There has been an emotional ceremony in the Vatican where the pope effectively said farewell to more than 1,000 priests from the Diocese of Rome.
After stepping down as pope, Benedict will no longer be Bishop of Rome either.
Speaking unscripted for more than half an hour the 85-year-old said he will see out a cloistered life in seclusion once he stands down at the end of the month.
“Even though I am withdrawing into prayer,” he said, “I will always be close to all of you and I am sure that you will be close to me, even if I stay hidden from the world.”
It was the first time the pope has spoken publicly about specific details of his life after standing down.
Talk of seclusion might calm fears in some circles that the first living ex-pope for many centuries might continue to exert influence from the background.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 22:36 CET Vandals deface Pope John Paul II memorial before canonisation
- 22:24 CET Car bomb kills four in Kenyan capital
- 22:03 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 22:02 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from U.S. to…
- 21:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan offers condolences for 1915 killings of Armenians
- 21:40 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 21:28 CET U.S. Western Sahara draft urges respecting human rights, no …
- 21:02 CET New law to lure investors to Egypt could feed corruption, critics…