There has been an emotional ceremony in the Vatican where the pope effectively said farewell to more than 1,000 priests from the Diocese of Rome.
After stepping down as pope, Benedict will no longer be Bishop of Rome either.
Speaking unscripted for more than half an hour the 85-year-old said he will see out a cloistered life in seclusion once he stands down at the end of the month.
“Even though I am withdrawing into prayer,” he said, “I will always be close to all of you and I am sure that you will be close to me, even if I stay hidden from the world.”
It was the first time the pope has spoken publicly about specific details of his life after standing down.
Talk of seclusion might calm fears in some circles that the first living ex-pope for many centuries might continue to exert influence from the background.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 10Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 11NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 13‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Wires > News
- 15:11 CET Six powers and Iran to continue nuclear talks past deadline – EU
- 15:09 CET Brazil’s Rousseff tells paper she is uncowed by opposition calls…
- 14:41 CET Srebrenica resolution would widen divisions in Bosnia, Serbs tell…
- 14:18 CET Turkish opposition accuses Erdogan of stalling on government…
- 14:15 CET Judge quits Cambodia’s troubled Khmer Rouge trials
- 14:10 CET Six powers, Iran to continue nuclear talks past deadline – EU
- 13:57 CET Palestinians connect to Jerusalem holy shrine with ‘selfies’
- 13:50 CET Migrant sailboat sinks in Aegean, at least 17 missing