There has been an emotional ceremony in the Vatican where the pope effectively said farewell to more than 1,000 priests from the Diocese of Rome.
After stepping down as pope, Benedict will no longer be Bishop of Rome either.
Speaking unscripted for more than half an hour the 85-year-old said he will see out a cloistered life in seclusion once he stands down at the end of the month.
“Even though I am withdrawing into prayer,” he said, “I will always be close to all of you and I am sure that you will be close to me, even if I stay hidden from the world.”
It was the first time the pope has spoken publicly about specific details of his life after standing down.
Talk of seclusion might calm fears in some circles that the first living ex-pope for many centuries might continue to exert influence from the background.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Further gunfire, but also war of words over crisis in Ukraine
- 2Rival warnings echo growing US-Russia gulf over Ukraine
- 3Kenya government vows to hunt down al-Shabaab bus attack killers
- 4Recording of Philae probe landing on Comet 67P released
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 20:12 CET Tunisians vote for first freely elected president of post-Ben Ali…
- 19:54 CET Iranian-British woman jailed over sport protest released on bail
- 19:48 CET Police in Tobago investigate murder of German couple on beach
- 17:47 CET Thai king meets PM, ministers easing health concerns
- 17:46 CET Burundi opposition calls for postponement of voter registration
- 17:25 CET Dutch complete recovery of MH17 wreckage – government
- 17:21 CET Fighters from Syrian al Qaeda wing close in on Shi’ite village
- 16:44 CET Iraqi Kurds prepare Sinjar mountain offensive