14/02/13 11:26 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Security forces in Bahrain shot dead a teenage boy on Thursday as protesters marked the second anniversary of the failed Arab Spring uprising.
The shooting happened in a small village near the capital Manama after a radical underground group called for a general strike and a day of civil disobedience.
Earlier in the week, riot police were deployed to disperse demonstrators and clashes broke out when tea gas was fired.
The main opposition continues to demand the freeing of dozens of political prisoners, who were detained two years ago.
Seven of them were interviewed by Amnesty International at Bahrain’s Jaw prison last month. All of them say they’ve been jailed on false charges or under laws that repress basic rights.
The human rights group also released a video from Maryam Abu Deeb, the daughter of one prisoner, Mahdi Abe Deeb, who is the president of the Bahrain Teachers Association.
“My dad has been prisoned now for two years, sentenced to five years for exercising his right to freedom of expression,” she recounted.
Dozens of people were killed during February and March 2011 when the original uprising took hold.
Human rights groups claim security forces used excessive force as they attempted to quash the protests. Many prisoners were allegedly tortured in the first weeks of their arrests.
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Syria fighting rages despite fresh efforts to end the war
- 3Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 4Austria calls on FYRM to close borders to migrants
- 5Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 1Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 14Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Latest world news
Warm welcome for Pope Francis as he kicks off Mexico visit
Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
Cameron meets Merkel in last pre-summit referendum talks
Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
Protests in Bahrain in run up to Arab Spring anniversary
Wires > News
- 08:59 CET Central Asia’s tallest tower, being built in Kazakhstan, hit by…
- 08:40 CET Myanmar army chief to get five year extension as talks with Suu…
- 08:16 CET Australian PM in second revamp of ministry ahead of elections
- 06:58 CET South Korea, U.S. to discuss missile defence; South cuts power to…
- 05:40 CET North Korea to halt search for Japanese abductees – KCNA
- 04:13 CET Quake hits eastern Indonesia island, no casualties reported
- 03:45 CET Australian hospital refuses to release baby for detention on Nauru
- 02:24 CET After 1,000-year split, pope and Russian patriarch embrace in Cuba