teams identify victims of Ataturk airport attack as relatives mourn
Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
Russia extends ban on Western food products
Atatürk Airport attack – why did it happen?
Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
Wires > News
- 04:38 CET North Korea’s Dear Respected Comrade leader gets a new title
- 03:12 CET At Pacific Alliance summit, Chile warns against isolationism
- 02:26 CET U.S. says Russian ship raised false signal in incident
- 02:22 CET U.S.-led strikes pound Islamic State in Iraq, kill 250 fighters
- 01:42 CET North America leaders mount strong defence of trade despite threats
- 01:34 CET Japan plans July fighter jet tender seen worth $40 billion as…
- 01:03 CET Home-grown militants and ex-major behind Bangladesh attacks…
- 00:48 CET Brazil could dismiss Rousseff the day before Olympics ends