In a surprise purchase ketchup and baby food maker Heinz is being bought by billionaire Warren Buffett’s investment group, together with private equity firm 3G Capital.
Including the debt that they will take on, the price is the equivalent of 21 billion euros, making it the largest transaction in food industry history.
Buffett – who is putting in close to 10 billion euros in cash – has recently expressed frustration that he has not been able to grow his company through acquisition.
Berkshire Hathaway already has a variety of food assets, including the Dairy Queen ice cream chain, chocolatier See’s Candies and the food distributor McLane.
For 3G the purchase is something of a natural complement to its investment in fast-food chain Burger King, which it acquired in late 2010 and in which it still holds a major stake.
Buffett, famed for a love of cheeseburgers, joked he was well acquainted with Heinz’s products already and that this was “my kind of deal.”
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 03:30 CET Aurubis flags potential El Nino impact on global copper supply
- 03:22 CET PBOC to inject 150 billion yuan via seven-day reverse repos
- 03:14 CET China August official PMI shrinks to three-year low of 49.7, in…
- 03:10 CET China official services PMI falls to 53.4 in August
- 02:45 CET Oil prices drop more than 3 percent as investors take profits
- 02:29 CET U.S. appeals court says bondholders cannot seize Argentina’s…
- 00:54 CET Apple partners with Cisco to boost enterprise business
- 23:08 CET China expands presence in Hong Kong with 45.61 million pound…