14/02/13 15:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
There has been an emotional ceremony in the Vatican where the pope effectively said farewell to more than 1,000 priests from the Diocese of Rome.
After stepping down as pope, Benedict will no longer be Bishop of Rome either.
Speaking unscripted for more than half an hour the 85-year-old said he will see out a cloistered life in seclusion once he stands down at the end of the month.
“Even though I am withdrawing into prayer,” he said, “I will always be close to all of you and I am sure that you will be close to me, even if I stay hidden from the world.”
It was the first time the pope has spoken publicly about specific details of his life after standing down.
Talk of seclusion might calm fears in some circles that the first living ex-pope for many centuries might continue to exert influence from the background.
Latest world news
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
World No Tobacco Day: Plain packaging push to help smokers kick the habit
Brazil anti-corruption minister quits after ‘trying to spoil’ corruption probe
North Korea missile test off east coast ‘fails’, says Seoul
Wires > News
- 13:38 CET Ecstasy use jumps in Europe, no longer just a dance drug: report
- 13:35 CET With the most slaves globally, India improves response to the…
- 13:33 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 13:22 CET Philippine president-elect Duterte names cabinet members
- 13:06 CET Myanmar’s Suu Kyi to lead new effort on restive Rakhine State
- 12:36 CET Turkey officially designates Gulen religious group as terrorists
- 12:33 CET Nigerian sex trafficking victim – ‘Girls do not understand the…
- 12:32 CET Migrant crisis fuels sex trafficking of Nigerian girls to Europe